Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 03:14 PM

37,286 posts, read 39,605,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
As far as I know the Bolt is the same way. I have read the Bolt owners manual online and the recommendations seem to be the same.

But yes, GM should have used to Voltec system in something like the Equinox or TrailBlazer. I just traded my 2014 Volt for a 2018. I'm getting 62 miles of EV range with the 2018.

I did a quick look around on Bolt forums and have conflicting info. Some are saying unplugged that it kicks in after 90 degrees, others 95 or 100. I wonder if there's some differences among models and "firmware". I'd suspect that the Bolt being somewhat newer than the Volt and with a larger battery pack would have better safeguards on high ambient heat damage.

Congrats on your second-gen Volt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 09:50 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,528,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Probably by 2028 or so, battery tech will be so advanced that EV cars will be approximately as good as gasoline cars when it comes to range, and maybe just a bit slower to recharge. 10 minutes versus 3 minutes? I don't know, maybe I'm optimistic.

There are amazing battery technologies in the research labs; every few months, someone announces another advance. Lighter, safer, better.

Be that as it may... when EVs can go 1,000 miles on a charge, that'll be the end of new gasoline vehicles. EV is just so much quieter, better acceleration, lower maintenance. A lot of car mechanics are going to be looking for a new career, I suspect.

If that's the case, terrific - I'll buy one. I'm just not optimistic about range and charging times. I think they've pretty much hit a wall where current tech and manufacturing is concerned and a few more years isn't going to change that. I doubt another 10-20 years will. I think PHEV vehicles make a lot more sense. You have enough EV range for many short local trips and the flexibility of being able to switch to gas for long trips.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:22 AM

6,722 posts, read 5,967,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
If that's the case, terrific - I'll buy one. I'm just not optimistic about range and charging times. I think they've pretty much hit a wall where current tech and manufacturing is concerned and a few more years isn't going to change that. I doubt another 10-20 years will. I think PHEV vehicles make a lot more sense. You have enough EV range for many short local trips and the flexibility of being able to switch to gas for long trips.
I've long felt PHEV is the way to go. Why have to choose, when you can have both?

100 miles pure electric, then another 400 gasoline. That's a killer combo.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post

I think one thing to consider is how far EVs have come along since 10 years ago.

The best-selling EV in 2011 was the Nissan Leaf with its then MSRP in 2020 dollars cost about the same as the current best-selling EV the Model 3 Standard Range Plus. Nissan supposedly lost thousands per unit originally and took years before making a marginal profit while Tesla makes a marginal profit on each Model 3 today.

Nissan Leaf in 2011:
- 73 miles EPA rated range
- 3.6 kW AC charging
- 44 kW DC charging adding about 50 miles of range in 30 minutes when charging from near empty
- 34 kWh/100 miles efficiency
- virtually no DC chargers available outside of a handful of Nissan dealerships

Model 3 SR+ in 2021:
- 263 miles EPA rated range
- 7.7 kW AC charging
- 170 kW DC charging adding about 50 mile of range in 5-10 minutes (EVs charge faster when battery is more depleted)
- 24 kWh/100 mi efficiency
- hundreds of compatible DC chargers in CA alone

That's a pretty decent bit of improvement for a decade and going from losing money per vehicle to profiting per vehicle. It's also arguable that the Model 3 is a nicer and more premium vehicle than the first-gen Leaf in many other ways, too.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-23-2021 at 11:19 AM..

Old 06-23-2021, 11:11 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,656,561 times
Quote:
I don't know if anyone will build a PHEV with 100 miles pure electric range. It might require an expensive battery. These are the two PHEVs with the most range for sale in the US. The Mini-Cooper BEV has only 110 miles of range.
  • 48 miles $33,400 Honda Clarity PHEV (17 kWh battery)
  • 42 miles $38,100 Toyota RAV4 Prime (18 kWh battery)

--------------------------------
Norway registration stats for new vehicles for the month of May 2021:
BEVs: 60.4% market share
PHEVs: 22.9% market share
Total Plug in : 83.3% market share

The remaining percentage does include some full hybrids. But I believe the Average Transaction Price of a new vehicle in Norway is over $60,000.

The municipality of Oslo had a population of 697,549, while the population of the city's greater urban area was 1,019,513 . The metropolitan area had an estimated population of 1.71 million. The country has a population of 5.39 million.
Norway is physically larger than Italy (population 60 million) so some domestic routes are very long.
  • The Oslo tram network runs primarily on the road network and is operated by Sporveien Trikken. It has six lines running from the city center to the suburbs of Oslo.
  • The Oslo Metro (Norwegian: Oslo T-bane or simply T-banen) operates five lines that cover the entire city.
  • Railways: Oslo Central Station (Oslo S) is the terminus for several railway lines. Vy operates most of Norway's passenger rail services, including the Oslo Commuter Rail which connects to six counties in Eastern Norway. They operate regional and express trains from Oslo to several Norwegian destinations - including Drammen, Lillehammer and Halden - and to Gothenburg and Stockholm in neighbouring Sweden
  • Flytoget connects Oslo S to Gardermoen Airport via a high-speed rail link.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't know if anyone will build a PHEV with 100 miles pure electric range. It might require an expensive battery. These are the two PHEVs with the most range for sale in the US. The Mini-Cooper BEV has only 110 miles of range.
  • 48 miles $33,400 Honda Clarity PHEV (17 kWh battery)
  • 42 miles $38,100 Toyota RAV4 Prime (18 kWh battery)

--------------------------------
Norway registration stats for new vehicles for the month of May 2021:
BEVs: 60.4% market share
PHEVs: 22.9% market share
Total Plug in : 83.3% market share

The remaining percentage does include some full hybrids. But I believe the Average Transaction Price of a new vehicle in Norway is over $60,000.

The municipality of Oslo had a population of 697,549, while the population of the city's greater urban area was 1,019,513 . The metropolitan area had an estimated population of 1.71 million. The country has a population of 5.39 million.
Norway is physically larger than Italy (population 60 million) so some domestic routes are very long.
  • The Oslo tram network runs primarily on the road network and is operated by Sporveien Trikken. It has six lines running from the city center to the suburbs of Oslo.
  • The Oslo Metro (Norwegian: Oslo T-bane or simply T-banen) operates five lines that cover the entire city.
  • Railways: Oslo Central Station (Oslo S) is the terminus for several railway lines. Vy operates most of Norway's passenger rail services, including the Oslo Commuter Rail which connects to six counties in Eastern Norway. They operate regional and express trains from Oslo to several Norwegian destinations - including Drammen, Lillehammer and Halden - and to Gothenburg and Stockholm in neighbouring Sweden
  • Flytoget connects Oslo S to Gardermoen Airport via a high-speed rail link.

Among PHEVs, it looks like series hybrids will hit 100+ miles on just EV range. The BMW i3 with range extender goes 126 miles on just battery alone. Karma GS-6 gets somewhat close with 80 miles of electric range. Mazda's MX-30 supposedly will have a rotary engine range extender and will likely have close to and possibly above 100 miles all electric range.

Yea, Norway's better overall mass transit system probably plays a large part in why they have fewer cars per capita which is something like a third lower than ours. It's not quite in an entirely different league, but it's significant and so the people more often buying vehicles are those who live a bit further out which makes sense as parking in Oslo can be pretty annoying while mass transit, walking and biking there is pretty good.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:46 AM

9,925 posts, read 7,271,330 times
Quote:
I've long felt PHEV is the way to go. Why have to choose, when you can have both?

The issue is engineering complexity and cost. Why carry two powerplants around when one (pick one) will do the trick?

Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,656,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Among PHEVs, it looks like series hybrids will hit 100+ miles on just EV range. The BMW i3 with range extender goes 126 miles on just battery alone. Karma GS-6 gets somewhat close with 80 miles of electric range. Mazda's MX-30 supposedly will have a rotary engine range extender and will likely have close to and possibly above 100 miles all electric range.
Thank you for that correction. I was thinking purely of parallel hybrids. The series hybrid could be an ICE engine or possibly a battery pack that you tow. The "range extender" concept has been dropped by BMW for the i4, and it will be interesting to see how many people opt for the option in the Mazda MX-30.

A British firm that is pushing the concept of serial hybrids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-24-2021 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Thank you for that correction. I was thinking purely of parallel hybrids. The series hybrid could be an ICE engine or possibly a battery pack that you tow. The "range extender" concept has been dropped by BMW for the i4, and it will be interesting to see how many people opt for the option in the Mazda MX-30.

A British firm that is pushing the concept of serial hybrids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Ford did patent a removable range extender for the F-150 that can live on the truck bed when in use. It remains to be seen if it'll actually make it to production. I do think PHEVs can still be a pretty good concept for the next several years and longer depending on if the pace of battery improvements relative to that in previous decades.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:39 AM

8,375 posts, read 6,474,738 times
That's just what I want to do, carry a big bulky, heavy battery around with me rather than have a gas car. How dumb can you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive