Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:05 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,067,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Oh I forgot the Chinese and the leftists. No good conspiracy is complete without them.
No, no, no, no. It's the Knights Templar and the secret battery is buried on Oak Island.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:23 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Default Pure Evil Is Coming

If you think EVs are sinister, wait until you get a look at the upcoming KFC donut-chicken sandwich!
https://www.usmagazine.com/food/news...doughnut-buns/

Clearly, this can only be an exercise in extreme totalitarian gubmint mind control, by Communists, working with the UN, and Martians! I mean, what else could it possibly be??? And you know what's really telling - KFC announced this sandwich, and the White House said NOTHING, not one word! OMG!!! The only people who won't see this coming, are sheep who can't handle the real truth! PATRIOTS, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EAT THIS SANDWICH WITHOUT WEARING YOUR TINFOIL HAT!!!

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-22-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 01:11 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Anyhow, anecdotally, one of my friends has a 2011 Chevy Volt which he commutes with daily, and loves. It's a comfortable enough hatchback, has good cargo room, quiet, quick off the line and handles decently. The battery is only good for 35 miles but that's been covering 90% of his driving (mostly his commute and shopping) for the past 8 years. The car mostly just cycles on the engine every few months to cycle out gasoline before it goes stale.

Sure, a battery which can take an F150 500+ miles in a single charge is going to be cost prohibitive, but what about a battery 4% that size, which covers the first 20 miles? I could get back and forth to work on that, and still go on road trips with dinosaur bones.
Well, it's gone now because people couldn't grasp this simple concept.
But that's ok... used ones are cheap and I want one.

Not a Volt, they're not nice enough... the Cadillac counterpart.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:15 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No, no, no, no. It's the Knights Templar and the secret battery is buried on Oak Island.
Under land that was once owned by the Rothschilds.

And battery spelled backwards is yrettab, which as everyone knows, was the name and of Barack Obama’s 4th cousin.

Coincidence? I think not.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
They've never find it. Those Oak Island guys never find anything.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,094 times
Lots of good points and arguments made here. I believe EV are good for “certain” people especially homeowners that can charge up at any time and commute short distances to work, or for personal reasons.

But for the folks that live in apartments or condos and have long commute times it’s just not realistic to own such a vehicle.

Considering all the hype on electric cars, there hasn’t been a major construction boom in charging stations from what I can see especially in smaller metros. I believe the most common sense method would be to install charging stations within gas stations.

It could be that we live in such a world where so many people are overly sensitive and take every little thing so damn personal. It’s like “Let’s ban gas powered cars and trucks because they’re so noisy and fart smells come from the exhaust” I can totally see environmentalist being in uproar over such a lame complaint.

First of all new gas powered vehicles are extremely quiet compared to say cars and trucks from the past. And when was the last time you smelt strong exhaust fumes from something built within the last 5-7 years unless the car is really old? Modern emission components in ICE pollute such a low amount of HC and NOX that it isn’t really a concern anymore in terms of harm goin into the atmosphere.

I do see this push eventually becoming a way to control the people. Think about it, if there was ever a massive power outage to the grid for a long period of time, an EV would be useless, on the other hand a ICE can still be driven, no problem.

There’s positive and negatives to both situations, I just don’t want the government to eventually completely ban gas powered vehicles, but as a Californian I wouldn’t be surprised if the far left ultra Liberal Democratic governor Gavin Newsom will eventually pass a bill that would phased them out sooner rather than later.

There has to be a balance on how to do things in Gov, but CA always seems to do things to the extremes without compromise or how it will affect everyday Californians. Like the 12 cent increase in the gas tax that was supposed to go to fixing our roads and infrastructure, well that hasn’t happened as promised.

The streets and infrastructure in San Diego is atrocious and crumbling. Yet there’s no excuse for such horrible maintenance for our streets and freeways when we don’t have the kind of severe weather like other states have that causes so much damage to the asphalt. It would be unwise for the state to completely ban gas powered vehicles as those tax dollars from the gas tax will be eliminated.

I just wonder how all of this will play out.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
:
I do see this push eventually becoming a way to control the people. Think about it, if there was ever a massive power outage to the grid for a long period of time, an EV would be useless, on the other hand a ICE can still be driven, no problem.
:
I just wonder how all of this will play out.
Absolutely! Jest like them newfangled electrified light bulbs! Afore everybody could see jest fine with candles, oil lamps and gas lamps. Then the gubmint forced everyone to get electric light bulbs! Why? Whut were they up to? Of course, the only possible reason is that it's a massive conspiracy to control the people. We've been controlled by our electric lightbulbs for over 100 years now. Oh Lordy, Ah'm a'gonna throw out all my electric lamps today! Yew can't outsmart me, gubmint! We the people, are on to you!

Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times

Seriously? Best you can possibly imagine?
You do understand that, being pretty much a rolling computer with undisclosed operational algorithms, any or all of those vehicles can be remotely shut down, as example?
Or, any "autonomous" vehicle can be redirected anywhere one with the know how wishes?
Even not so advanced cars already were remotely controlled from a driving by vehicles several years ago and Onstar, for example, can shut down a stolen car.

Of course, it is all "for the best of the children and penguins" but, in case of necessity, you may end up with a vehicles that simply trapped you.
Ha ha ha, how funny may someone say. Just keep in mind, if it possible - someone WILL do it.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:06 PM

407 posts, read 1,559,266 times
When was the last time you saw gas stations operating during a major power outage? You could drive your ICE vehicles till you ran out of gas.... like the EVs till their batteries died.

Next theory?

Old 09-23-2019, 07:34 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
What do you mean pushed? Amazon makes decisions based on economics. This makes more financial sense for them than buying ICE trucks. That’s why they’re doing it.

Urban delivery trucks are the one niche better filled by EV than ICE- in service only 8 hrs or so a day, they have 16 hrs to re-charge over night and don't have to remain running in idle while loading or unloading.

Quote:
Oil companies don’t government subsidies???

Tesla’s tax credits dropped and they outsold all other cars in their segment.

That makes them the best of the losers, I guess.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/drillin.../#64da85746e1c

Govt subsidies are only about 1% of BigOil's revenues and are dwarfed by the taxes they pay back.

OTOH- Musk's (ie- Tesla) real talent is cashing in on govt subsidies. Every single one of their endeavors in the EV, battery & aerospace fields would not exist if it weren't for govt subsidies. BTW- Tesla's gross valuation just happens to be exactly the amount they receive each yr in govt subsidies. Amazing coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive