Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:46 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The OP's question is about computers doing the work for drivers. Sans high end, optional features, what work is being done for the driver? Drivers weren't injecting the fuel into the engine or cranking the power steering.
Computers made it so the driver doesn’t have to worry about maintenance on the system. And computers give you the right gas to air mixture to make Shute your getting the best mpg you can, that’s a savings to your pocket book. No more adjustments on a carburetor and especially the finiky choke.i gets it you don’t like the newer vehicles no one is making your get on either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Every Porsche ever made has only a key ignition.
Good their are still regular key ignition out there but they are fading away fast. Much simpler and cheaper for a automaker to use push button ignition than use the old cylinder type. I love push button ignition never have to dig into the pocket for a key. And if people forget to turn off a push button ignition then they are just stupid.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxp View Post
Apple would make a car 500% faster, but only runs on 5% of roads.

Fast forward: Tesla... which Apple or Google will eventually buy, as the "Apple Car" or "Google Car" and ... get your Teslas NOW before this happens, so you can have an "Original Tesla."
Don’t count on it apple is in no hurry Apple just dismissed more than 200 employees from Project Titan, its autonomous vehicle group.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:56 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Good their are still regular key ignition out there but they are fading away fast. Much simpler and cheaper for a automaker to use push button ignition than use the old cylinder type. I love push button ignition never have to dig into the pocket for a key. And if people forget to turn off a push button ignition then they are just stupid.
You can get them like I have in mine, a plastic dumby key that is in the ignition all the time (very hard to even get it out) It reads my normal electronic key that always sits in my pocket and I turn the plastic key to turn it on or off. Nice fixture to have and not have a push button which Porsche obviously won't do. Ignition is also on the left side which has confused the few girls I let drive it. Neither found it lol

Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Lane change assist/warnings. Adaptive cruise control. automated speed warnings. Those are all becoming mainstream not only on high end cars.
Correct Nisan is making it standard on all their vehicles except adaptive cruise control, but forward crash warning and land departure are now standard.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You can get them like I have in mine, a plastic dumby key that is in the ignition all the time (very hard to even get it out) It reads my normal electronic key that always sits in my pocket and I turn the plastic key to turn it on or off. Nice fixture to have and not have a push button which Porsche obviously won't do. Ignition is also on the left side which has confused the few girls I let drive it. Neither found it lol
My wife’s old Mazda cx7 had that type

Old 03-07-2019, 01:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think many of the auto electronics are a positive such as traction control but I think that some of the more recent ones are ridiculous and they are dumbing down the average driver such as the systems that prevent a collision with a pedestrian or another car. PEOPLE you need to pay attention when you are driving and remember when your Mom told you to look both ways before crossing the road? It still applies yet people get hit by cars all the time.

I am all for electronics that make people safer drivers but I'm not for anything that allows them to be less attentive.

I'm paying as much attention as ever, but I love my electronics. My side mirror lights up when a vehicle is along side me, my backup camera works great and if I approach too close, it beeps at me. Most of all I love the variable cruise control. I set it for 60 and a 4 car following distance and it matches the speed, up to 60 of the car ahead of me. When that car slows, so does mine, down to a dead stop if needed. I don't use it that way of course, I have my foot on the brake.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Correct Nisan is making it standard on all their vehicles except adaptive cruise control, but forward crash warning and land departure are now standard.
It's still optional or in higher trim levels on Kias & Hyundais.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
If people would get off their cellphoness they wouldn’t need adaptive cruise control and such, sadly it use amounts to lazy and bad drivers. Gods forbid the driver has to pay attention to the road.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What puzzles me is why computer things stop working when they get older. They do not wear out like mechanical things can. they are not downloading malware or bloatware that can mess them up. Why do they simply fail or start going berserk after a number of years? Do they have programmed obsolesce?

For example. I have cd players, amps etc that re 20 or more years old and continue working just fine, while m car stereo changes channels by itself, calls people at random, suddenly is unable to recognize voice commands it has processed hundreds of times, etc.
Technically computer parts should outlast mechnical parts but they seem to only show a little more longevity. The main problem that I believe is that computers used inside cars are not designed with military grade components. Capacitors, processors, memory, etc are very sensitive to static charge, heat and moisture. They usually go bad when the car is submerged or when the car is driven in very hot humid climate.

Most computer servers can run a very long time because it is usually in a controlled climate. Cars must use military grade components or they will fail and that's when the dealership charge you thousands to replace a dead ECU or control module, center console, etc.

This is why I hate big LCD and central console that controls every damn thing inside a car. They are expensive to replace compare to knobs and levers. There should be a warranty for these things that last more than 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive