Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:28 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Using the old thread, since the title is actually relevant to the latest twist in the Arod soap opera.

We now have dueling doctor opinions on Arod's supposed strained quad muscle.

The Yankee's doc says he injured and Arod's doc looks at the MRI and says he's not injured.

Something fishy is going on here.

Some speculation here that the Yankees are fishing for an "unfit to play" status that would allow them to retire Arod and have insurance pay 80% of the $100M left on the contract. At least that's how I read the article.

I speculate that Arod is about to get a big suspension for the Biogenesis scandal and the Yankees just want to wash their hands of the whole thing, get it over and move on.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Using the old thread, since the title is actually relevant to the latest twist in the Arod soap opera.

We now have dueling doctor opinions on Arod's supposed strained quad muscle.

The Yankee's doc says he injured and Arod's doc looks at the MRI and says he's not injured.

Something fishy is going on here.

Some speculation here that the Yankees are fishing for an "unfit to play" status that would allow them to retire Arod and have insurance pay 80% of the $100M left on the contract. At least that's how I read the article.

I speculate that Arod is about to get a big suspension for the Biogenesis scandal and the Yankees just want to wash their hands of the whole thing, get it over and move on.
I read the article about it and it is difficult to figure out what is really going on and who is motivated by what. I'm guessing that MLB is waiting for Arod to be activated before moving against him with a suspension. In such a case, I would think Arod would be eager to get back on the field as soon as possible under the theory that he will get the same penalty as Braun, suspension for the rest of the season. If Arod isn't activated until there are only 30 or 40 games left, MLB is most likely to suspend him for the rest of this season and a portion of the next.

Under that thinking, Arod may be wanting to rush back onto the field even though he is not physically up to it yet.

But that does not explain the Yankee motivations in wanting to delay his return aside from just what they are saying....he isn't ready to play yet and they do not want to activate him until he is. Hanging over all this is the Yankee motivation to be able to somehow or other get rid of Arod completely and not have to pay the 100 million he is still owed. The insurance angle doesn't seem a factor at this point, the quad injury isn't the sort of thing that NY can claim is a career ending disability, Arod will recover.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
More on the Arod and the doctors. This could get really strange before it settles out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
I'm not an A-Rod fan but if he's healthy enough, he should be in the majors. Right now its MLB and the Yankees vs A-Rod. The union needs to get involved on his behalf, that's their job. Right or wrong he should be in the Majors, then when a suspension comes, he's gone.

Remember what George Steinbrenner did to Dave Winfield? It shouldn't be allowed to happen again.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
If A-Rod plays one game before October, the Yankees will not be able to eligible for insurance money they have on A-Rod's contract. So they are going to delay his comeback for as long as possible in hopes that MLB suspends him before they run out of reasons to not play him.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
I think a perfect "out" for the Yankees would be to assign A-Roid to AA or AAA and let him prove that he can hit in the minors before bringing him up. From what little information I've gathered, he hasn't done diddly squat during rehab.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
If he doesn't return to baseball, we'll miss those Yankee games here at Safeco where Seattle fans boo him and drop monopoly money from the 3rd deck. It has become a tradition since he went to the Rangers in 2001.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Alex Rodriguez accepts New York Yankees' latest plan for rehab assignment - ESPN New York

Quote:
The Alex Rodriguez-New York Yankees soap opera was a five-part miniseries Thursday, culminating in A-Rod again declaring he was ready to play now but -- since he is just "an employee" -- that he would accept the Yankees' plan to have him start a rehab assignment Aug. 1.

If all goes according to plan with the quad and if he is not suspended by baseball in the interim, A-Rod could return to the Yankees soon after Aug. 1. Rodriguez told WFAN radio in New York on Thursday evening that he chose to do a five-day rehab, which could put him back in the lineup by Aug. 6 against the White Sox.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
It is interesting to note tha a couple of hours after the yanks claimed this arod went on the Mike Francessa show and refuted everything the yankees claimed(before this post).
Also rumor has it MLB will seek a lifetime ban of arod even though he has never failed an actionable drug test. I can not fathom MLB justification of how a lifetime ban is justified and have to believe arod will prevail during appeal/court. I'm guessing MLB thought they could bluff arod into a deal like Braun but it looks like that's not happening.
I have to say this whole thing is fascinating but it looks like it will get ugly.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
I keep reading that A Rod will get a 100 to 150 game suspension. I don't really understand why his suspension is longer than the others. Not an ARod fan, just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball