Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
One of my new favorite authors is Luke Christodoulou.

He has three books out in a series with more to come and with each book a stand-alone. But, it does enhance the reading if you read them in order. These are all set in modern times.

Big surprise! The author is Greek. These are mystery books with a dream team of 2 nifty detectives. A male and female. They like and respect each other so very much. The novels take place in Greece and its islands.

Again, these books have third, fourth and fifth characters that are 1)the scenery, 2) the culture and, 3) the Greeks themselves.

These are not exactly light reading but they are not heavy, either. They are pure enjoyment. I hope it makes sense saying "they make me happy."

https://www.amazon.com/Greek-Island-...olympus+killer
Ket, thank you for this. My wonderful first husband was Greek and so all of my children are half Greek. I love the culture so I will definitely be reading the author you mentioned. I can't wait to sink my chops into the first one.
ETA: I just purchased the first three books! So excited to start!

Last edited by Holly-Kay; 08-20-2016 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: additional comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 06:06 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,594 times

Awesome bedtime reading, lol

Old 08-20-2016, 08:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I went to a rummage sale and spent a whopping $1.00 on these books:

Aromatherapy: Scent and Psyche: Using Essential Oils for Physical and Emotional Well-Being Damian, Peter

Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health Stone, Gene

Unlikely Friendships : 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom Holland, Jennifer S.

Now the Hell Will Start: One Soldier's Flight from the Greatest Manhunt of World War II Koerner, Brendan I.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin Larson, Erik

The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea Sebastian Junger

All the Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy, #1) McCarthy, Cormac

A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher, #17) Child, Lee

Birds of Prey (J.P. Beaumont, #15) Jance, J.A.

The Outsiders S.E. Hinton

Old 08-20-2016, 08:55 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Aromatherapy: Scent and Psyche: Using Essential Oils for Physical and Emotional Well-Being Damian, Peter

Unlikely Friendships : 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom Holland, Jennifer S.

Now the Hell Will Start: One Soldier's Flight from the Greatest Manhunt of World War II Koerner, Brendan I.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin Larson, Erik

You should have purchased that other popular classic "Hey, Big Spender!"

Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

I've read a few of the books, Lisa.

I sorta' know what you like and I would suggest "The Outsiders" for the first one to read. I think you would really enjoy that one. Also, "In the Garden of Beasts" is exceptional and it is all true. I love anything that Erik Larson writes. "The Perfect Storm" is also very good. It's another nonfiction gem by Sebastian Junger. The man is a great author and researcher.

"All the Pretty Horses" was a great surprise. The next two in the trilogy are also great. I have yet to read a Cormac McCarthy book that I did not totally enjoy.

I suspect you have already read the ones I listed.

BTW, you made a killing with the purchase of the books. Very cool, indeed.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
You should have purchased that other popular classic "Hey, Big Spender!"

Ha, ha…yes I admit I'm pretty frugal, lol.(and that's putting it nicely)

Ketabcha-
BTW, thanks fro the recommendation yesterday. One of that author's books was a freebie so I ordered it.

The only one I have read was The Outsiders in school so that will be a refresher. The rest are new to me.

I love Erik Larson and am looking forward to Sebastian Junger, and the Cormac McCarthy one. The others looked good but I was trying to get to an even dollar hence the Aromatherapy and Forks Over Knives book(although that one does have recipes).

The animal one has some really adorable pictures in it. I will pass that one on the my GD

Last edited by ylisa7; 08-20-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
I read that new Harry Potter book adapted from the theatre play.

I don't think it was as bad as people paint it to be. Obviously there were millions of plot holes, but to me it was still an entertaining read. Harry and Malfoy's kids are absolutely adorable, for one.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Between River and Sea: Encounters in Israel and Palestine by Dervla Murphy. Accounts of trips she made in those areas.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
"Famous Nathan: A Family Saga of Coney Island, the American Dream and the Search for the Perfect Hot Dog" by Lloyd Handwerker

Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm reading The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman. At first I was not impressed but it's grown on me a lot. It's set in Australia and an island off the coast of Australia in the 1920's. It's an intriguing story told well. Sometimes the writing seems a little self-conscious and I think there are some cultural anachronisms, but I'd give it 3.5 stars at this point. The ending could go any of a number of ways so I may revise that rating before it's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books