Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 AM

502 posts, read 985,913 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I screwed up in Elementary school under the Hawaii Public School System. I was truant, talked in class to the extent that I was punished and not allowed to attend a field trip. I had failing grades. Same true of high school. My mother cried, my dad threatened, teachers lamented. I got bullied on the playground, spanked by the principal, suspended from the bus. There was not much hope for me. As I grew closer into my senior year in high school, something happened. A presentation from an outside source was attended by the school assembly. Some seeds were planted in my mind by that assembly. I graduated, just barely and got a long series of "loser" type jobs which lasted from weeks to months. I started getting better nourished and things improved as I got direction and helps from above. I know I am venturing toward thin ice, as the intolerant "haters" out there who - with a proud but weak heart announce "separation of church and state." Selah. I humbly proclaim that The God of The Holy Bible is available to any and all who call on His Name for help.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Yeah, I screwed up in Elementary school under the Hawaii Public School System. I was truant, talked in class to the extent that I was punished and not allowed to attend a field trip. I had failing grades. Same true of high school. My mother cried, my dad threatened, teachers lamented. I got bullied on the playground, spanked by the principal, suspended from the bus. There was not much hope for me. As I grew closer into my senior year in high school, something happened. A presentation from an outside source was attended by the school assembly. Some seeds were planted in my mind by that assembly. I graduated, just barely and got a long series of "loser" type jobs which lasted from weeks to months. I started getting better nourished and things improved as I got direction and helps from above. I know I am venturing toward thin ice, as the intolerant "haters" out there who - with a proud but weak heart announce "separation of church and state." Selah. I humbly proclaim that The God of The Holy Bible is available to any and all who call on His Name for help.
Whatever gets you through the night, but separation of Church and State is a core principle of this country. And should be respected as such.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Default Hand pollinating veggetables or fruit trees

Does anyone practice this to supplement their own "small" produce interests if the honey bees seem to be absent, sick, "away" ? I hope I am not considered overly concerned. But honey bees are being stricken by various viruses and hand pollination my be the only resort to stave off a major problem in the future unless you have designs on instructing the various wasps to do the job which is doubtful.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
I think the real trick is to keep the bees healthy and happy. Talking to a local beekeeper at the Farmers Market, he hasn't had any of the die-off that mainland beekeepers have. The distance provides a buffer against the viruses, yeah? But I was surprised that he said farmers here don't "rent" bees like they do on the mainland. His entire income comes from selling the honey and wax from his hives. On the mainland beekeepers also get paid to place their hives in orchards, fields etc. during pollination time. Here, the beekeeper gives a portion of the honey to the farmer to be allowed to have his hives there. Odd difference.

Having a variety of plants on your property that attract bees, and bloom at different times helps keep the wild honeybees healthy.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Default Fern Forest and Fern Acres double in population...

Interesting to see the breakdown of the 2010 Census figures by community. Overall the Big Island population grew almost 25%, but Fern Acres and Fern Forest nearly doubled. So did Ocean View, and Eden Roc hit 109%.

Volcano, where I live, trailed the trend, increasing 15%. Pahoa, for all the growth in the area, actually decreased 2%.

Any surprises for you in the new population figures?

Old 02-26-2011, 02:02 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Not too surprising that Pahoa had a loss. Most of the housing is right on the main road, old, and as Puna grows it becomes less and less desirable as a place to live. Quite a few houses have been converted to commercial uses, while others have simply collapsed.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Default Some say Puna is an undesireable Part of Big Island

Let us get real ! It is the Meth, Ice, Crystal Traffic / manufacturing that is giving Puna the REAL BAD RAP.... It is not the "run down houses". There are places in the world with run down houses where there is no manufactured drugs like Meth and the people live happily and do not rip one another off. ( I have been to some of these places in the world ). yeah. The peeps strung out on Meth and the like will do anything to support their vile habit and that includes stealing every thing you own if given half a chance to break into your place when you are not at home.

It is a problem, that collectively, we can do something about. Looking out for one another and reporting crime to the FBI if the local police are lame or in league with the criminals who may happen to be related by blood.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Christians in The United States of America UNITE

There are evil Satan loving atheists out there in this world who will tell you that this is not a Christian Nation. They are addled brains and evil at the core. The lust of their slow bellies leads them into perdition. There is NO PLACE AT ALL IN THE CONSTITUTION ABOUT SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. The filthy dreamers have spread this lie to serve Satan - their father and the father of all lies.

Their end will be in a very bad place. The Holy Bible says so. The filthy dreamers out there cannot even tell you where their crap comes from. The shrewd atheists spin their crap out and the gullible masses ( like in the scene on the cargo ship in the movie "Water World" w/ Dennis Hopper throwing the cans of spam off his high place to his minions below ), suck up every dirty word.

The Supreme Court of The United States has even declared that this is a CHRISTIAN NATION UNDER GOD (who is to be blessed forever); and Not a hindu, or muslim nation. Let every atheist be Silenced.

But slow bellies do not want to face the truth - they will fume and wail but not face the truth of The Living God who demands that we stop sinning and turn to His Word. But this is too hard for the atheist, slow bellies. Selah

Old 03-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Don't go dragging SPAM into this!!! A guys gotta be left with something to believe in!!!

SOA member. Spamunist of America,,,,, uuuurrrrpppp...........

Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
There are evil Satan loving atheists out there in this world who will tell you that this is not a Christian Nation. They are addled brains and evil at the core. The lust of their slow bellies leads them into perdition. There is NO PLACE AT ALL IN THE CONSTITUTION ABOUT SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. The filthy dreamers have spread this lie to serve Satan - their father and the father of all lies.

Their end will be in a very bad place. The Holy Bible says so. The filthy dreamers out there cannot even tell you where their crap comes from. The shrewd atheists spin their crap out and the gullible masses ( like in the scene on the cargo ship in the movie "Water World" w/ Dennis Hopper throwing the cans of spam off his high place to his minions below ), suck up every dirty word.

The Supreme Court of The United States has even declared that this is a CHRISTIAN NATION UNDER GOD (who is to be blessed forever); and Not a hindu, or muslim nation. Let every atheist be Silenced.

But slow bellies do not want to face the truth - they will fume and wail but not face the truth of The Living God who demands that we stop sinning and turn to His Word. But this is too hard for the atheist, slow bellies. Selah
I am an athiest, but not a "Satan lover" (because there is no Satan, it's a metaphor) nor am I addled or evil. You, on the other hand, are a judgmental whacko.

Athiests will not be silenced by the likes of you or anyone else. Freedom of speech, remember? The SCOTUS is a lot more in support of the 1st Amendment than any notion you have that this is a "Christian" nation. It is, in fact, a melting pot where freedom to worship (or not worship) is a fundamental right. Get used to it...or move to a commune with your fellow extremists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island