Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 02:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times

Advertisements

It's hard to believe that six different Principals would pass over someone you describe as the perfect candidate while others from the Mainland are being hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 04:01 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
It's hard to believe that six different Principals would pass over someone you describe as the perfect candidate while others from the Mainland are being hired.
I never said she’s perfect. What’s your problem? Is it possible being we are going through a pandemic and.schools not sure when they are going to open up here. That could be a possibility. It could also be the possible that school budgets are tight do to lack of revenue. White viper thinks it’s because she’s not local. You are judging my wife based upon your opinion of me. She is actually quite pleasant and fun to be with. We both are. It’s not a good thing to judge or have an opinion of a person based on a forum. Lot of things can get lost in translation.

Like I stated, I’ll give you her name and you can ask the principals of the schools she interviewed with.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I never said she’s perfect. What’s your problem? Is it possible being we are going through a pandemic and.schools not sure when they are going to open up here. That could be a possibility. It could also be the possible that school budgets are tight do to lack of revenue. White viper thinks it’s because she’s not local. You are judging my wife based upon your opinion of me. She is actually quite pleasant and fun to be with. We both are. It’s not a good thing to judge or have an opinion of a person based on a forum. Lot of things can get lost in translation.

Like I stated, I’ll give you her name and you can ask the principals of the schools she interviewed with.
Not sure why you took offense to my statement? Is it incorrect?

I don't have an opinion about your wife. Chances are you are both fine people.

You posed questions about why your wife isn't getting hired. Several of us suggested possible reasons, all of which you immediately dismissed as wrong.

My best guess is that HDOE contacted her previous supervisor and was given an unfavorable impression. You somehow know that this did not happen. (When I started here, my previous supervisor was contacted and I wouldn't have ever known if he hadn't told me.)

I sincerely hope she finds a job. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 09-10-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you took offense to my statement? Is it incorrect?

I don't have an opinion about your wife. Chances are you are both fine people.

You posed questions about why your wife isn't getting hired. Several of us suggested possible reasons, all of which you immediately dismissed as wrong.

My best guess is that HDOE contacted her previous supervisor and was given an unfavorable impression. You somehow know that this did not happen. (When I started here, my previous supervisor was contacted and I wouldn't have ever known if he hadn't told me.)

I sincerely hope she finds a job. Good luck to you and your family!
Isn’t that what references are for? This wasn’t her only previous supervisor. Most likely her principal wouldn’t have entertained any call from another principal. That’s the way she is. Also, her principal told her “I’m not sure how I’m going to fill your position,”. They may not have seen eye to eye, but her principal Wouldn’t have been crickets. Also, my wife didn’t torch the principal in her exit interview as other teachers had. She wouldn’t have not said anything. You have a strange way of seeing things that isn’t rationale to me.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:39 PM

17 posts, read 16,124 times
Thank you, @ bus man for your amazingly detailed information with all the links. I really appreciate your kindness and the time you took to write that out for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Hilo does have a bus system. It's not Tri-Met, but it does exist, and it actually provides a higher level of service than one might think. Its route network is sloppily laid out, and its schedules are confusing to understand. But if you're up to the challenge, you could actually make use of it to access many locations in Hilo.

Here's the main website:

Hele-On Transit Services General Information — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Links to individual routes are shown on the right-hand side of the page. Here are the ones that you'd want to start out with:

Intra Hilo - Waiakea-Uka
This is probably the most important one for your purposes. It connects downtown Hilo (the stop labeled Mooheau Bus Terminal) with the University of Hawaii and the shopping areas around Prince Kuhio Plaza.

Route Map:
Intra Hilo - Waiakea-Uka — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20INTRA%20HILO.WAIAKEA%20UKA%2008.15.2020 .pdf

Intra Hilo - Keaukaha
This one covers some of the same area as above, plus it also serves Keaukaha, which is located along the shore on the east side of town.

Route Map:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/20150511092323278.pdf

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20INTRA%20HILO.KEAUKAHA%2008.15.2020.pdf

Intra Hilo - Kaumana
This one also covers some of the same area as above, plus it also serves the Hilo Medical Center and Kaumana on the city's western edge.

Route Map:
Intra Hilo - Kaumana — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20INTRA%20HILO.KAUMANA%2008.15.2020.pdf

Intra Hilo - combined schedule
If you're looking to travel between downtown, Aupuni Center (county offices), Prince Kuhio Plaza, and the airport, this schedule shows the combined service on all routes between those points.

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/terminal-aupuni%20center-prince%20kuhio.pdf

Ka'u-Volcano-Hilo
This route goes between Hilo and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including the towns along the way. It also provides local service within Hilo, between downtown and Prince Kuhio Plaza.

Route Map:
Ka'u-Volcano-Hilo — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20KAU.VOL.HILO%20(M-SAT)%2008.15.2020.pdf

Seaview-Pahoa-Hilo
This one runs south from Hilo to various areas in the Puna District and also operates locally between downtown and Prince Kuhio Plaza.

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20SEAVIEW.NANAWALE.PAHOA.HILO(M-F)%2008.15.2020.pdf

There are other routes as well, primarily ones that run up the Hamakua Coast and then over to Waimea and the Kona side. But what I've listed here are the primary routes within Hilo itself.

Hilo actually has the bones for a decent transit system, if they would just restructure the routes to run within distinct corridors and have timed connections with each other, instead of this crazy-quilt overlapping that they do. And it would certainly help if they would produce timetables that didn't require a PhD to understand. But nevertheless, it is possible -- not really convenient, but possible -- to exist in Hilo without a car.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that what references are for? This wasn’t her only previous supervisor. Most likely her principal wouldn’t have entertained any call from another principal. That’s the way she is. Also, her principal told her “I’m not sure how I’m going to fill your position,”. They may not have seen eye to eye, but her principal Wouldn’t have been crickets. Also, my wife didn’t torch the principal in her exit interview as other teachers had. She wouldn’t have not said anything. You have a strange way of seeing things that isn’t rationale to me.
C'est la vie.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
C'est la vie.
Agreed. Such as life, it’s unpredictable.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:23 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_iris View Post
Thank you, @ bus man for your amazingly detailed information with all the links. I really appreciate your kindness and the time you took to write that out for us.
I hope that you are reading through this thread and some previous threads in response to questions about teaching jobs posted by nyfinestbxtf. I realize that his wife’s situation may be different from yours, but this should all be a good warning to you that getting a teaching job in Hawaii is much different than on the mainland. Hopefully the comments on these threads from people who live on the islands will be of use for you in your job search.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I hope that you are reading through this thread and some previous threads in response to questions about teaching jobs posted by nyfinestbxtf. I realize that his wife’s situation may be different from yours, but this should all be a good warning to you that getting a teaching job in Hawaii is much different than on the mainland. Hopefully the comments on these threads from people who live on the islands will be of use for you in your job search.
Exactly. We should have waited it out. Even then, Hawaii doesn’t start looking for mainland teachers until toward the end of spring where mainland schools are filing vacancies in March. There is zero urgency in filling their teacher shortage positions whatsoever no matter how much the media reports on it. The HSTA runs the DOE here. In my opinion, their union is way too powerful. It’s about those in their union first and then the students.

While students here attending private schools are actually going to class, public school kids are not doing anything. They are not doing anything. They get a lesson plan and that’s it. Nothing is being taught to them. But, parents here don’t want their kids to learn anything haole, so it works out good for them.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Exactly. We should have waited it out. Even then, Hawaii doesn’t start looking for mainland teachers until toward the end of spring where mainland schools are filing vacancies in March. There is zero urgency in filling their teacher shortage positions whatsoever no matter how much the media reports on it. The HSTA runs the DOE here. In my opinion, their union is way too powerful. It’s about those in their union first and then the students.

While students here attending private schools are actually going to class, public school kids are not doing anything. They are not doing anything. They get a lesson plan and that’s it. Nothing is being taught to them. But, parents here don’t want their kids to learn anything haole, so it works out good for them.
All well documented in various threads.

Any mainland transplant regardless of position should not assume their qualifications will get them a job in Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island