Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:10 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yep, you're an old man. I can parallel park but haven't had to in over a decade. I don't need to drive a manual because automatics have been around for decades and knowing how to drive a stick is an unneeded "skill." Tires rarely go flat, but if mine did, I would call the free roadside assistance that came with the car.

None of that delineates who is or is not a good driver.

Go back in your mind to 1990 before cell phones were in wide use. Do you really believe automotive engineers were not already dreaming up all kinds of new technology?

You are clearly not a car guy, you are an appliance car user, strictly A to B. Pitiful, in a way, exactly like a wino who drinks Mad Dog because it is "...cheaper, and gets you just as drunk."

I won't try to explain the pleasures of being competent as a driver and a mechanic, to those who understand, no explanation is necessary, to those who don't, none is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 06:33 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Having computer controlled sensors to make an engine preform better is good except when the computer goes bad. I was having fuel injector related problems. Spent too much money and time trying to find the problem. I thought that maybe there was a problem with the ECU and was told 'can't be, they never go bad'. I replaced the ECU and all problems resolved.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:45 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Yep, you're an old man. I can parallel park but haven't had to in over a decade. I don't need to drive a manual because automatics have been around for decades and knowing how to drive a stick is an unneeded "skill." Tires rarely go flat, but if mine did, I would call the free roadside assistance that came with the car.

None of that delineates who is or is not a good driver.

Go back in your mind to 1990 before cell phones were in wide use. Do you really believe automotive engineers were not already dreaming up all kinds of new technology?
If people would pay attention to the road and stay off the phone I highly doubt car manufacturers would be putting DRIVERS aid in thier cars. It’s a gimmick to some extent insurance companies have done thier research based on accidents thier clients have. So now automakers are realizing that they can make money off people, who feel the need to look at thier cellphones while they are driving. The info systems are the same thing having apple car play, etc is still a dangerous distraction.

l wasn’t picky on you as a whole. As far as your having a flat tire I hope your some where you have a signal. No, you don’t have to know how to drive a manual gearbox. Not everyone can, odds are it’s too much for them multitasking and all. Yes, bad drivers are everywhere can’t help that but playing on your phone while driving.
I have no sympathy for you when you get into an accident either. You or anyone else should of never got behind the wheel of a car. Why? Because your an idiot for doing so.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Having computer controlled sensors to make an engine preform better is good except when the computer goes bad. I was having fuel injector related problems. Spent too much money and time trying to find the problem. I thought that maybe there was a problem with the ECU and was told 'can't be, they never go bad'. I replaced the ECU and all problems resolved.
This I can get understand making cars more fuel efficient, smoother, etc I get. But as I stated before the rest is crap.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Or nah? You don't mind the computer doing most of the work for you?

Now keep in mind cars have been increasingly electronic for over well the last 20 to 30 years, but in between the gap there is also what I like to call "technologically-transitional cars" so cars from the 80s to the mid 2000s may fit the bilm
I can work with newer cars simply because i bought the needed tools to do so.

I wish that they made the electronics more stout. One BCM breaks and you lose a lot of functionality. I wish they made them a plug and play rather than needing to take it to a dealer to program it.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If people would pay attention to the road and stay off the phone I highly doubt car manufacturers would be putting DRIVERS aid in thier cars. It’s a gimmick to some extent insurance companies have done thier research based on accidents thier clients have. So now automakers are realizing that they can make money off people, who feel the need to look at thier cellphones while they are driving. The info systems are the same thing having apple car play, etc is still a dangerous distraction.

l wasn’t picky on you as a whole. As far as your having a flat tire I hope your some where you have a signal. No, you don’t have to know how to drive a manual gearbox. Not everyone can, odds are it’s too much for them multitasking and all. Yes, bad drivers are everywhere can’t help that but playing on your phone while driving.
I have no sympathy for you when you get into an accident either. You or anyone else should of never got behind the wheel of a car. Why? Because your an idiot for doing so.
Have you ever seen the Jetson's? What about those 1950s ad for cars of the future? Engineers have been thinking about the future of driving for decades.

Do you really believe automotive design would have been over by 1990 if the pesky insurance companies and cell phones didn't get in the way?

Old 03-07-2019, 08:10 PM

732 posts, read 390,454 times
Quote:

Now keep in mind cars have been increasingly electronic for over well the last 20 to 30 years, but in between the gap there is also what I like to call "technologically-transitional cars" so cars from the 80s to the mid 2000s may fit the bilm
I don't mind the electronic engine control systems to some extent. Practically every American car I've ever owned had solid lifters and needed plugs/points/condenser on a regular basis and the lack of maintenance isn't a bad thing.

What I don't like is that the last little bit of emissions and mileage have been gotten with a lot more complexity on the margin. AFM on the GM LS V8s being an example.

I think that the real problem is going to be all the crazy electronics in the cabin. It'll be obsolete as all get-out in not too many years, will probably fail in mysterious ways, and is filled with OEM-specific circuit boards and whatnot. There's going to be a huge business in wrecking yard sourced Cadillac XLR convertible top controllers and the like I think going forward.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Have you ever seen the Jetson's? What about those 1950s ad for cars of the future? Engineers have been thinking about the future of driving for decades.

Do you really believe automotive design would have been over by 1990 if the pesky insurance companies and cell phones didn't get in the way?
I remember being told as a kid by my dad that by the year 2000 we all would be driving flying cars. I’m glad he was wrong. These days it’s more of a gimmick then it is useful people have it figured that because of these drivers aids, that they don’t have to focus as much as they did before. So insurance rates go up because people are too stupid to sit thier phones down while driving. And even if they do they still have the info system to distract them. It’s a win -win for the insurance companies.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:

I am old school, most of my cars are carbureted and have no computers. However, I recently finished up one for myself that has fuel injection and a computer, and I have to admit that it starts instantly and has no throttle lag. When something goes wrong, I am not sure how I will do diagnosing the problem, but we will see if and when that happens.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:26 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Hand-operated? Like The Flintstones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive