Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,142 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if this work. Has anyone tried this procedure? Why hasn't the car companies done this?

YouTube - Installed on a dodge ram

YouTube - H2 Hydrogen Booster Intsalled in Merc Milan Car

Just curious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 12:17 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Hydrogen is commercially produced from natural gas because it takes more energy to get it out of water than it contains. If the large industrial producers of hydrogen cannot make it work why would you think some little ebay outfit can do it?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I don't see how the physics of it works out. This system runs on the electrical system on your car, which increases the load on the alternator, which increases the amount of power the alternator saps from your engine (and therefore decreases the amount of power dedicated to actually moving the car down the road). As cdelena notes, electrolysis requires more energy input than you get back out of it when you burn its constituent elements. So the only way a system like this could actually work is if it somehow manages to capture energy from the electrical system that would otherwise be lost as waste. I don't know enough about how electrical systems work to know if that's possible or practical. In any case, even if it doesn't increase mileage, I would imagine this system would probably increase horsepower output and maybe even reduce emissions.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
I built a hydrogen booster from a water filter canister and some stainless steel allthread and plates and installed it on my 96 Volvo 940 using some inline resistors to lessen the load on the alternator and a relay to turn it on and off. Keeping careful records I was able to increase average mileage from 20.4 mpg to 24.6 mpg. The one problem with the system is that it does put more load on the alternator and drag on the engine which does offset some of the gain. If I had more time to devote to tinkering I would like to run the hydrogen booster off a auxilery battery that was not connected to the vehicles electric system, and use a solar panel mounted to the roof to recharge the battery during the day while I was at work. Yes it does work, but it does take some tinkering. 99.9% of the people are much too lazy to devote the time to fabricate, install, and fine tune it. The savings of 2 to 5 gallons a week is not enough to hold the interest of most people, but it adds up. There is plenty of info on the net for anyone who wants to study it, just type in "hydrogen generator" in your search box.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Phony devices to improve gas mileage have been around since the advent of the automobile. They start popping up whenever gas prices increase. If any of them worked, the manufactures would snap them up in an instant. The auto factories would love to find a simple way to increase mileage, and get the government off of their backs..!
One of the main drawbacks to burning hydrogen is the extreme pressure it operates under. Natural gas operates in pressures in excess of 4000 PSI. To make tanks that will withstand that pressure, be light enough, and strong enough to store in a motor vehicle, the capacity is minimal. Look in the trunk of a NGV, and you will see several huge tanks that hold about eight gallons of total fuel, which doesn't go very far.
Hydrogen operates at pressures up to 10,000 PSI, so the task of providing tanks that will operate safely at that pressure, and hold enough fuel to go around the block, is one of the biggest drawbacks to hydrogen.
To suggest this contraption with it's plastic hoses can provide hydrogen at 10000 PSI, is way past laughable.
And no, no one made hydrogen from a few scraps of junk they found on the floor of their garage. These devices are nothing more than fancy water injectors, which have also been around for decades, and are beneficial to a degree, but don't expect to see any noticeable increase in fuel mileage.
Before you break out your credit card, remember good old P.T.Barnum. He was right, there is a sucker born every minute...!
There are brilliant engineers around the word working on the solution to this problem, and if it's ever solved, it will be the biggest news story of the century. If you think you increased your mileage with this devise, then you can cure cancer with a placebo..!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
If you like that scam you might want the water injection that has been around since the 50's.But then there are peole who thnik thata guy invented a engine that would run on water but the auto makers payed him off.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Phony devices to improve gas mileage have been around since the advent of the automobile. They start popping up whenever gas prices increase. If any of them worked, the manufactures would snap them up in an instant. The auto factories would love to find a simple way to increase mileage, and get the government off of their backs..!
One of the main drawbacks to burning hydrogen is the extreme pressure it operates under. Natural gas operates in pressures in excess of 4000 PSI. To make tanks that will withstand that pressure, be light enough, and strong enough to store in a motor vehicle, the capacity is minimal. Look in the trunk of a NGV, and you will see several huge tanks that hold about eight gallons of total fuel, which doesn't go very far.
Hydrogen operates at pressures up to 10,000 PSI, so the task of providing tanks that will operate safely at that pressure, and hold enough fuel to go around the block, is one of the biggest drawbacks to hydrogen.
To suggest this contraption with it's plastic hoses can provide hydrogen at 10000 PSI, is way past laughable.
And no, no one made hydrogen from a few scraps of junk they found on the floor of their garage. These devices are nothing more than fancy water injectors, which have also been around for decades, and are beneficial to a degree, but don't expect to see any noticeable increase in fuel mileage.
Before you break out your credit card, remember good old P.T.Barnum. He was right, there is a sucker born every minute...!
There are brilliant engineers around the word working on the solution to this problem, and if it's ever solved, it will be the biggest news story of the century. If you think you increased your mileage with this devise, then you can cure cancer with a placebo..!
Look armchair, no one is talking about a compressed system; now try to follow if you can. Maybe you did not take high school science but most people who did know it is a simple process to make hydrogen with a cup of water and a 9 volt battery. Running 12 volts @ 10 amps thru a simple stack submerged in a mixture of water with a little potassium chloride produces aprox. 1200cc of gas per min. which is 2/3 hydrogen and 1/3 oxygen, a very very explosive mixture, compared to the atmosphere which is 19.5% oxygen (flammable) and 80.5 % nitrogen (non flammable). Now by allowing this gas to flow into the engines air intake stream it increases the power output of the cylinders, which means you are giving the engine less throttle at the same speed. Hydrogen is 2.5 X as explosive as regular fuel/air. This is not rocket science; it has been around allot longer than you have. As far as big news stories I am afraid again you are mistaken, if you ever check the U.S Patten Office has issued patens on hundreds of fuel saving devices that have never received any notoriety but have been proven to work all the same. Former JPL scientist Herman Anderson built a car that ran on water and yet who has heard of him. The state of Tennessee allowed him to drive his car but not to produce or sell it. It is now in the Water Fuel Museum in Lexington KY. No one is making any money off these devices, and up until $4.00 gas, 4 or 5 miles per gallon was not going to get too many people excited. Heck it is really not worth it to me to put them on the rest of my cars, as I can make enough money on a Saturday afternoon to buy a years gas, but I was curious if it worked so I tried it.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 AM

9 posts, read 34,650 times
OOOOOOOO another person who makes so much money they don't want to make anymore. Just because you are issued a paten does mean your device will work. It just means no one else can manufacture it. I have 3 different carbs in my garage that will allow my car to get between 50 and 100 miles per gallon. I just don't want to be bothered with putting them on the car. And I don't want anyone else to have them either. Cause I make to much money already.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Look armchair, no one is talking about a compressed system; now try to follow if you can. Maybe you did not take high school science but most people who did know it is a simple process to make hydrogen with a cup of water and a 9 volt battery. Running 12 volts @ 10 amps thru a simple stack submerged in a mixture of water with a little potassium chloride produces aprox. 1200cc of gas per min. which is 2/3 hydrogen and 1/3 oxygen, a very very explosive mixture, compared to the atmosphere which is 19.5% oxygen (flammable) and 80.5 % nitrogen (non flammable). Now by allowing this gas to flow into the engines air intake stream it increases the power output of the cylinders, which means you are giving the engine less throttle at the same speed. Hydrogen is 2.5 X as explosive as regular fuel/air. This is not rocket science; it has been around allot longer than you have. As far as big news stories I am afraid again you are mistaken, if you ever check the U.S Patten Office has issued patens on hundreds of fuel saving devices that have never received any notoriety but have been proven to work all the same. Former JPL scientist Herman Anderson built a car that ran on water and yet who has heard of him. The state of Tennessee allowed him to drive his car but not to produce or sell it. It is now in the Water Fuel Museum in Lexington KY. No one is making any money off these devices, and up until $4.00 gas, 4 or 5 miles per gallon was not going to get too many people excited. Heck it is really not worth it to me to put them on the rest of my cars, as I can make enough money on a Saturday afternoon to buy a years gas, but I was curious if it worked so I tried it.
Reading this complete line of bull, I was thinking, do they really let people in institutions have computers..???, but then I realized it's just sharp objects you aren't allowed to have access to.
This shows PT Barnum was only half right. Not only is there a sucker born every minute, there is also a B.S'er born every minute. Please, for your own good, don't tell anyone else this story, they are just going to laugh at you. These ridiculous stories have been around forever, about the government buying devices up, or the car manufactures buying them up and destroying them so the public wouldn't get a hold of them. In truth, the government or auto manufactures would pay many millions to learn your secret. Do you have any idea how many millions are spent every year by auto engineers to gain even a fraction of a MPG..? But they would rather spend all of there R&R money getting nowhere, than to listen to a genius like you.
Anyone who knows anything about the internal combustion engine knows there isn't even a smidgen of truth to any of it.
Because I feel sorry for you, I'll give you the benefit of doubt. Just show me one bit of proof, and I will gladly read it. it must me a realistic, scientific document, not something your drunken buddy at the bar told you just before he collapsed on the floor.
I love the part about you making so much money you don't have time to market an invention that would make you so rich, Bill Gates would be envious. A car than runs on water..... Why would we allow that to get to market when it's more fun to let the Middle Easterners run the world. If it could be done, the sand monkeys would all be bankrupt and there would be no financial worries in the US. I suppose I could be wrong, since you are a millionaire, and I'm just common folk..!
I usually don't respond to people in here who are obviously not playing with a full deck, but once in a while, I just can't help myself. Now get off of the computer, and go make some more millions.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
jimhcom, what you're describing isn't a system powered by water, but by electricity. You either pull electricity out of your engine or from a separate battery to cause an electrolytic reaction in water, and the resulting gases are then added to the combustion mix. The water isn't powering anything. Since it is impossible for an electrolytic reaction to generate more energy than it uses, you are still talking about a net loss when you take all power sources into account.

Your fuel economy went up because you are adding energy to the system in the form of injected gases. You could have the same effect by adding a turbocharger, supercharger or even a ram air scoop to your engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive