Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 03:14 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The continued path of mainland thinking that it is them and not me will not lead to a teaching position. Just saying.
Did you start a thread “The continuing shocking state of Hawaii Public Schools (2015, house)?”

You’re just saying, that’s it. Just saying something doesn’t make it relevant. Also, my wife and I do not share the same brain. She is an individual with her own thoughts. What I’m posting is not a reflection on her. We have no idea why she wasn’t hired. Maybe she didn’t interview well. Maybe she is just not a good interviewer. Maybe it’s because Covid has something to do with it. It might not just a be a coincidence that the worst pandemic in modern history with record loss of revenue to the state, filling all the vacancies would be a strain on the budget. Why hire so many teachers if students aren’t in school and most likely won’t be any time soon? Two of her interviews she did was the most disconnected impersonal interviews she has done. The one high school the principal was in his backyard paying zero attention to the interview and looking around at his dog or kids playing. Most likely the position was already filled, but had to do the interview as a formality. It was the same thing at another school. She was interviewing for a position where the school was keeping the uncertified English teacher no matter what. It was a formality. They have to interview possible candidates for that position as a formality. We know this is true because a friend of ours who teaches there told us they are not getting rid of that teacher. So that is 2 of the interviews that we know was a formality. I thought she did 6 interviews, she did 5. There is this one teacher I met on FB who is a highly qualified special education teacher and was having a hard time finding a job on the BI. She did 11 interviews and nothing. I have been hearing the same thing on FB of other teachers having trouble. My wife interviewed for a middle school position up at Hawi. She said that was the most personal quality interview. She said they were the most engaged and very pleasant. She turned down a couple other interviews because we just bought a house and now we couldn’t move. One was Honokaa and the other was Kona. So it is possible some of the positions she interviewed for were already occupied with someone who isn’t certified. We know for a fact one was and our hunch another was. So that leaves 3 positions she interviewed for and was turned down. So that leaves some possibilities. She interviewed bad for those positions. We are human and can have a bad interview, but all three? The interviews were through zoom and it’s not the same as physically being there. I know one of the interviews there was some technical problems, so the went by phone. Another possibility is it was a formality because the position was already filled, or they aren’t in need for any new teachers now because school is virtual which according to our one friend isn’t even happening because she is not even teaching online. She just gives out the lesson plan and that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 03:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Did you start a thread “The continuing shocking state of Hawaii Public Schools (2015, house)?”
Yes, here it is for reference:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawa...c-schools.html

I also said - in post 5, bolding mine:

Quote:
No, not the kids fault. But if you were only going to pay teachers about $50,000 a year you get what you pay for.
I stand by that above statement - whether they are local hires or come from the mainland. At least in Honolulu - a single person is considered low income at $67,500 or below.

There would be no teacher shortage in Hawaii and the quality of teaching in Hawaii would increase if the compensation matched the cost of living in Hawaii. And, you'd be able to staff it with local candidates with a pool of people to get the best teachers competing for the job. And, yes there are exceptions - but widespread exceptions? No, simply because Hawaii public schools perform so badly.

You'll also note, in that entire thread no proponents for mainland hiring. Quite frankly, that does not solve the underlying problem.

Anyway, here is a decent civil beat article regarding teacher compensation

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/02/wh...ting-teachers/

Old 09-11-2020, 03:47 PM

344 posts, read 251,223 times
Quote:

I stand by that above statement - whether they are local hires or come from the mainland. At least in Honolulu - a single person is considered low income at $67,500 or below.

There would be no teacher shortage in Hawaii and the quality of teaching in Hawaii would increase if the compensation matched the cost of living in Hawaii. And, you'd be able to staff it with local candidates with a pool of people to get the best teachers competing for the job. And, yes there are exceptions - but widespread exceptions? No, simply because Hawaii public schools perform so badly.

You'll also note, in that entire thread no proponents for mainland hiring. Quite frankly, that does not solve the underlying problem.

This seems like a pretty widely known fact.
We have been coming to Hawaii couple times a year for 20+ years, have family on Oahu (their kids go to Kamehameha), but ours would not qualify. So, we specifically waited until we shipped our youngest off to college before moving here. Where we moved from in PA, the public schools are excellent, precisely because they compensate their teachers very well. The positions there are very competitive (have not seen evidence of nepotism), but attract very good teachers. Should not be surprising that you get what you pay for.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:03 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
people on.this forum give good and realistic advice. its interesting how many transplants think they.know.better instead of taking it to heart. it would be like me goiong to the alaska forum and telling them how well id adapt and the wilderness skills id pick up on.the fly. talking in generalities, not directed at ny. i do understand his frustration.though

Old 09-11-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:

You have to also take into consideration Hawaii isn’t producing the amount of teachers needed to fill the open positions and many of the teachers Hawaii does produce don’t stay here to teach. This is why they have the recruitment fairs they have on the mainland. They promise teach and live in paradise. Not sure how a new teacher can afford and live in paradise on the salary they start out with. This is why they don’t last long. I did read an article here how a teacher left after two years because administration is horrible.

We are in a unique position that many mainland teachers most likely are not in. I’m retired collecting a monthly pension where we can afford to live here. On top of my pension, I work full time. There would be no financial burden forcing us to leave. I would be curious what that stat is, “cause of not retaining mainland teachers.” Is it mostly financial or something else or a limitless of everything. At least for some hires, if there is no financial burden, that could be a more attractive hire. Maybe if schools who interviewed her asked “what brought us here.” She would have told them “my husband is retired from a police department and fill in the blank.”

Old 09-11-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Just our of curiosity, if that is the depth of your feelings and understanding (I presume you have only lived here.. the BI.. for several months or so), why did you move here?
Numerous local articles have complained about the education system here. It is no secret that education system here is not quite a success. Why we moved here really isn’t an easy question. We did think there would be a job opportunity here for my wife where she can help. We spent 20 years away from one another with me traveling back and forth from NY to Pennsylvania and then Virginia where she started her teaching career. We have had some ups and downs during that time. We wanted to move to a place that was different. We wanted to start something new in a new place. Our marriage has been solidified for several years now, but wanted to hit a reset button. Have that lifestyle change. Be in a place where everything isn’t so rushed. No idea if that’s a pipe dream or not. We have no idea if this is for us or not. No idea how long it will take us to acclimate being so far from the East coast, away from family and friends. Right now my wife’s mother won’t talk to any of us, not even her grandchildren. Couple that with my wife isn’t able to teach, it’s very depressing. So my wife sits at home and her mind is constantly on this. It is one hell of a rough start. So she has no relationship with her mother that most likely will never get repaired and she has no job. I’m a Christian and I believe God has a plan for us and wherever we are, there is a purpose for it. We are not here in Hawaii by accident. There is a reason we are here. I just might not understand all of it.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:58 PM

344 posts, read 251,223 times
Quote:

You’re just saying, that’s it. Just saying something doesn’t make it relevant. Also, my wife and I do not share the same brain. She is an individual with her own thoughts. What I’m posting is not a reflection on her. We have no idea why she wasn’t hired. Maybe she didn’t interview well. Maybe she is just not a good interviewer. Maybe it’s because Covid has something to do with it. It might not just a be a coincidence that the worst pandemic in modern history with record loss of revenue to the state, filling all the vacancies would be a strain on the budget. Why hire so many teachers if students aren’t in school and most likely won’t be any time soon? Two of her interviews she did was the most disconnected impersonal interviews she has done. The one high school the principal was in his backyard paying zero attention to the interview and looking around at his dog or kids playing. Most likely the position was already filled, but had to do the interview as a formality. It was the same thing at another school. She was interviewing for a position where the school was keeping the uncertified English teacher no matter what. It was a formality. They have to interview possible candidates for that position as a formality. We know this is true because a friend of ours who teaches there told us they are not getting rid of that teacher. So that is 2 of the interviews that we know was a formality. I thought she did 6 interviews, she did 5. There is this one teacher I met on FB who is a highly qualified special education teacher and was having a hard time finding a job on the BI. She did 11 interviews and nothing. I have been hearing the same thing on FB of other teachers having trouble. My wife interviewed for a middle school position up at Hawi. She said that was the most personal quality interview. She said they were the most engaged and very pleasant. She turned down a couple other interviews because we just bought a house and now we couldn’t move. One was Honokaa and the other was Kona. So it is possible some of the positions she interviewed for were already occupied with someone who isn’t certified. We know for a fact one was and our hunch another was. So that leaves 3 positions she interviewed for and was turned down. So that leaves some possibilities. She interviewed bad for those positions. We are human and can have a bad interview, but all three? The interviews were through zoom and it’s not the same as physically being there. I know one of the interviews there was some technical problems, so the went by phone. Another possibility is it was a formality because the position was already filled, or they aren’t in need for any new teachers now because school is virtual which according to our one friend isn’t even happening because she is not even teaching online. She just gives out the lesson plan and that is it.

This seems much more reasonable thought process. Finding a new job in a new place is always challenging, made significantly more difficult during the Covid pandemic. There may be a myriad of reason she has not landed a position yet, and it might be a different reason for different places she has interviewed. I am sure she is not alone in this right now. Many very well qualified people are struggling to find good quality positions in many career fields.

I think if you had expressed a balanced sentiment like that several pages ago (instead of placing all the blame on the system of hiring being unfair to experienced teachers), much of the previous questions/criticisms might have been avoided. Anyway, good luck to you and your wife. When do you find out about your police dept. application?

Old 09-11-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
people on.this forum give good and realistic advice. its interesting how many transplants think they.know.better instead of taking it to heart. it would be like me goiong to the alaska forum and telling them how well id adapt and the wilderness skills id pick up on.the fly. talking in generalities, not directed at ny. i do understand his frustration.though
I Know you aren’t directing your post directly at me, but so it’s clear, I do not know Any better and I don’t think indicated I do.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
This seems much more reasonable thought process. Finding a new job in a new place is always challenging, made significantly more difficult during the Covid pandemic. There may be a myriad of reason she has not landed a position yet, and it might be a different reason for different places she has interviewed. I am sure she is not alone in this right now. Many very well qualified people are struggling to find good quality positions in many career fields.

I think if you had expressed a balanced sentiment like that several pages ago (instead of placing all the blame on the system of hiring being unfair to experienced teachers), much of the previous questions/criticisms might have been avoided. Anyway, good luck to you and your wife. When do you find out about your police dept. application?
I passed the test and was invited to the physical fitness test. I need to prep a little for that.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:15 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Maybe not all schools are the same. Maybe you don’t have the pulse of what’s going on at every school and each school is doing their own thing. Maybe you’re out of date of lesson plans. How long have you been retired for? I get you’re a retired teacher, but you sub (babysit). No offense. There is no substitute for in class learning.
You continually speak authoritatively about education and schools even though you are not a teacher. If I were to describe law enforcement, based upon what I learned from BLM, you would be calling me on it.

Perhaps I'm "out of date of lesson plans", whatever that is, but I know a hell of a lot more about education than you do (or your source of misinformation). 38 years in the classroom yet somehow you know more about the job than I do?

Many people on this forum have given you good advice. You reject most of it. One thing you have demonstrated clearly is that you are an expert on just about everything. (Also no offense. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island