Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:40 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,963,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m not pretending.

I do watch the road 100% of the time. I more then understand I’m driving a 3000 pound plus vehicle that if I hit someone it could kill me MY wife which would devastate me if she died because I dropped the ball. Or someone else. Because 99.9% of people can’t stay off thier phones for some STUPID reason “and it is stupid there in nothing on thier phone that can’t wait.” NOTHING. So instead of having half a brain these drivers aids create a false sense of safety.

And as I’ve said before with the ability to listen to 10,000 different radio stations
And have Apple CarPlay, etc. it’s just as much of a distraction as the cellphones are. If not else it encourages you to play on it while your driving, because of the false sense of security the drivers aids give a person.
As some one pointed out and maybe it’s true it’s my age. Maybe. Or it’s the fact that I understand that once you turn that key and put that car into D “ that means drive.” You taking your life and the lives of everyone you pass, etc into your hands. I’ll take something mechanical over some computer software doing it for me. Any day.
No you don’t. If you were a robot I’d believe you but I know you don’t stare straight ahead and look at your mirror every 7 seconds, never mess with the wipers, radio, AC, Heat: etc. for hours on end.
All humans are human and have human limitations. Any human that disagrees is lying or in denial. As you age, reflexes will become slower and senses will dull. You’ll eventually be the old guy with the ambulance behind them staring ahead completely oblivious to the situation.

The important thing to remember is your driving skills will not protect you from everybody else and there’s nothing you can do about it. You can complain all you want, but if you want everybody to pay 100% attention to driving you’re better off staying home. Everybody else having a driving aid is in your best interest. You don’t know this yet because you’re afraid of technology but Apple Carplay is your friend. It allows people to do a lot of the stuff they’d normally do on a phone via voice commands. You can complain all you want but pandora’s box has been opened and people are not going to ignore their phones regardless of your opinions about it. You are not in control here. The people who design driving aids are the only hope you have.

That being said, while some people believe what they want and reminence about the good old days, the rest of us can just read facts. Highway fatalities are half of what they were in the 1960’s. The last time it was this safe to drive was 1920.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto...n_U.S._by_year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:52 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,435,910 times
Even at my age 64 there’s no going back and i accept and like the new electronics in today’s vehicles. For those who don’t all i can say is the automakers are not going to go back in time , embrace new vehicle technology or keep fixing your older vehicles until you can’t get parts for them anymore. Like others have said we can’t go back in time i know some wise they can but the automakers are not going to.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Yep, for people who don't want all this newfangled stuff, I am sure that you can still look on the internet and find something like a 1968 Ford Galaxie or Chevy Chevelle, with a good honest carburetor and manual drum brakes, manual windows, no A/C, maybe power steering and AM/FM radio, and a lap belt as the safety equipment. I am old enough to remember those cars, and certain ones might be nice to have as a second car for nostalgia and tooling around town. But for a daily driver, no way.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
I read an article not long ago that said most people who have vehicles with lane departure warning actually keep it turned off because it annoys them.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusr...article/52/4/3

Old 03-08-2019, 07:15 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
No you don’t. If you were a robot I’d believe you but I know you don’t stare straight ahead and look at your mirror every 7 seconds, never mess with the wipers, radio, AC, Heat: etc. for hours on end.
All humans are human and have human limitations. Any human that disagrees is lying or in denial. As you age, reflexes will become slower and senses will dull. You’ll eventually be the old guy with the ambulance behind them staring ahead completely oblivious to the situation.

The important thing to remember is your driving skills will not protect you from everybody else and there’s nothing you can do about it. You can complain all you want, but if you want everybody to pay 100% attention to driving you’re better off staying home. Everybody else having a driving aid is in your best interest. You don’t know this yet because you’re afraid of technology but Apple Carplay is your friend. It allows people to do a lot of the stuff they’d normally do on a phone via voice commands. You can complain all you want but pandora’s box has been opened and people are not going to ignore their phones regardless of your opinions about it. You are not in control here. The people who design driving aids are the only hope you have.
You’re right I’m not a robot which makes me more aware of what’s going on around me at all times. Lane detection won’t move you out of the car of an oncoming car. If that’s what you those of you are hoping for, then your sadly mistaken. Your going to die and odds are so are the people in the oncoming car. Yes, I look down a my radio, etc just like we all do. I’m not scared of technology at all but it does have the potential to make things so easy that you slowly loose the ability to think for yourself.
I’m not THE perfect driver but I’m way better then the average driver. Voice command or not when the system isn’t hearing you correctly like on my iPad it’s frustrating. That in its self can be distracting and into the driver gets frustrated and that’s when mistakes are made. To each thier own I prefer thinking for myself and anticipation what the idiot next to me might do. You want the car to think for you then by all means be my guest.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
You’re right I’m not a robot which makes me more aware of what’s going on around me at all times. Lane detection won’t move you out of the car of an oncoming car. If that’s what you those of you are hoping for, then your sadly mistaken. Your going to die and odds are so are the people in the oncoming car. Yes, I look down a my radio, etc just like we all do. I’m not scared of technology at all but it does have the potential to make things so easy that you slowly loose the ability to think for yourself.
I’m not THE perfect driver but I’m way better then the average driver. Voice command or not when the system isn’t hearing you correctly like on my iPad it’s frustrating. That in its self can be distracting and into the driver gets frustrated and that’s when mistakes are made. To each thier own I prefer thinking for myself and anticipation what the idiot next to me might do. You want the car to think for you then by all means be my guest.

Good luck!
Ah yes, voice command... it makes me furious!

Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,435,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I read an article not long ago that said most people who have vehicles with lane departure warning actually keep it turned off because it annoys them.

They are stupid then it’s there for their own safety.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,085,198 times
I'm hanging on to my gadget free 1985 Toyota Supra for dear life! It only has 187k miles on it, I'm 69YO, and it looks like I'll be spared the torture of ever buying a new high tech gadgetry car. The most treasured feature on my current car: it doesn't yell at me for not putting my seat belt on!

Old 03-09-2019, 04:00 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,218,446 times
Cars were simple machines that ran by themselves until something broke, and that was self diagnostic, and could be repaired by anyone with a set of crescent wrenches who took a high school course in auto mechanics. They got people from Oklahoma to California during the dust bowl.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:14 AM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

For what it's worth, my 2019 Forester not only has lane departure warnings, it has lane-keep-assist (gentle auto-steering to nudge you back into the lane if you stray to the boundary line) and it has driver focus warnings - the next level systems. I haven't been tempted to turn either one off, and I am glad they are there to catch me. I have seen some people complain about these systems, and it's possible their car is defective and is giving them a lot of false positives. It's also possible that the drivers are defective *lol* and either don't know how to stay centered in their lane or how to keep their eyes on the road, and find being warned for bad driving "bothersome".

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-09-2019 at 04:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive