Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,325,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Do they still use propellers on some of their large planes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Nope. This times are over for a long time. These days, they use Airbus & Boeing for longhaul flights. Not even any Ilyushin IL96-300 anymore.

I'm surprised they didn't update their own to compete. Do they use Ilyushin at all for shorter flights?

I would have liked to go for a ride on one of the large propeller powered passenger planes. They still have large propeller powered planes in the Russian military. Bombers, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm surprised they didn't update their own to compete. Do they use Ilyushin at all for shorter flights?

I would have liked to go for a ride on one of the large propeller powered passenger planes. They still have large propeller powered planes in the Russian military. Bombers, I guess.
They also have some IL-18 from the military for troops and cargo.
These days Aeroflot uses only Airbus/Boeing fleet, with exception of the Sukhoi Superjet, a new Russian regional jet that is also in use in Mexico, Belgium etc. with a lot of western technology.

Some other airlines in Russia are still using Yakovlev ***-42, Antonov AN-24 or in very rare cases Tupolevs or ***-40. But the days of the proud soviet fleet is gone, unfortunately. I always loved the sound of Soloviev engines in Tupolev TU154 planes.

The only place where you can fly on big, 4-propeller airplanes these days is North Korea, they still use an IL-18 which is ocasionally used for Aviation Enthusiast Tours within the country.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:55 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,783,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
They also have some IL-18 from the military for troops and cargo.
These days Aeroflot uses only Airbus/Boeing fleet, with exception of the Sukhoi Superjet, a new Russian regional jet that is also in use in Mexico, Belgium etc. with a lot of western technology.

Some other airlines in Russia are still using Yakovlev ***-42, Antonov AN-24 or in very rare cases Tupolevs or ***-40. But the days of the proud soviet fleet is gone, unfortunately. I always loved the sound of Soloviev engines in Tupolev TU154 planes.

The only place where you can fly on big, 4-propeller airplanes these days is North Korea, they still use an IL-18 which is ocasionally used for Aviation Enthusiast Tours within the country.
The older Russian planes aren't allowed to land in Europe and the US, so that's why they're flying Boeing/Airbus on international flights.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:06 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Allegiant Air
American
Continental
Delta
Frontier
Southwest
United
Alitalia
British Airways
KLM
Lufthansa
Olympic Air
Swissair
Turkish Airlines

Old 03-12-2017, 12:29 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
The older Russian planes aren't allowed to land in Europe and the US, so that's why they're flying Boeing/Airbus on international flights.
True, but they also do not use any older Russian plane on the domestic market either, on the other hand airplanes such as the IL96-300 or TU-204 are still allowed in Europe, for example Cubana flies to Madrid or Paris Orly with the modern Ilyushin airplane.

I think that Russian airplanes of the newer generation are lacking competitiveness in terms of reliability/maintenance, fuel burn, and overall operability (more than 2 cockpit crew, not always fitting to standard gangways, no spare parts available outside of Russia, etc).

Old 03-14-2017, 10:56 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Delta
Continental
Westjet
Airtran
United
Easyjet
Futura
Ryanair
Firstchoice
Aer Lingus
Jet2
Continental Express
Flybe

Not too many.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Air Canada
Air Transat
Sunwing
WestJet
All Nippon Airways
Cubana
JetsGo when it was around
Turkish
Air Asia
Delta
Northwest when it was around
Continental when It was around
United -
Hainan
Siem Reap Airways (blacklisted by the Euro Union now defunct)
Garuda Indonesia Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Swiss
Lufthansa
Royal Air Maroc
Alitalia
Ryanair
Vueling
Thai Airways
Air France
Sri Lankan Airlines
Iberia
Brussels Airlines

New airlines booked to add to my list this year

China Eastern and TAP

Last edited by fusion2; 03-14-2017 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 03:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,455,203 times
Jetblue
Delta
American

Will probably fly Spirit soon. Not by choice but rather quick convenience. Will probably fly Southwest by years end, but for a budget airline, the tickets ive seen arent that budget.

My catalogue is pathetic compared to the rest of yalls. :/

Old 03-17-2017, 05:17 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

My catalogue is pathetic compared to the rest of yalls. :/
It isn't hard to add to that catalogue. Well if you don't have kids and travel is a priority

Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
SAS
Norwegian
Ryanair
United
American Airlines
Lufthansa
Airberlin

Former ones: Continental, Braathens SAFE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation