Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 10:32 PM

864 posts, read 868,371 times

Advertisements

Mandating a specific powertrain is probably unconstitutional anyway. Just depends on if anyone cares to take the issue up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 10:56 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Just depends on if anyone cares to take the issue up.
You are talking about a multi-billion dollar industry. Of course they will care!

The Western States Petroleum Association (WSPA)--a powerful lobbying group for the oil and gas industry is proudly dedicated to guaranteeing that every American has access to reliable energy options through socially, economically and environmentally responsible policies and regulations.

The WSPA claims the industry is worth $152 billion and employes 366,000 people.

The WSPA has already started a public relations campaign to argue that this ban unfairly targets the 17 million renters in California who will be forced out of private vehicles and onto buses.

It is almost a certainty that they will argue that full hybrids, and plug in hybrids should not be banned.

Very few auto makers have announced intentions to go all electric. Jaguar, MINI, Lotus are a few that plan to eliminate all ICE vehicles from their lineup.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:09 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You are talking about a multi-billion dollar industry. Of course they will care!

The Western States Petroleum Association (WSPA)--a powerful lobbying group for the oil and gas industry is proudly dedicated to guaranteeing that every American has access to reliable energy options through socially, economically and environmentally responsible policies and regulations.

The WSPA claims the industry is worth $152 billion and employes 366,000 people.

The WSPA has already started a public relations campaign to argue that this ban unfairly targets the 17 million renters in California who will be forced out of private vehicles and onto buses.

It is almost a certainty that they will argue that full hybrids, and plug in hybrids should not be banned.

Very few auto makers have announced intentions to go all electric. Jaguar, MINI, Lotus are a few that plan to eliminate all ICE vehicles from their lineup.

Audi, Bentley, Cadillac, and Volvo as well. All pretty fancy. Oh, and General Motors as well. And Honda. Tesla has also already done so. It's still pretty early on, so there's still plenty of time for other automakers to make the shift by 2035. I suspect the European automakers and then Korean automakers will do so first, followed by the Americans and Japanese. It remains to be seen if Chinese automakers make a strong splash in the US, though they'll certainly be putting up a strong fight in developing countries.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:53 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Mandating a specific powertrain is probably unconstitutional anyway. Just depends on if anyone cares to take the issue up.

Massachusetts isn't mandating a powertrain. They're banning new car sales of cars that don't meet their pollution standard. California did that with cars that didn't meet their CARB pollution spec. That wasn't "unconstitutional".

You could run an internal combustion engine powered by hydrogen. That would meet the spec.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Massachusetts isn't mandating a powertrain. They're banning new car sales of cars that don't meet their pollution standard. California did that with cars that didn't meet their CARB pollution spec. That wasn't "unconstitutional".
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) was a merger of the Bureau of Air Sanitation and the California Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Board. and formed on August 30, 1967, In November of 1967 the federal Air Quality Act of 1967 mandated that no state (besides California) can set their own emissions standards because CARB had been established first. So other individual states have the option of following CARB or the National standards.

Massachussets is one of 9 states that voted to follow CARB's Zero Emission Vehicle standards.

For seven large volume manufacturers, CARB required that 2% of 1998 to 2000 model year vehicles sold were ZEVs, ramping up to 5% ZEVs by 2001 and 10% ZEVs in 2003 and beyond.

The GM EV1 was the first battery electric vehicle (BEV) offered to the public, in partial fulfillment of the agreement with CARB. The EV1 was available only through a US$399/month lease starting in December 1996; the initial markets were South Coast, San Diego, and Arizona, and expanded to Sacramento and the Bay Area. GM also offered an electric S-10 pickup truck to fleet operators.
Early GM EV1 vehicles 16.5–18.7 kWh lead-acid, (55 mile range) 660 units
Later GM EV1 versions 26.4 kWh Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) (105 mile range) 457 units
  1. GM (EV1, Dec 1996),
  2. Honda (EV Plus, May 1997),
  3. Toyota (RAV4 EV, October 1997),
  4. Chrysler (EPIC, 1997),
  5. Ford (Ranger EV ,1998)
  6. Nissan ( Altra in the 1998)
  7. Mazda stated they would purchase ZEV credits from Ford:

The automobile manufacturers sued California saying the standards were too strict. They won the lawsuit and the ZEV requirements were replaced with a system whereby hybrids and other high mpg vehicles and PHEVs could earn "emission credits". All of the EVs built in this period were not sold at the end of their leases and destroyed (except the Toyota RAV4 EVs).

The Prius was introduced in Japan by Toyota in 1997. Tesla Motors was founded in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning.

Quote:
You could run an internal combustion engine powered by hydrogen. That would meet the spec.
The requirement is for Zero Emission Vehicles of which hydrogen fuel cell vehicles certainly qualify.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-26-2021 at 05:18 PM..

Old 06-26-2021, 06:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:

Given nearly 85% of Bay Staters support this, i highly doubt there will be much/if any backlash to this.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Given nearly 85% of Bay Staters support this, i highly doubt there will be much/if any backlash to this.
MA like CA has a very large urban population. It's mostly rural people that have suffer from range anxiety.

2010 States (District) with the largest urban population
100.0% Washington, D.C.
95.0% California
94.7% New Jersey
94.2% Nevada
92.0% Massachusetts

Old 06-27-2021, 05:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
MA like CA has a very large urban population. It's mostly rural people that have suffer from range anxiety.

2010 States (District) with the largest urban population
100.0% Washington, D.C.
95.0% California
94.7% New Jersey
94.2% Nevada
92.0% Massachusetts
I don’t think you understand how small Massachusetts is.

Those urban people go skiing in Northern New England. They drive to their summer homes. Most people in the rural parts of Massachusetts aren’t affluent enough to regularly do long drives. Pittsfield to Boston is 135 miles and most people in Western Massachusetts never go as far as Boston. My drive between my summer place on the coast and my Vermont ski place of 28 years that I just sold is 220 miles. Try doing that in an EV in January when it’s -10F. You’ll spend a half hour at the Super Charger at the Hooksett rest area.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:53 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
I don’t think you understand how small Massachusetts is.

Those urban people go skiing in Northern New England. They drive to their summer homes. Most people in the rural parts of Massachusetts aren’t affluent enough to regularly do long drives. Pittsfield to Boston is 135 miles and most people in Western Massachusetts never go as far as Boston. My drive between my summer place on the coast and my Vermont ski place of 28 years that I just sold is 220 miles. Try doing that in an EV in January when it’s -10F. You’ll spend a half hour at the Super Charger at the Hooksett rest area.

You can probably do that with ease right now in a select few EVs but probab;y with a minimum price of +$50K which is beyond the means of most households. It'll probably be a few more years before that trip becomes pretty reasonable for a sub $30K (2021 dollars) EV.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-27-2021 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
My drive between my summer place on the coast and my Vermont ski place of 28 years that I just sold is 220 miles. Try doing that in an EV in January when it’s -10F. You’ll spend a half hour at the Super Charger at the Hooksett rest area.
Personally, I have serious reservations that this ban will go through completely. These PHEVs will probably get a waiver.

Quote:
2021 Toyota Prius Prime 1.8 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (variable gear ratios)
EPA range: 25 miles on Elec + Gas (54 MPG) and 640 miles total

2021 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid AWD 2.0 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (variable gear ratios)
EPA range: 17 miles on Elec + Gas (35 MPG) and 480 miles total

The Subaru uses basic Prius technology and batteries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive