Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:06 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well the fact we had to bail them out tells me they don't have a clue what they're doing. I think it's very obvious there's a need for a small, no frills, affordably priced pickup to hit the market. There isn't one on the market now yet there are millions in the U.S. who have a need for a basic work truck. When the next recession hits the luxury pickups won't be selling.
We had to bail them out because of the big banks caused the biggest mortgage meltdown in history. No one we’re buying anything including contractors who bought pickups but no building was going on. People were loseining their homes and vehicles. So you can’t blame the automakers for everything. Apparently you know nothing about the automotive industry because if you did you would know Ford and GM, and Chrysler have cheaper work trucks without all the luxury you’re talking about.

https://youtu.be/gmxNvh1aE6k

Last edited by easy62; 12-02-2018 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:12 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well the fact we had to bail them out tells me they don't have a clue what they're doing. I think it's very obvious there's a need for a small, no frills, affordably priced pickup to hit the market. There isn't one on the market now yet there are millions in the U.S. who have a need for a basic work truck. When the next recession hits the luxury pickups won't be selling.
There’s no money in no frills affordable priced anything.
There’s two parts to this equation. There had to be a demand AND there had to be a profit to be made. The only way to make money in cheap cars is to sell an insane amount of them. Small demand equals no demand.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah but back then in the mid 90's early 00's the Ford Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee were huge sellers to a family of 4 and larger families tended to go with Chevy Tahoe/Suburban or Ford Expedition.
That’s still the case today.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Article from 2018 :-)
https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/...-make-comeback

Read the comment section.

I think carmakers are missing an opportunity. A small, no-frills pickup that millenials and retirees would buy. And, more importantly, would be a big hit with fleet sales. Think gardeners, pest control, parts runners, pool guys, etc.
They aren’t missing anything. They make trucks for those users. It’s called a base model. I don’t know why people say they can’t get one. It’s bs. I can walk in a dealer and buy a base model truck with no options whatsoever except the standard base systems. Most buyers would not drive a base model if given the choice. That’s why a work truck sells for next to nothing
Now the dealer may want to sell me the luxobarge gold plated unobtsnium model but it doesn’t mean I have to say yes.

Car manufacturers will make what sells to a large audience. The reason that midsize trucks no longer c8ne with solid front axles is becausecmost people do not do the type of off road requiring such stout drivetrain. Most people want a car that has a great on road ride and to be able to use 4wd in weather conditions. My wife’s Infiniti has a pretty advanced 4wd Auto system. It’s never been off road. We took it to Mammoth and Reno and Big bear, it has a nice luxury ride. If I wanted a off road vehicle I would buy a old solid axle truck suv or Jeep.

Jeep knows most of the Wrangler buyers do not off road their vehicles. They are buying a image which Jeep is selling.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Looks like a Jeep stylized Hummer, meh...

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
I like it...especially with the diesel but I bet it’ll cost $45k. Maybe wait for a used one at 30k.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s not a false argument. Ok how many people do you know that we’re foaming at the mouth beating on a dealers door to buy a wagon? I bet zero. Even if you knew ten people (highly doubt it but let’s play what if) a manufacturer couldn5 build the press to make a fender even if it made 10 cars.

Unfortunately when wagons were offered nobody was rushing to buy them. Sales declined and manufacturers aren’t going to make cars that won’t sell. Why would they. A manufacturer needs to sell x amount of vehicles for the line to be profitable. Otherwise it’s a financial loser and investors are ginna want to know why they are making a car that’s not profitable.

It isn’t about you or me or what we want in a car. It’s about offer8ng a item that is appealing to the widest group of buyers and making the most profit selling it. They dont care if you or I dont buy a car from them.
Subaru sells them by the shipload around here. It's only the US manufacturers who don't make them.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Subaru sells them by the shipload around here. It's only the US manufacturers who don't make them.
Buick just launched one: https://www.buick.com/crossovers/reg...x-luxury-wagon
Subaru’s are essentially crossovers, but either way, some niche markets are so small they’re not worth competing in. That’s why Subaru doesn’t make a Jeep or a minivan.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:38 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Buick just launched one: https://www.buick.com/crossovers/reg...x-luxury-wagon
Subaru’s are essentially crossovers, but either way, some niche markets are so small they’re not worth competing in. That’s why Subaru doesn’t make a Jeep or a minivan.
Correct we’re is a Subaru pickup i bet you see a buttload of F150 pickups also.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No moms bought wagons and then minivans, now cross overs. When Lee Iacocca inturduced the Dodge minivan it was a instant hit with soccer moms. Then GM and Ford came out with theirs but couldn’t compete with Chrysler and got out of the minivan business and left itt all to Chrysler.
Around us, the Soccer mom hit seems to cycle. For a while it was Minivans, then Jeep grand Cherokee, then soccer moms wanted to be cool moms and started buying dodge Chargers with 300 or more hp. Next came Ford flex because it was cool and different and fast (some versions) with loads of room and easy loading, and now is seems the Escape is the car you see in every driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive