Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:11 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I just got done reading the story of the guy that first came up with running vaporized fuel, and how he was getting close to 80mpg...and this was decades ago, govt tried all they all could to shut him down, he survived one assassination attempt, just by the skin of his teeth, but ultimately he died of a mysterious overdose a year later...so they got to him after all, its not in their best interest for vehicles to be THAT economical.

That's BS and you should know it. Same with the supposed 200mpg carburator. If it was available to do it, countries like Japan would have already done it, as fuel mileage for them drove them to make kei cars and the like. And no one would have built an EV that doesn't need gas at all, or been allowed to use (and make and sell kits to use) waste veggie oil to run cars on.

My Volt has a MPG display that shows total and average MPG when running on battery and gas with the generator running. It'll show 250+ mpg on my commute. If your conspiracy theory was correct, the people in charge of developing it should have been assassinated, right?

Old 09-24-2019, 07:27 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
OP,
yes, there seems to be heavy push for EV, but it's hard to tell the reason.

The way things stand right now:

1) EV are only good for max ~3 hours driving a day (75mph limit * 3hours = 225 miles range). Add winter conditions, "real" road conditions, and you are lucky to get even that far. Yeah, they promise longer distances now, but so far it's just that: promises, not a real cars.
2) No infrastructure for EV across US.

So, EV for right now is good only for office workers that drive it only within the city for a daily commute. As soon as those poor souls will want to get out (vacation, or just day trip to somewhere, or getaway for a weekend, or anything require longer drive) they are doomed. They will either need to buy an extra ICE car (hilarious, right?), or rent an ICE car. Either way, these are expenses on top of owning EV. With the absence of infrastructure nobody gonna dare to travel EV beyond half of its range. Once EV charge stations will be placed with the same density as gas stations, things might change, but it's a long story that will take years.

Unless you life exclusively consists of a "home-work-home" route without ever stepping to a side, EV will cost way more than ICE as of right now.

So, may be that's the goal of those companies pushing EVs - to sell you two cars (EV + ICE) instead of just one (ICE)?
Well, my EV can get 310 miles on a full charge. We charge it to 280 miles for daily use. There are charging stations everywhere, but I’ve never been to one because we plug it in every night and wake up to a full charge. It can make it easily from Denver to Vail and back in the winter.

You must be single, but many adults are not. As a four person, two adult household, we have two cars. One EV and one ICE.

If I did want to road trip in our car, the Tesla Supercharger network is vast. After 250 miles of driving I would simply need to take a break for about a half an hour and then be on the road again.

Tell me how that isn’t practical.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-24-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 07:28 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Just about every news article regarding the future of transportation in the world seems to be EV and autonomous ways to get around while the ICE will slowly go away into extinction.

But why?

Why is the government pushing this agenda so severely? They say it’s to help fight climate change and reduce pollution levels, but I think the government will always find ways to ban something, and eventually ban EV because once they become mainstream, the cause of pollution and or the strain on natural resources will then be blamed on the huge increases on battery production, and the disposal of old batteries compared to a basic 12 volt battery in a ICE today.

Almost forgot to mention the extreme strain on the power grid systems once EV will become a norm. The long charging times and the expense it will have on consumers will be counter intuitive. I can fill up a tank of gas in my car in a few minutes or less, while having to charge an EV can take hours. It’s not realistic for many people in such a busy fast paced world we live in today.

Onto autonomous vehicles. The heavy push by automakers, including the government leads me to believe that they want to force the public out of vehicle ownership. I can see the future being strictly leased based, where automakers will charge a big rate in order for the public to be able to use an autonomous car/truck/cuv.

No longer will we be able to have control over what we buy, rather, the government and auto manufacturers will cry “it’s all about safety, and saving lives” in order to pass in their agenda on revoking ownership of automobiles because humans are inherently flawed and that somehow a computer will be able to drive better than humans. Well the argument is, what happens when those computers malfunction and or have problems? The complexity of it all will make EV combined with autonomous vehicles more prone to break downs and very expensive to fix.

No more fun, no more ownership, as vehicle transportation will be seen as a luxury that only the wealthy can afford.

What do you say? Is there something shady going on behind close doors amongst our Governments and Automakers?
To the OP - Would you mind showing one example of the government actively pushing the agenda of adoption of electric vehicles? I checked the White House website and didn’t see anything mentioned there. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:37 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
It's not complicated. 35,000 plus every year. That's just the ones that die. People suck at driving, just a fact. Now I think until the autonomous cars roll out which won't be in five years they could start with just having reasonable standards on who is allowed to drive but that's besides the point.

As far as EV autonomous, that's just going to perpetuate personal vehicle ownership. Where I'd really like to live it's three hours each way. I can't commute that but stick me in an autonomous vehicle and that's just three hours of work time. Of course not everyone has a desk job they can do 75 percent of the time remotely but many do.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:42 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
To the OP - Would you mind showing one example of the government actively pushing the agenda of adoption of electric vehicles? I checked the White House website and didn’t see anything mentioned there. Thanks in advance.
7,500 federal tax credit. More early adopter than whole agenda, but there's momentum to make it permanent which may or may not happen. Trump would be more likely to push coal powered steam vehicles than EV. Which is kind of funny since coal is where we get most of our electricity so EV is coal.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Do you have a link showing the government is pushing autonomous cars?

I see it coming from private industry. If you haven't noticed the trend is toward robotics and self driving cars is just one version of that. It will eliminate the need for drivers of taxis and service vehicles. I question if it will catch on with consumers though. Self-driving cars tend to drive extremely defensively which means slow and cautious. People tend to speed when they can. I cannot see a parent plopping their child into a self driving car and sending the kid off to school that way either.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:54 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,424 times
The once-teenage SciFi reader in me says is so that when the EMP attack comes, everyone will be at the mercy of the overlords. Reminds me of a Rush song....

Old 09-24-2019, 12:47 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
7,500 federal tax credit. More early adopter than whole agenda, but there's momentum to make it permanent which may or may not happen. Trump would be more likely to push coal powered steam vehicles than EV. Which is kind of funny since coal is where we get most of our electricity so EV is coal.
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...-in-the-us.php

Last year, electricity production in the US from coal constituted 27% of electrical production and has likely been trending downwards since. Combined renewable energy production is probably be at parity with coal for electrical production in the US by the end of 2020.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:26 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The dealerships HATE electric vehicles. There is almost no maintenance compared to ICE cars. No oil changes. No transmission services. Rare brake jobs. They are actively trying to slow the rollouts.
Almost no maintenance. Absolutely. Even with our existing ICE cars. No one has ever had a power window, a power door lock, a remote mirror control, a power seat fail. Virtually all the electric systems of our cars have been almost trouble free, Right?

Old 09-24-2019, 01:36 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
The once-teenage SciFi reader in me says is so that when the EMP attack comes, everyone will be at the mercy of the overlords. Reminds me of a Rush song....
Red Barchetta ...great song
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive