Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:58 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
On the inside of the car, I MUCH prefer knobs and push button controls. I personally don't need anything more than this.
Automakers are for cutting cost you take all of them knobs and times it by how many vehicles a automaker makes that’s allot of cost savings to then and it gives the dash a cleaner loo imo. Everything is flush and that makes it easier to wipe down. And now everything is a module design the whole dash is already put together then put in the vehicle and the wire harness are hooked up and it’s done in a matter of minutes. Hell Fords Kansas City Truck plant makes a F150 every minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 3,439 times
Fixing older mechanical cars is like going to blockbuster to pick up a VHS tape, fixing newer generation cars is like watching netflix from your living room, can be diagnosed and in some cases repaired with your smartphone or Consult type tool which is wirelessly connected to the ECU via OBD2 connector. Some people have always used the old method and don't trust or understand the newer tools but they make things super easy if you just bother to learn them. Neither is better or worse, just depends on what generation you are I guess.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
That question makes me think of the following that made the rounds years ago:

At a computer expo (COMDEX) Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated “If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles/gallon.” Recently General Motors addressed this comment by releasing the statement: “Yeah, but would you want your car to crash twice a day?”

Granted, computers are better now but I still have unexplained issues occasionally with the ones I use.
Apple would make a car 500% faster, but only runs on 5% of roads.

Fast forward: Tesla... which Apple or Google will eventually buy, as the "Apple Car" or "Google Car" and ... get your Teslas NOW before this happens, so you can have an "Original Tesla."

Old 03-07-2019, 11:35 AM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxp View Post
Apple would make a car 500% faster, but only runs on 5% of roads.

Fast forward: Tesla... which Apple or Google will eventually buy, as the "Apple Car" or "Google Car" and ... get your Teslas NOW before this happens, so you can have an "Original Tesla."

And probably available through Amazon.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
The OP's question is about computers doing the work for drivers. Sans high end, optional features, what work is being done for the driver? Drivers weren't injecting the fuel into the engine or cranking the power steering.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:05 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The OP's question is about computers doing the work for drivers. Sans high end, optional features, what work is being done for the driver? Drivers weren't injecting the fuel into the engine or cranking the power steering.
Lane change assist/warnings. Adaptive cruise control. automated speed warnings. Those are all becoming mainstream not only on high end cars.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:20 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Just different times. Comparing then to now makes no sense. I didnt mind changing points for a tuneup, or even the dual points setup I had, or having to set the floats on a new Holley you bought. To me that was the fun of doing it. If in this process some one would mention, you know 40 years from now, you wont need that standup tool box and all those tools, just something called a laptop. You would tell him, get the f%$@ out of here! Just a different time. I didnt mind that the phone was on the wall in the house tied to a wire. You adapt and move on.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
What puzzles me is why computer things stop working when they get older. They do not wear out like mechanical things can. they are not downloading malware or bloatware that can mess them up. Why do they simply fail or start going berserk after a number of years? Do they have programmed obsolesce?

For example. I have cd players, amps etc that re 20 or more years old and continue working just fine, while m car stereo changes channels by itself, calls people at random, suddenly is unable to recognize voice commands it has processed hundreds of times, etc.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
I have no idea what to think.

On one hand, I know the great benefits electronics have provided to cars and the transportation industry, hell everywhere. A lot of functions are dependent on a computer, a program, a series of coordinated actions, and are all in all, much better than before, or not even possible before.

On the other hand, I know of the consequences for a system that either has a lack of operator training, or an error itself, and operator training meaning the numerous variables required for a human to react to seems almost, or is, impossible, upon a computer issue.

But I think the rush to computer operated/assisted is more of the problem, if there is going to be a problem, than anything else.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:42 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep my wife 2016 Kia Sorento has a key ignition.
Every Porsche ever made has only a key ignition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive