Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 10:36 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times

Advertisements

I guess some public and at work charging stations are free now. That's not going to last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 01:43 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Home charging is big here in MA. I have a lot of electricians in the family, and one of the more common jobs they undertake lately is installing a 240v charging station in the garage or near driveway.

When you drive around, it's not uncommon to see an EV with a cord extended to it in the driveway. Lots of people use them for the short daily commute to work and errands and then have a gas vehicle for longer hauls, or towing the family boat to the lake for the weekend.

Still, with all that said, i think 2035 is optimistic considering there is no option for those who live in apartments, or park their car on dense urban streets where their only parking options might be 2-3 blocks down the road from where they live. Not everyone who will potentially buy an EV will be living in a suburban home with a 220V charger conveniently in the garage.

Oh and $400k for any home in MA is a steal right now.
Eversource and Melrose are testing some utility pole mounted chargers that are accessible for those that park on street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiR-Wz_Z8s

Old 06-21-2021, 01:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Eversource and Melrose are testing some utility pole mounted chargers that are accessible for those that park on street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiR-Wz_Z8s
I can see someone tripping over that cord and suing the city for millions.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
There are also these streetlight chargers being piloted in different parts of the world: https://metroenergy.org/programs/cur...t-ev-charging/

There's also another direction being tried out with no cables to get tangled in with wireless charging: https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ds/6428778002/

BMW has an ongoing pilot with vehicles that do wireless charging, but I think the only automaker that's explicitly stated that they're putting one into production is Hyundai Kia who stated they're going to deploy it on their Genesis brand EVs.

I'm curious as to whether the latter can work--have people even adopted wireless charging for their phones or is that still pretty rare?

Old 06-21-2021, 03:57 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
The average electricity price in Massachusetts is 21.92¢ per kWh which is the 3rd highest rate in the United States.

I noticed in the video that he said he was getting charged 25¢ per kWh. Is that typical or is their a monthly membership fee as well?

Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The average electricity price in Massachusetts is 21.92¢ per kWh which is the 3rd highest rate in the United States.

I noticed in the video that he said he was getting charged 25¢ per kWh. Is that typical or is their a monthly membership fee as well?

Yea, that's surprisingly affordable. I didn't download the app, but I looked around a bit at news releases and the ampup faq and there's no mention of membership fees. The video states that the chargers are good for 9.6kW which is pretty good for level 2 charging. If this was used for overnight charging, then one overnight parking on the spot will fill any current long range vehicle's battery so if you have a ~250 mile range EV such as with Chevy Bolt in that video and are the average US driver that averages about 30 miles per day of driving, then you can go over a week between charging at one of these spots. I suppose they can have some kind of loose designated rotation system so people don't just hog it and/or they can have a lot of these since it's a pretty compact installation. I wonder if it might be a decent design choice for having more than one charging port on the car (one towards the front, one towards the rear) so there's a bit more flexibility with parking in relation to the hose. After all, wires are a bit easier to route in the car than fuel lines.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Electricity itself is about $0.15/kWh. Delivery and customer charges bring it up higher. Since these are owned by the utility, the price per kWh isn't anywhere near the retail price.

At $0.25/kWh from this, it would cost $16.25 for a "full charge" and range of 250 miles. Still cheaper than petrol in most cases.

These chargers are a pilot program between National Grid (the power supplier for Melrose, MA) and the City of Melrose. AmpUp is an app that allows users to find chargers and process the payment. There isn't a monthly membership fee.

As a pilot program, the parties are still trying to figure out the best approach, pricing, etc.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:55 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Electricity itself is about $0.15/kWh. Delivery and customer charges bring it up higher. Since these are owned by the utility, the price per kWh isn't anywhere near the retail price.
I assume when you say "Electricity itself is about $0.15/kWh" you mean "Generation of Electricity itself is about $0.15/kWh"

In Pennsylvania I pay $18.68 in customer charge, 6.805¢ per kWh for generation and 4.015¢ per kWh for distribution for a total of 10.820¢ per kWh. Illinois and Pennsylvania are the leading states in Nuclear Power generation and as a result have relatively low electricity rates.

For the most part it is the states where electricity is relatively expensive that are pushing the rapid changeover to EVs.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times
There are a number of challenges. Wiring charging stations for surface parking in condo complexes is quite a challenge as is wiring a parking garage with spaces with no wall nearby. The tech isn't there yet for practical solutions in these configurations. Additionally, the line voltage required is hampered in many places. Providing 300 220v, individually-metered Level II charging stations in one place is no small task. Rapid chargers are an even bigger issue and companies like Tesla are brand specific limiting future use.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I assume when you say "Electricity itself is about $0.15/kWh" you mean "Generation of Electricity itself is about $0.15/kWh"

In Pennsylvania I pay $18.68 in customer charge, 6.805¢ per kWh for generation and 4.015¢ per kWh for distribution for a total of 10.820¢ per kWh. Illinois and Pennsylvania are the leading states in Nuclear Power generation and as a result have relatively low electricity rates.

For the most part it is the states where electricity is relatively expensive that are pushing the rapid changeover to EVs.
Sorry, I got the number backwards. Generation charge is $0.11795 from my supplier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive