Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Or nah? You don't mind the computer doing most of the work for you?

Now keep in mind cars have been increasingly electronic for over well the last 20 to 30 years, but in between the gap there is also what I like to call "technologically-transitional cars" so cars from the 80s to the mid 2000s may fit the bilm

It does not bother me because I have plenty of older cars that I can choose from. In the non-rusting climate I live in, you can find cars 50 and more years old still on the road, not just pampered garage queens, but also "survivors" that are still providing useful transportation.

I won't buy any of the newer cars, not new, and not used. I'm just not going there. I'm not sure what the "hard" cut off date is, but, if it has a computer screen in the middle of the dash, I'm just about not buying it at that point, at least I won't pay more than $100/ton.

If that makes me a curmudgeon, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 02:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
First of all “get off my lawn!

People had no problem before we had cellphones now people are getting into car wrecks because they are texting, Facebooking, etc while driving. If you can’t keep your steering wheel straight then maybe you shouldn’t be driving. You should be looking out that front windshield and checking your mirrors every few minutes. These systems are designed because people are NOT paying attention to the road. When pulling up at a redlight these days .99.9% of those drivers are looking down at thier phone. I’m willing to bet half the people on this forum can’t parallel park if not more. Who knows how many here can actually drive a manual or change a tire. What happens if your driving along and one of those safety features stop working? those safety features are dumbing people down. People don’t have to think just push the pedal and car goes.
Yep, you're an old man. I can parallel park but haven't had to in over a decade. I don't need to drive a manual because automatics have been around for decades and knowing how to drive a stick is an unneeded "skill." Tires rarely go flat, but if mine did, I would call the free roadside assistance that came with the car.

None of that delineates who is or is not a good driver.

Go back in your mind to 1990 before cell phones were in wide use. Do you really believe automotive engineers were not already dreaming up all kinds of new technology?

Last edited by charlygal; 03-07-2019 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-07-2019, 02:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
That is why when our car was having a computer problem, and a good computer proved to be very difficult to get, I found a really good buy on a 1966 Chevelle 4 door sedan and bought it.
As soon as the snow is gone, I will wake it up and be back driving it. No computers, no electronics of any kind except for the stereo, no air bags, and fun to drive (even though it has a Powerglide tranny).

Old 03-07-2019, 02:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Every Porsche ever made has only a key ignition.
Not every. As far as I know, the 909 and most other race cars after the 550 had no key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My truck is ten years old and has 159,000 miles. It should easily be good for another 100,000 or more miles. But I am having failure after failure of computers/electrical components. Mechanicals are fine. It is all the computer modules and some electrical things that are going bad one after another.
NVH and heat. Electronics don't like vibrations or heat
Plastics get brittle with age. Ever grab a wire from the 70s or 60s and have the casing come off in your hand?

Old 03-07-2019, 03:36 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yep, you're an old man. I can parallel park but haven't had to in over a decade. I don't need to drive a manual because automatics have been around for decades and knowing how to drive a stick is an unneeded "skill." Tires rarely go flat, but if mine did, I would call the free roadside assistance that came with the car.

None of that delineates who is or is not a good driver.

Go back in your mind to 1990 before cell phones were in wide use. Do you really believe automotive engineers were not already dreaming up all kinds of new technology?
I’ve been to GMs tech center in Warren Michigan, my father worked for GM they had a open house for their employees and their families, you got to test drive all the vehicles they made they had a test track in there it was a mile long track. They also had a tour of the engineering labs and the clay modeling department of different vehicles they are working on, they we’re working on cars that were more than 5 years away from going into production. We got to see the massive wind tunnels used to test aerodynamics. So the automakers are thinking well into the future, remember GMs heads up display it was well before its time, just like gms fir electric car in 1996 called the EV1.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:43 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What work is the computer doing for me in 2019 that it didn't do in say 1980? I drive lower to mid trim levels. The experience of driving hasn't changed much.

I get in, put the key in the ignition, turn, put the car in gear and drive. Where's the computer in all of that?

I turn my head to check for right of way, backing up, etc. Where's the computer?

I don't drive models with lane assist, accident avoidance braking, etc because I don't buy those trim levels.

The crap in the console/infotainment system is irrelevant. I just listen to the regular radio.

So what do you think computers are doing for drivers?
For you, not so much because you choose to drive lower trim (and subsequently, technologically dumber) cars but for everyone else who chooses to buy higher trim vehicles, the driving experience is vastly easier, safer, and less stressful.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:50 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
I’m 51 and I’m not opposed to technology but it’s has made things easier to the point where one doesn’t have to think about how to to said thing. Technology has made it easier to tell people that they are wrong and I’m right. where as a letter would take days to reach someone we can can text, email and as soon as you hit send they have it. Again I’m not opposed I just think we’re losing the ability to do for ourselves to some extent.
Its called nostalgia. There have always been stupid drivers. Let’s not prevent people didn’t used to drive smoking a cigarette with a full paper map unfolded while they were driving.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:13 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Its called nostalgia. There have always been stupid drivers. Let’s not prevent people didn’t used to drive smoking a cigarette with a full paper map unfolded while they were driving.
My younger brother was driving a semi in the 80’s and you sit way higher in the air and look directly into vehicles at a stop light. He said he has seen some crazy stuff people do while driving even bac then before vehicles had all this fancy new electronics. So to say that electronics in a vehicle make people lany no certain people are just idiots behind the wheel and do stupid stuff to cause them trouble.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:26 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
My younger brother was driving a semi in the 80’s and you sit way higher in the air and look directly into vehicles at a stop light. He said he has seen some crazy stuff people do while driving even bac then before vehicles had all this fancy new electronics. So to say that electronics in a vehicle make people lany no certain people are just idiots behind the wheel and do stupid stuff to cause them trouble.
Yep, I noticed all that back then. I never deluded myself into thinking those were the good old days. Same bad drivers just worse technology.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:29 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
First of all “get off my lawn!

People had no problem before we had cellphones now people are getting into car wrecks because they are texting, Facebooking, etc while driving. If you can’t keep your steering wheel straight then maybe you shouldn’t be driving. You should be looking out that front windshield and checking your mirrors every few minutes. These systems are designed because people are NOT paying attention to the road. When pulling up at a redlight these days .99.9% of those drivers are looking down at thier phone. I’m willing to bet half the people on this forum can’t parallel park if not more. Who knows how many here can actually drive a manual or change a tire. What happens if your driving along and one of those safety features stop working? those safety features are dumbing people down. People don’t have to think just push the pedal and car goes.
I agree with most of your post except two points:

1) Whether or not you can drive a stick-shift is totally irrelevant regarding if you're a good or safe driver, and,

2) I think most every driver understands the concept of changing a tire but most of us would rather call roadside assistance (which every or almost every automaker provides) than go through the hassle involved with changing a tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive