Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 05:50 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times

Advertisements

Just about every news article regarding the future of transportation in the world seems to be EV and autonomous ways to get around while the ICE will slowly go away into extinction.

But why?

Why is the government pushing this agenda so severely? They say it’s to help fight climate change and reduce pollution levels, but I think the government will always find ways to ban something, and eventually ban EV because once they become mainstream, the cause of pollution and or the strain on natural resources will then be blamed on the huge increases on battery production, and the disposal of old batteries compared to a basic 12 volt battery in a ICE today.

Almost forgot to mention the extreme strain on the power grid systems once EV will become a norm. The long charging times and the expense it will have on consumers will be counter intuitive. I can fill up a tank of gas in my car in a few minutes or less, while having to charge an EV can take hours. It’s not realistic for many people in such a busy fast paced world we live in today.

Onto autonomous vehicles. The heavy push by automakers, including the government leads me to believe that they want to force the public out of vehicle ownership. I can see the future being strictly leased based, where automakers will charge a big rate in order for the public to be able to use an autonomous car/truck/cuv.

No longer will we be able to have control over what we buy, rather, the government and auto manufacturers will cry “it’s all about safety, and saving lives” in order to pass in their agenda on revoking ownership of automobiles because humans are inherently flawed and that somehow a computer will be able to drive better than humans. Well the argument is, what happens when those computers malfunction and or have problems? The complexity of it all will make EV combined with autonomous vehicles more prone to break downs and very expensive to fix.

No more fun, no more ownership, as vehicle transportation will be seen as a luxury that only the wealthy can afford.

What do you say? Is there something shady going on behind close doors amongst our Governments and Automakers?

Old 09-21-2019, 06:07 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Are you seriously not knowing why? Isn't this obvious?

It's crowd control.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:59 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Oh god. Yes it’s a conspiracy. The same government that is attempting to block State’s rights to set emission regulations is really pushing for Electric Vehicles. I guess it must really be the international bankers. They’re usually the ones behind this stuff, right?

Find a hobby.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-21-2019 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 07:30 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
It's in America's best interest (economy of scale) for all the world's cars to be designed for US driving conditions, even though 3/4 of all new cars will never be driven on roads where electric and/or autonomous can be of advantage.

Try turning an autonomous car loose in Hanoi and see if it can figure out how to get away from the curb.. Or see how much it costs to plug one in in Manla.

Last edited by cebuan; 09-21-2019 at 07:44 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 12:01 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
*sigh*.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 AM

40 posts, read 31,359 times
With California trying to set its own mileage standards, it is just bureaucrats throwing their weight around to justify their jobs, supported by a segment of the population swept up by smug virtue signalling. "Oh the EPA sets mileage standards at level 1.0X? Well, I will set it at 1.1X because we are so much more virtuous (care about the environment more).

The global warming argument is obviously bogus. The temperature data is manipulated, and the one obvious signal that nobody could deny -- excess sea level rise -- hasn't occurred. The warnings of sea level rise are always speculative, and their incorrect estimates of decades past conveniently forgotten.

If it were really that serious, we wouldn't be trying to phase in electric cars over decades, we would be mandating them en masse immediately, because we are constantly told global warming is the end of the world. But nobody really believes it or if they do it just isn't that urgent, because no one would give up the convenience of a car when they were all internal combustion engine. Face it, if we really wanted to, we could almost all leave the suburbs and move to the city and ride buses/bicycles. Today, some people will give up the internal combustion engine, but only because there is an alternative they can afford that does not cost them any convenience. No one believes global warming enough to cause themselves any serious inconvenience.

But electric cars will not be the end of it. There will ALWAYS be something else. Global warming is the evil that cannot be solved, otherwise the busy-bodies and the bureaucrats would have no excuse to control your lives and take your money. Next thing you know, electric cars will be required to get certain MPGe ratings, or the price of electricity will go up so only the upper middle class can afford it. They will feel virtuous, and the lower middle classes won't be able to afford it but won't understand why if they don't see that environmentalism is the new religion holding back society, like the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages trying to control everyone else with guilt-tripping, while making themselves rich.

Autonomous cars I think are more of a gee-whiz novelty, also pushed by people who never liked driving in the first place. Bureaucrats will like it to the extent that they get justify their jobs designing requirements. I never thought self-driving cars would get as far as they have already, but I also consider them impractical and the real world. They work great when monitored by 6-figure salaried engineers, but when let loose into the real world, start causing deadly havoc.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:01 AM

40 posts, read 31,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
*sigh*.

Did you have some long piece written, only to accidentally delete it after your condescending introduction?

Old 09-22-2019, 02:23 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Just about every news article regarding the future of transportation in the world seems to be EV and autonomous ways to get around while the ICE will slowly go away into extinction.

But why?

Why is the government pushing this agenda so severely? They say it’s to help fight climate change and reduce pollution levels, but I think the government will always find ways to ban something, and eventually ban EV because once they become mainstream, the cause of pollution and or the strain on natural resources will then be blamed on the huge increases on battery production, and the disposal of old batteries compared to a basic 12 volt battery in a ICE today.

Almost forgot to mention the extreme strain on the power grid systems once EV will become a norm. The long charging times and the expense it will have on consumers will be counter intuitive. I can fill up a tank of gas in my car in a few minutes or less, while having to charge an EV can take hours. It’s not realistic for many people in such a busy fast paced world we live in today.

Onto autonomous vehicles. The heavy push by automakers, including the government leads me to believe that they want to force the public out of vehicle ownership. I can see the future being strictly leased based, where automakers will charge a big rate in order for the public to be able to use an autonomous car/truck/cuv.

No longer will we be able to have control over what we buy, rather, the government and auto manufacturers will cry “it’s all about safety, and saving lives” in order to pass in their agenda on revoking ownership of automobiles because humans are inherently flawed and that somehow a computer will be able to drive better than humans. Well the argument is, what happens when those computers malfunction and or have problems? The complexity of it all will make EV combined with autonomous vehicles more prone to break downs and very expensive to fix.

No more fun, no more ownership, as vehicle transportation will be seen as a luxury that only the wealthy can afford.

What do you say? Is there something shady going on behind close doors amongst our Governments and Automakers?

In my opinion it is the Chinese and the leftists, China might dominate the BEV world market and the leftists want to destroy Western economy by destryoing its core industries plus leftists hate the personal freedom cars provide, they want us to live all in their grey Mao world where all people are equal, equally miserable. Musk in my view is a talented nerd who builds expensive toys, no problem with that.

BEVs might have their use in metropolitan environments though.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,948 times
Default The cost of a safe Vehicles.

EV's is simply much more efficient. Electric motors run in industry 24-7 with a 2 week shutdown per year to rebuild an refurbish such equipment. These motors commonly last 30 or more years. There are 2 bearings (the wear parts in an electric motor). There are hundreds of wear parts in an internal combustion engine. The problem is the supply and control of the electronic and battery materials are owned or controlled by China. The western world has been based on the oil dollar and China wants the new standard to be based on the battery dollar. Looks like the hybrid will be the compromise.

As for Autonomous Vehicles it took hundreds years to refine our roads-ways and infrastructure which are not perfect but are a lot better off then most of the world. Think about what the bottle necks actually are in transportation in this country. Most of which are thousands of drivers slowing down and gawking at the overturned Vehicle which ran off the road.

Semi-Autonomous cars and trucks are not a bad thing. The reason again is accidents cost lives and money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

People are moving faster then ever before with busier lives. Distraction and unforeseen mechanical issues are being eliminated with driver assist features and additional OBD2 features. Over-speed control on vehicles is very close to being implemented as well.

It's the cost of safe Vehicles.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Autonomous vehicles are the only solution to urban traffic jams. Once you get the stoooopid humans out of the equation, you can run them bumper to bumper at 60 mph with no stop & go.

I think that 20 years from now, insurance for human-driven cars will be so prohibitively expensive that they’ll mostly disappear.

I don’t think today’s battery technology is viable. It will take a big breakthrough in cost, weight, capacity, and charging time for EV to fully replace internal combustion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.