Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 12:00 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
They didn’t ask any of that. Everything they talked about was teaching related. It wasn’t personal. In fact my wife felt it was quite dry unlike her interviews on the mainland. Strangely impersonal. It was as if they were just going through the motions, a formality.

She’s not overqualified, she’s highly qualified. In regards to technology, the school she did teach at though a rural school and title 1, was well funded and had the latest technology available. My wife adopted some of the technology, but preferred many of the antiquated ways. Those were some of the things she would butt heads with the principal about. The principal insisted technology be used for everything and my wife had her method she felt worked better.
Did they ask questions off a sheet? Was it a 3 person panel? Not sure if the DOE works this way, but the rest of the state does. HR presents a list of qualified applicants and they're required to interview so many and ask the same graded questions to all the applicants. Highest grade is considered for the job.

If the interviewers are firing off questions and not show any extra interest, decent chance someone is pre-selected for the position and they're just going through motions. Happens A LOT in government jobs in hawaii. Desired positions are filled first by internal hires, favored workers or subordinates looking to move up a step. If not, then favored external hires. And if the job is totally undesired, then an external hire. If the position sucks (to be frank), the external hire usually will try to lateral to a better position within a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 12:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Exactly. We should have waited it out. Even then, Hawaii doesn’t start looking for mainland teachers until toward the end of spring where mainland schools are filing vacancies in March. There is zero urgency in filling their teacher shortage positions whatsoever no matter how much the media reports on it. The HSTA runs the DOE here. In my opinion, their union is way too powerful. It’s about those in their union first and then the students.

While students here attending private schools are actually going to class, public school kids are not doing anything. They are not doing anything. They get a lesson plan and that’s it. Nothing is being taught to them. But, parents here don’t want their kids to learn anything haole, so it works out good for them.
I have two Hawaiian high school kids coming to my house regularly to do public school work online because they live in a valley off the grid. The amount and depth of the lessons surprised me. The units include short demonstration videos and/or reading passages with questions that allow students to demonstrate comprehension. The lessons keep them busy for 4-5 hours a day.

Just talked to my former girlfriend who teaches Science in California. She doesn't even have to report to her school site to lead her online classes so she stays home. Here they are at school.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:00 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I have two Hawaiian high school kids coming to my house regularly to do public school work online because they live in a valley off the grid. The amount and depth of the lessons surprised me. The units include short demonstration videos and/or reading passages with questions that allow students to demonstrate comprehension. The lessons keep them busy for 4-5 hours a day.

Just talked to my former girlfriend who teaches Science in California. She doesn't even have to report to her school site to lead her online classes so she stays home. Here they are at school.
Maybe not all schools are the same. Maybe you don’t have the pulse of what’s going on at every school and each school is doing their own thing. Maybe you’re out of date of lesson plans. How long have you been retired for? I get you’re a retired teacher, but you sub (babysit). No offense. There is no substitute for in class learning.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
All well documented in various threads.

Any mainland transplant regardless of position should not assume their qualifications will get them a job in Hawaii
That's a common point that I've seen mentioned throughout this forum over the years and in my conversations with people in state.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:32 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Maybe not all schools are the same. Maybe you don’t have the pulse of what’s going on at every school and each school is doing their own thing. Maybe you’re out of date of lesson plans. How long have you been retired for? I get you’re a retired teacher, but you sub (babysit). No offense. There is no substitute for in class learning.
I will agree with this. I think what many colleges are doing is unethical, bait and switching online classes only instead of at least partial in-person instruction. Going online only is fine, if the student is given the option of refunded tuition. But many times they aren't. $40k+ tuition for online only instruction is painful, IMO.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:13 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's a common point that I've seen mentioned throughout this forum over the years and in my conversations with people in state.
And that is why Hawaii has among the worst education system in America. The reading and math proficiency is disgusting throughout every public school here and has the worst teacher shortage in the nation. I told my wife she change her resume to make herself look less qualified. Tongue in cheek.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
I told my wife she change her resume to make herself look less qualified.
The continued path of mainland thinking that it is them and not me will not lead to a teaching position. Just saying.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Quote:
And that is why Hawaii has among the worst education system in America. The reading and math proficiency is disgusting throughout every public school here and has the worst teacher shortage in the nation. I told my wife she change her resume to make herself look less qualified. Tongue in cheek.
Just our of curiosity, if that is the depth of your feelings and understanding (I presume you have only lived here.. the BI.. for several months or so), why did you move here?

Old 09-11-2020, 03:00 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The continued path of mainland thinking that it is them and not me will not lead to a teaching position. Just saying.

Nepotism in PA, Too much competition in No. Va., too much paper work for Prince William county, to expensive for Hawaii...
Sometimes one has to look inside themselves.

Curious what you think makes your wife so overqualified for the mere unwashed masses in Hawaii.
It appears she has degrees and has been teaching for about 5/6 years. That is a solid background, but does not seem like out of the norm. She was not able to get a job in PA (very good public schools), or in the two top district in Northern Virginia (excellent schools), and got her teaching experience in a rural county in Virginia, most of Virginia has good schools, so probably reasonably solid work experience.

All of this makes for a solid candidate, but I am not seeing anything that makes her walk on water, or so over qualified to work here.

Quote:
My wife and I decided to to expand her search for a teaching position which includes Virginia. My wife graduated from Pa. and the job market is extremely competitive with limited openings. Also nepotism runs rampant in the state of Pennsylvania. It appears there are many openings throughout Virginia for secondary English. I was just curious how competitive it is to acquire a contracted position for her content. She has all the required credentials including a masters in education (3.9 GPA). She also has 1 year experience as a long term sub in her content area. She applied to nearly every county and city public school within the state. Her two professors who she used as references just emailed her that they have already received numerous contacts from various school districts ie. email and/or phone. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Quote:
My wife received an email from them that they have an abundance of applicants. Not that they are not considering her for the available positions, but that she is one among many.

Quote:
She is very excited and I'm very excited for her. She canned Prince William county. They now want her to send forms to her references for them fill out and mail which they already have done online for her. Makes no sense. They already have gone above and beyond for her and she can't expect them to jump through more hoops. Prince William is the only county requiring this. How can she go to her references who are phd's and expect them to do more. They are fine with answering the email and taking the phone call, but anything more than that IMO is an insult to them. So hopefully the county she has the interview with offers her something.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:01 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Just our of curiosity, if that is the depth of your feelings and understanding (I presume you have only lived here.. the BI.. for several months or so), why did you move here?

It does seem strange to pickup and move all the way out to a place for which one has such disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island