Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:22 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Attempting to apply logic to common sense issues in Hawaii will only continue to leave you even more frustrating.
I hope you’re wrong because if you’re right, we will be going back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 10:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
No, her interview wasn’t off putting. Why would her style be off putting? That makes no sense. She knows how to interview. Also, why would her qualities not be positive in one school, but positive in another? She teaches English and is good at it. She helps kids give their best effort and it shows in their knowledge they gain. Every interview she has done for positions here and on the mainland are pretty much the same questions and they look for the same things. They ask questions how to include kids who have disabilities, philosophy of teaching, how to help kids who are falling behind, classroom management, how to keep kids interested and engaged, and so on. It i believe was a formality. Schools has to interview highly qualified teachers if they are in the pool. They are not obligated to hire them. One school we know were doing interviews for a English position occupied by an uncertified teacher. They kept the uncertified teacher. One school she interviewed with the principal that turned my wife down emailed her and stated “you are highly qualified, educated, and experienced. You will find a position.”
I am always amazed by your posts because you often state your opinions as "facts". For example: How do you know her interview wasn't "off-putting"? You couldn't know that unless the interviewer told you. Schools don't turn down highly-qualified candidates to save money. The DOE pays salaries, not individual schools.

If your wife is as cocksure as you, it was probably "off-putting" to the interviewers. Several of us have suggested how important it is to be "humble" or "demure" in interviews here in Hawaii yet you don't accept that because it's not that way on the mainland. She is simply not being rejected because she is overqualified.

Right now Covid-19 may be playing a role in hiring but the schools still need teachers to operate distance learning.

I have, once-again, been offered full-time positions (which I have declined). I received offers because they know me. They don't know your wife yet. When face-to-face school starts back, substitute positions will become available which will give her an opportunity to become "known".

Old 09-08-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I am always amazed by your posts because you often state your opinions as "facts". For example: How do you know her interview wasn't "off-putting"? You couldn't know that unless the interviewer told you. Schools don't turn down highly-qualified candidates to save money. The DOE pays salaries, not individual schools.

If your wife is as cocksure as you, it was probably "off-putting" to the interviewers. Several of us have suggested how important it is to be "humble" or "demure" in interviews here in Hawaii yet you don't accept that because it's not that way on the mainland. She is simply not being rejected because she is overqualified.

Right now Covid-19 may be playing a role in hiring but the schools still need teachers to operate distance learning.

I have, once-again, been offered full-time positions (which I have declined). I received offers because they know me. They don't know your wife yet. When face-to-face school starts back, substitute positions will become available which will give her an opportunity to become "known".
Im glad you’re amazed at my posts. I’ll take that as a compliment. Maybe you are mistaking my factual posts as opinion? Regardless, I’m confident my wife’s interview wasn’t off putting. She was offered positions on the mainland this year and when she first was interviewing for teaching positions she was offered positions then. I get there are some cultural differences from the mainland to Hawaii, but not sure how that would have any effect on the interview process. Hawaii isn’t an alien world.

We came to that conclusion after she was emailed by one of the principals when they stated “you are highly qualified, highly educated, and experienced. You will find a teaching position.” And we also came to that conclusion when we found out another school was keeping an non-certified teacher. Another clue was after talking to other teachers who are Highly qualified weren’t able to get offered a position. You are just assuming it was her because you don’t like me or at least my politics. My wife knows how to interview for a teaching position. She’s not a social idiot. She’s very approachable and humble. It’s apparent she is competent coming from a non union right to work state where teachers have no tenure. She could have been fired without cause at any time. Also, they expect results from their teachers where she taught. She knew many teachers who were put on improvement plans for reasons extending from poor student academic performance or lack of classroom management.

It is known that school districts will turn down highly qualified teachers do to budget cuts. Maybe that’s not how it works here and if it isn’t, it’s one of two other reasons. It’s either do to Covid and schools aren’t filling positions now or because she is haole.

Hilo high school did reach out to her to sub and the principal stated he would endorse her sub application. He said the subbing will be temporary until Covid let’s up and there is something permanent.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 09-08-2020 at 11:49 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 07:00 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
nyfinest - I don't agree with mauian on many of his posts, but I agree with him completely here.

If offered a subbing job to try out, she should accept it. Then obviously work hard and try to network within the system, as he is suggesting.

Normally the market for teachers in hawaii tends to be more open, especially at disadvantaged schools, not sure how covid is changing this since it's tightening the job market and causing other issues relating to distancing and such.

I will say this though, and it's frequently overrepeated, but in hawaii it really is who you know, and not as much what you know. Not only for teaching jobs, but in many aspects of life here. The principal likely would hire someone recommended from a braddahs, niece's, unko, calabash cousin, who grad same year from konawaena as her best friend's daughter - over someone from the mainland with impeccable credentials and references. Is this right? Maybe not, but it is what it is. As an outsider, probably would have a better chance of blending in the crowd on oahu than any of the outer islands due to its higher population and less tight knit communities.

Understanding and trying to learn and work within the system will get you a lot farther than attempting to stand on your experience and certifications alone. Does your wife personally know any educators in hawaii that would vouch for her? Because a phone call placed from that teacher to the principal, especially if their families are familiar with each other, will go WAY further than any ivy league master degree and credentials. In hilo, family connections is BIG. You may not know the other person directly, but your dad might be friends with the principal's mom, and THAT will seal the deal.

I'm certain that this isn't specific to hawaii, but many people in upper level management and administration who worked their way up through the ranks are threatened by an outsider with a high degree of experience and education. So having all of that possibly is hurting her chances versus a 22 year old rookie with a 4 year education degree. I currently am an executive and have been in management for some time now, and personally don't feel that way. There is a lot of value in training someone up from scratch, who hopefully haven't been exposed to bad habits and work ethics. But I generally think purposefully hiring weaker workers is a backwards way of thinking, and the stronger your subordinates are, the more it helps to lift the quality and productivity of your entire department. On the assumption, that individual can play well with others and isn't himakamaka and an elitist.

Last edited by rya96797; 09-09-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-09-2020, 07:23 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Attempting to apply logic to common sense issues in Hawaii will only continue to leave you even more frustrating.
ahahahaha.... well said. Just look at the insanity relating to the entire covid issue. overall, the entire state response has been nonsensical and dysfunctional. In good times, it's mostly an annoyance, but in crisis, it's becomes a bigger deal. Just look at the governor's dealings with the missile crisis and TMT and apply that on a wide scale level. Once you start befuddling residents, who are already used to incompetence, you know it's BAD.

Quote:
Well documented in other threads - you can also replace the word dog with roosters.
or coquis?

Honestly though in hilo, roosters and dogs cooped up in kennels all day barking because they've gone mental are a part of life. Astute on NY part to realize that going over to a neighbor house with an undesired peace offering will likely not be well accepted. Better to just let things lie since bringing it up with the neighbor likely won't change anything and will likely **** the neighbor off and turn all the other neighbors against you. Domestic issues in hilo, yep. Again, best not to white knight intervene, because that will not turn out well for you.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:46 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_iris View Post
5) How is the bus system? Will I need a car? I currently walk and bus anywhere I need to go (about a 5 mile radius).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The bus system is practically non existent
Hilo does have a bus system. It's not Tri-Met, but it does exist, and it actually provides a higher level of service than one might think. Its route network is sloppily laid out, and its schedules are confusing to understand. But if you're up to the challenge, you could actually make use of it to access many locations in Hilo.

Here's the main website:

Hele-On Transit Services General Information — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Links to individual routes are shown on the right-hand side of the page. Here are the ones that you'd want to start out with:

Intra Hilo - Waiakea-Uka
This is probably the most important one for your purposes. It connects downtown Hilo (the stop labeled Mooheau Bus Terminal) with the University of Hawaii and the shopping areas around Prince Kuhio Plaza.

Route Map:
Intra Hilo - Waiakea-Uka — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20INTRA%20HILO.WAIAKEA%20UKA%2008.15.2020 .pdf

Intra Hilo - Keaukaha
This one covers some of the same area as above, plus it also serves Keaukaha, which is located along the shore on the east side of town.

Route Map:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/20150511092323278.pdf

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20INTRA%20HILO.KEAUKAHA%2008.15.2020.pdf

Intra Hilo - Kaumana
This one also covers some of the same area as above, plus it also serves the Hilo Medical Center and Kaumana on the city's western edge.

Route Map:
Intra Hilo - Kaumana — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20INTRA%20HILO.KAUMANA%2008.15.2020.pdf

Intra Hilo - combined schedule
If you're looking to travel between downtown, Aupuni Center (county offices), Prince Kuhio Plaza, and the airport, this schedule shows the combined service on all routes between those points.

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/terminal-aupuni%20center-prince%20kuhio.pdf

Ka'u-Volcano-Hilo
This route goes between Hilo and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including the towns along the way. It also provides local service within Hilo, between downtown and Prince Kuhio Plaza.

Route Map:
Ka'u-Volcano-Hilo — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20KAU.VOL.HILO%20(M-SAT)%2008.15.2020.pdf

Seaview-Pahoa-Hilo
This one runs south from Hilo to various areas in the Puna District and also operates locally between downtown and Prince Kuhio Plaza.

Route Schedule:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SCHEDULE%20SEAVIEW.NANAWALE.PAHOA.HILO(M-F)%2008.15.2020.pdf

There are other routes as well, primarily ones that run up the Hamakua Coast and then over to Waimea and the Kona side. But what I've listed here are the primary routes within Hilo itself.

Hilo actually has the bones for a decent transit system, if they would just restructure the routes to run within distinct corridors and have timed connections with each other, instead of this crazy-quilt overlapping that they do. And it would certainly help if they would produce timetables that didn't require a PhD to understand. But nevertheless, it is possible -- not really convenient, but possible -- to exist in Hilo without a car.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_iris View Post
4) Are there neighborhoods to avoid? I would like my teen daughter to go out walking on her own and to feel safe. We will be fine with a tiny space to start out, even a studio apartment will do.
Personally, I find the Pu'u'eo neighborhood to be a bit sketchy. (I think that's what it's called. I'm referring to the area along Pu'u'eo Street and Wainaku Street from the Wailuku River up to Kauila Street.) It's kind of ironic, because one of Hilo's absolutely best hotels, the Dolphin Bay, is located there. I've stayed there several times and never had a problem (except for one time when some rude jerk blasted his car horn at 4:00 in the morning to attract someone's attention), but I don't think I'd feel comfortable actually living in that neighborhood.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
nyfinest - I don't agree with mauian on many of his posts, but I agree with him completely here.

If offered a subbing job to try out, she should accept it. Then obviously work hard and try to network within the system, as he is suggesting.

Normally the market for teachers in hawaii tends to be more open, especially at disadvantaged schools, not sure how covid is changing this since it's tightening the job market and causing other issues relating to distancing and such.

I will say this though, and it's frequently overrepeated, but in hawaii it really is who you know, and not as much what you know. Not only for teaching jobs, but in many aspects of life here. The principal likely would hire someone recommended from a braddahs, niece's, unko, calabash cousin, who grad same year from konawaena as her best friend's daughter - over someone from the mainland with impeccable credentials and references. Is this right? Maybe not, but it is what it is. As an outsider, probably would have a better chance of blending in the crowd on oahu than any of the outer islands due to its higher population and less tight knit communities.

Understanding and trying to learn and work within the system will get you a lot farther than attempting to stand on your experience and certifications alone. Does your wife personally know any educators in hawaii that would vouch for her? Because a phone call placed from that teacher to the principal, especially if their families are familiar with each other, will go WAY further than any ivy league master degree and credentials. In hilo, family connections is BIG. You may not know the other person directly, but your dad might be friends with the principal's mom, and THAT will seal the deal.

I'm certain that this isn't specific to hawaii, but many people in upper level management and administration who worked their way up through the ranks are threatened by an outsider with a high degree of experience and education. So having all of that possibly is hurting her chances versus a 22 year old rookie with a 4 year education degree. I currently am an executive and have been in management for some time now, and personally don't feel that way. There is a lot of value in training someone up from scratch, who hopefully haven't been exposed to bad habits and work ethics. But I generally think purposefully hiring weaker workers is a backwards way of thinking, and the stronger your subordinates are, the more it helps to lift the quality and productivity of your entire department. On the assumption, that individual can play well with others and isn't himakamaka and an elitist.
She knows a couple teachers from the mainland who were hired last year. They told her the “schools her desperately need teachers. If their content area isn’t available, they’ll even try to bring them in to teach something outside their content area. They said it doesn’t matter if you’re from the mainland, they are in desperate need for teachers.”

There aren’t even enough of braddahs nieces auntie cousin to fill the open positions, at least any who have a degree. The schools as bad as they are, they aren’t going to bring in a high school drop out to teach math. I do know that if you have a degree, the schools here will put you through a program to get your teacher certificate. With that said your job is not secure at that school until you are certified to teach.

Yeah, my wife will sub when schools open back up, if they ever do open back up. I Understand your perspective of hiring a new teacher compared to an experienced teacher. Studies has shown a experienced teacher usually pans out better. Not everyone is cut out for teaching and an experienced teacher has worked out the wrinkles of what works and what doesn’t work. Also, there really isn’t a way of molding a teacher. It’s not like it’s an apprenticeship. A teacher will be observed from time to time and that’s about it. Where my wife taught, her and the principal didn’t see eye to eye and butt heads a lot, but the principal did like how she runs her classroom and also my wife’s students had the best State test scores compared to other English teachers in her grade at her school. She had the highest pass rate for a couple years in a row. When a school hires an inexperienced teacher, they have no idea what they are getting. This is especially true for new teachers who don’t know how to manage a classroom. Not all teachers are cut out for it and many have left the profession. If you have poor Classroom management, it can break you. My wife knows what works and doesn’t and she has the right demeanor. So many teachers just allow students to run over them. My wife doesn’t. She has seen teachers come and go because of that and the principal my wife didn’t get along with would ask her to couch teachers who were struggling with their classroom management. If a teacher couldn’t control their classroom, they would not be offered a position the following year.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
She knows a couple teachers from the mainland who were hired last year.
A teacher will be observed from time to time and that’s about it. Where my wife taught, her and the principal didn’t see eye to eye and butt heads a lot, but the principal did like how she runs her classroom and also my wife’s students had the best State test scores compared to other English teachers in her grade at her school. She had the highest pass rate for a couple years in a row. When a school hires an inexperienced teacher, they have no idea what they are getting. This is especially true for new teachers who don’t know how to manage a classroom. Not all teachers are cut out for it and many have left the profession. If you have poor Classroom management, it can break you. My wife knows what works and doesn’t and she has the right demeanor. So many teachers just allow students to run over them. My wife doesn’t. She has seen teachers come and go because of that and the principal my wife didn’t get along with would ask her to couch teachers who were struggling with their classroom management. If a teacher couldn’t control their classroom, they would not be offered a position the following year.
Perhaps that is the key to your mystery. School Administrators DO call your previous employers for recommendations. Her former principal may have indicated that your wife is "difficult". Clearly something has caused her to be rejected 6 times in a teacher's market and it isn't being overqualified.

Edit: A Principal will NOT say something negative for which they could be sued. They will either grow quiet when asked a pointed question or state that they prefer not to answer a question. (No comment.)
When I started here, I know for a fact that my former Principal was contacted.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 09-09-2020 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 09-09-2020, 06:41 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
See original post. This person is currently living without a car and was apparently hoping to do the same in Hilo. Therefore, it is unfortunate for them that this won't be feasible.

Everyone doesn't share your perspective on car ownership, obviously.
Having a car will, I suspect, open his or her life exponentially. Freedom usually does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island