Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

That's just about everywhere. People have no interest in learning something new. I guess people get set in their ways. Personally, I seek knowledge as much as possible. Also, many cities have people that never leave their neighborhoods- NYC is a prime example. Some of them never leave their neighborhoods, let alone boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 AM

103 posts, read 326,317 times
I'd wager that any hood in Baltimore has nothing on the sticks for this. Grew up in rural NY and the furthest away most of these people have been is the biannual trip to Binghamton (about an hour). Going to Syracuse regularly as a kid meant I got looked at like I was from Mars. If they actually crossed the state line to Pennsylvania, that's like the adventure of a lifetime. My dad owned an auto parts store and made a good part of his living off kids who'd fix up a car, get drunk, wrap it around a tree, and come back and do it again in a few months.

What's appalling to me is that my classmates still think the same narrow, blinkered way now, 20+ years later. I caught up with a few of them on Facebook, most of them still live there, but even the ones who moved away still think the same way. Every anti-Obama conspiracy theory, the whole THEY TOOK OUR JERBS! crap, disabled people and poor people are shiftless freeloaders, science is suspect, etc. Used to work in DC with a guy who grew up there, in SE, and we'd have stupid city people vs. stupid country people anecdote-offs, and my hicks almost always won.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Most poor blacks in DC have been to Baltimore though, even if its just the Inner Harbor. Morgan State is flooded with DC people. I will say that about a week or two ago I did see quite of few groups of black people that we're obviously from Baltimore in downtown DC. Not something I see everyday but its good to know that some people take advantage of MARC and the #B30 bus.

I am just curious on how you know they are/were from Baltimore? Other than maybe the "ew" and "dew" twang was there something else in their behavior or dress that would scream 'Your from Baltimore' I have heard that people in DC think Baltimore is "bama" but Im not sure how that manifest itself from a street encounter/social setting.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Most poor blacks in DC have been to Baltimore though, even if its just the Inner Harbor. Morgan State is flooded with DC people. I will say that about a week or two ago I did see quite of few groups of black people that we're obviously from Baltimore in downtown DC. Not something I see everyday but its good to know that some people take advantage of MARC and the #B30 bus.
Poor people from DC going to Baltimore makes sense, though. Baltimore is the heroin capital of the whole country. Congratulations on achieving 10% penetration of the entire Baltimorean population with heroin addiction, guys..

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92699&page=1

I personally don't travel much, but when I do, I avoid Baltimore. That's saying a lot; I'm from PG County.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
I personally don't travel much, but when I do, I avoid Baltimore. That's saying a lot; I'm from PG County.
What it actually says is that you have no idea what there is to offer here - and you aren't interested in learning.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,185 times
Learning about the Ravens? Or Orioles? Or Faidleys Crab Cakes? Or the National Aquarium-Baltimore? These are but a few examples of the 'best' of Baltimore in which I have exposed myself to. My general feelings are lackluster at best. And you know what? For all the crime that the WaPo posts about PG County (which is a huge territory, of course), I feel absolutely safe where I live. I do not feel safe in Baltimore. This is not to say that I don't hope that Baltimore sees a revival, but the fact that the entire city is enveloped in drug corruption for decades tells me that it is not being governed correctly. But I guess that can be a narrative for the state of Maryland in general, too.

So anyway, your assertion that I have no idea what there is in Baltimore is wrong. The meaning of my previous post's statement was that I just don't like going to Baltimore.

Oh, I will say one thing I find humorous about Baltimore: How everyone seems to think it is okay to jaywalk, especially during an Orioles game. I was at a game last year and even saw POLICE OFFICERS just lazily walking across the heavily congested roads surrounding the stadium.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Learning about the Ravens? Or Orioles? Or Faidleys Crab Cakes? Or the National Aquarium-Baltimore? These are but a few examples of the 'best' of Baltimore in which I have exposed myself to. My general feelings are lackluster at best. And you know what? For all the crime that the WaPo posts about PG County (which is a huge territory, of course), I feel absolutely safe where I live. I do not feel safe in Baltimore. This is not to say that I don't hope that Baltimore sees a revival, but the fact that the entire city is enveloped in drug corruption for decades tells me that it is not being governed correctly. But I guess that can be a narrative for the state of Maryland in general, too.

So anyway, your assertion that I have no idea what there is in Baltimore is wrong. The meaning of my previous post's statement was that I just don't like going to Baltimore.

Oh, I will say one thing I find humorous about Baltimore: How everyone seems to think it is okay to jaywalk, especially during an Orioles game. I was at a game last year and even saw POLICE OFFICERS just lazily walking across the heavily congested roads surrounding the stadium.
There's more to Baltimore to sports and crabs; I'm not gonna bash you for not liking Baltimore, as I don't care if you do or not.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I am just curious on how you know they are/were from Baltimore? Other than maybe the "ew" and "dew" twang was there something else in their behavior or dress that would scream 'Your from Baltimore' I have heard that people in DC think Baltimore is "bama" but Im not sure how that manifest itself from a street encounter/social setting.
I would say that it was easier to distinguish white and black folks from Baltimore from DC folks a few years ago when regional clothing styles and trends were more distinctive. A few years ago, people from Baltimore would wear those long @$s capri shorts with an oversized polo shirt that was buttoned all the way to the top. Braids parted down the center of the head is another Baltimore thing. Black Baltimoreans tend to dress more similar to Black Philadelphians in some respects.

DC's style is very unique to the region. Black folks in DC were heavy on local clothing brands like Solbiato which featured quirky early 90's-esque clothing featuring heavy primary color blocking and strange fashions like t-shirts with lightweight hoods attached. Today, people in DC wear jackets by brands like Helley Hansen and Spyder as well as wearing those Snoop Dogg-esque wave caps.

Today, regional styles across the country among urban blacks are disappearing as blacks in big cities across the country are all beginning to dress exactly alike wearing the latest Air Jordan retros, fitted clothing, Polo, snapbacks etc. But I have noticed that heavy tattoos, especially on the face, are more prominent in Baltimore than DC today.

White folks from DC and Baltimore are easily distinguishable. The type of working class white folks that live amongst blacks in places in South Baltimore do not exist in the DC metro area. White people in the DMV are upper middle class or just plain rich and do not associate with urban dwelling blacks or any other minorities except for the standard token upper middle class Asians, Indians and bougie thoroughly whitewashed suburban blacks that live in Montgomery County. Whites in DC are very aloof and dress very preppy like people from the Ralph Lauren catalog. Whites in Baltimore dress more urban like the black folks they live around, either that or they still dress like its the 90's (in a bad way) or don't care about how they look, period.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I would say that it was easier to distinguish white and black folks from Baltimore from DC folks a few years ago when regional clothing styles and trends were more distinctive. A few years ago, people from Baltimore would wear those long @$s capri shorts with an oversized polo shirt that was buttoned all the way to the top. Braids parted down the center of the head is another Baltimore thing. Black Baltimoreans tend to dress more similar to Black Philadelphians in some respects.

DC's style is very unique to the region. Black folks in DC were heavy on local clothing brands like Solbiato which featured quirky early 90's-esque clothing featuring heavy primary color blocking and strange fashions like t-shirts with lightweight hoods attached. Today, people in DC wear jackets by brands like Helley Hansen and Spyder as well as wearing those Snoop Dogg-esque wave caps.

Today, regional styles across the country among urban blacks are disappearing as blacks in big cities across the country are all beginning to dress exactly alike wearing the latest Air Jordan retros, fitted clothing, Polo, snapbacks etc. But I have noticed that heavy tattoos, especially on the face, are more prominent in Baltimore than DC today.

White folks from DC and Baltimore are easily distinguishable. The type of working class white folks that live amongst blacks in places in South Baltimore do not exist in the DC metro area. White people in the DMV are upper middle class or just plain rich and do not associate with urban dwelling blacks or any other minorities except for the standard token upper middle class Asians, Indians and bougie thoroughly whitewashed suburban blacks that live in Montgomery County. Whites in DC are very aloof and dress very preppy like people from the Ralph Lauren catalog. Whites in Baltimore dress more urban like the black folks they live around, either that or they still dress like its the 90's (in a bad way) or don't care about how they look, period.
Lol spot on...

+1

Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Again, what part of town do you live in? I only ask because my experience, neighbors, friends and peers are the exact opposite of what your threads describes. Not saying I doubt what your posting. Just curious where these backwards bumpkins are.

Course I currently live in B-more County but still have many friends within the city limits.
I think the OP was about the ghetto in Baltimore City, not this area in general. Baltimore County is no better or worse than any other suburban area in America. Except the portions like Rosedale and Randallston which have seen a large influx of city residents thanks to the overavailability of Section 8 housing and the expansion of mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: