Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2020, 02:13 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Just out of curiosity, does being an uncertified teacher necessarily make a particular person a 'bad' teacher versus one who is certified? I presume hiring and retention is determined by the principals of the individual schools, and consequently the performance of the teachers is ultimately the principal's responsibility.
Would a person who becomes a cop without going through a police academy be qualified to be a cop? It would be absurd for a person who knows nothing about policing starts to go on patrol. Same thing with teaching. You may even know a subject, but It doesn’t make them qualified to teach. They didn’t go through a teaching program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 02:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m not sure what views you’re talking about, but What complaints have I had outside the HDOE hiring process?
Well - I don't have the time and motivation to go thru your posting history -

But things started unraveling in July 2017 when you posted the quote below: Things may have been different if you followed your own bolded advice below.

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a done deal; nothing is guaranteed in life and nothing is just given to you, but rather has to be earned. If the hiring for HDOE is a far hiring system, I have few doubts she would not be considered for a position. Being last year HDOE was short 1600 positions and one of the positions in high demand is in her content area, they really have no choice but to hire fairly. Being short 1600 positions in such a small state, one has to assume no one is knocking down any doors to teach there. By no means am I intending to come off contentious, I'm just stating the reality Hawaii's in for retaining teachers and acquiring teachers. If for whatever reason she does not receive an offer from the HDOE, she can also look into private schools. If neither of the two pan out, yeah, it will be disappointing, but we just stay in Virginia. What's meant to be is meant to be.

Not to be boastful and this will not come off humbly. She will have to do at least two interviews and she interviews very well. She can look amazing on paper, magna *** laude, will be five years contracted teaching experience, two degrees and two masters, but if she sounds like an idiot in an interview, none of her accomplishments matter. When she interviewed in Virginia, she interviewed for three school districts and received an offer from each one. She beat out numerous teachers for the same position and it is safe to assume Virginia is more competitive than Hawaii in acquiring a teaching position. Again, I'm not assuming it's a guarantee she gets an offer, but it won't be because she is not qualified. When she interviews, they may very well not like her teaching style. It might not fit into what outcome they want. They may not want to hire a teacher with two masters because they would have to pay her more. It is cheaper to hire a teacher with just a bachelors. They may think she is too old and may be too set in her ways to adjust for teaching in Hawaii. We can list the what ifs all day. All she can do is apply and take it from there. If she gets offered a position, we have a big decision to make depending on where they want her to teach. If she doesn't, we continue our life in Virginia and Hawaii will be a place we just visit. And right now she is half way through her administrative masters. If she ends up landing a administrative job here in Virginia with the DOE, we may very well decide not to move to Hawaii.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
She won’t be considered a resident because for one, she doesn’t possess a Hawaii ID and secondly, by resident, I think they mean more a local Who was educated at Hawaii University than a mainlander who moved here.
Residency isn't determined by a State ID or Drivers License.

A Hawaii Resident is an individual that is domiciled in Hawaii or an individual that resides in Hawaii for other than temporary purpose. An individual domiciled outside Hawaii is considered a Hawaii resident if they spend more than 200 days in Hawaii. If the stay is temporary, you may need to prove you were a permanent resident of another state.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - I don't have the time and motivation to go thru your posting history -

But things started unraveling in July 2017 when you posted the quote below: Things may have been different if you followed your own bolded advice below.
Isn’t that post HDOE related? I’m not sure how that equates to unraveling? And her not being offered a position could very possibly be covid related, no? It happens to be one of the worst pandemics in modern history and schools may not even open up for the entire year. Why hire teachers that are not needed. They aren’t even virtually teaching.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Residency isn't determined by a State ID or Drivers License.

A Hawaii Resident is an individual that is domiciled in Hawaii or an individual that resides in Hawaii for other than temporary purpose. An individual domiciled outside Hawaii is considered a Hawaii resident if they spend more than 200 days in Hawaii. If the stay is temporary, you may need to prove you were a permanent resident of another state.
That’s wonderful news. Then maybe she can find out something in May rather than June.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that post HDOE related? And her not being offered a position could very possibly be covid related, no? It happens to be one of the worst pandemics in modern history and schools may not even open up for the entire year. Why hire teachers that are not needed. They aren’t even virtually teaching.
Multiple times in that thread you stated you weren't moving to Hawaii unless she was offered a teaching position - including the post I quoted to you - presumably because teaching is important to her.

What makes absolutely no sense is - if teaching is that important, why didn't you (and her) follow your own advice and not move unless a position is secured? Or, if teaching is not that important - why move from Hawaii?

Old 09-18-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Multiple times in that thread you stated you weren't moving to Hawaii unless she was offered a teaching position - including the post I quoted to you - presumably because teaching is important to her.

What makes absolutely no sense is - if teaching is that important, why didn't you (and her) follow your own advice and not move unless a position is secured? Or, if teaching is not that important - why move from Hawaii?
We took a chance. People take risks all the time. We didn’t count on Covid being this devastating where schools would shut down not only for an entire semester, but possibly for the entire year. Fortunately I have a decent job and she is cleaning vacation rentals on top of my pension. If it doesn’t work out, it was a nice long vacation. Trying to see the silver lining in all this.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:33 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Quote:
Would a person who becomes a cop without going through a police academy be qualified to be a cop? It would be absurd for a person who knows nothing about policing starts to go on patrol. Same thing with teaching. You may even know a subject, but It doesn’t make them qualified to teach. They didn’t go through a teaching program.

Your reply completely begs the question I asked. In addition, you created a false equivalency by conflating the requirements of two entirely different professions, i.e. policing and teaching. As for certification, I am fairly certain you and your your wife have encountered less than desirable teachers and police while engaged in your respective professions. I seem to recall you have acknowledged as much in past posts. Where these alleged bad apples you encountered, 'certified'?

Old 09-18-2020, 04:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Isn’t that post HDOE related? I’m not sure how that equates to unraveling? And her not being offered a position could very possibly be covid related, no? It happens to be one of the worst pandemics in modern history and schools may not even open up for the entire year. Why hire teachers that are not needed. They aren’t even virtually teaching.[/b]
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...land-students/

Old 09-18-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Not according to A teacher we know here. She mostly sits in her classroom and answer questions on the computer. She says there is hardly any teaching going on. What the DOE says to the media is one thing and what is actually happening is another. The only students who are getting in person learning are special needs students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island