Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 06:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Finished The Lost Girls and I enjoyed it. I'm not sure I can totally convince Dawn to read it, but I was very disappointed when I had to put it down. It's been a busy week to so that happened a lot, unfortunately. The story is told from 2 points of view, Lucy reflecting on 1 summer of her childhood, and Justine, her great-niece in the "present" which is actually 1999. Lucy is told from 1st person POV and Justine from 3rd.
Hmmmm. Well, it's still on my "to read" list so I'll circle back to it eventually.

I just started Talking It Over by Julian Barnes. I like it so far. I usually like his stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 09:55 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
The Chosen Ones: A Novel by Steve Sem-Sandberg.

To say that I enjoyed it would not be a apt description due to what the book is about.
However, it is a very good book. The author's writing style is beautiful. Based on fact, the story is horrendous. Basically it deals with disabled children in Nazi controlled Austria before, during and after WWII. The medical "institutions" these kids were placed in were akin to the killing camps without work gangs.

As I neared the end of the book I yearned for some info on how these "medical" personal were punished after the war. I was not disappointed.

It's a tough read. It's devastating and very informative at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Chosen-Ones-N...e+sem-sandberg

Old 10-28-2016, 11:13 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hmmmm. Well, it's still on my "to read" list so I'll circle back to it eventually.

I just started Talking It Over by Julian Barnes. I like it so far. I usually like his stuff.
Fair warning if you do read it, there are some things that are hard to take in it but I'm glad I read it.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Well " The devil in Jerusalem " by Naomi Ragen . was a disturbing book to say the least . I have been picking disturbing books lately don't know why but I have been . Now I'm done and over with the disturbing books really .

Old 10-29-2016, 04:44 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,744 times
I'm reading "Without Reservation" for the 2nd time. Story of Foxwoods, quite interesting to see how people lied about their Indian heritage when it became advantageous to be a Native American.

Also, the attorneys were able and will to bamboozle the politicians. All in all, lots of greed and corruption by most included. Very Interesting, written by Jeff Benedict

Old 10-29-2016, 05:27 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,767 times
I finished up 1632 by Eric Flint. A six mile radius of an Appalachian mining town is suddenly transported to the Thirty Years War in Germany. I was bothered by the fact the author decided it was ok to try to write one character with a Scottish brogue. Hate when I'm pulled out of a story while I try to figure out what exactly the character is saying. I will try the next book in the series, 1633.

Currently back to reading the Discworld series - never realized how prolific Pratchett was!

Old 10-29-2016, 05:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I finished up 1632 by Eric Flint. A six mile radius of an Appalachian mining town is suddenly transported to the Thirty Years War in Germany. I was bothered by the fact the author decided it was ok to try to write one character with a Scottish brogue. Hate when I'm pulled out of a story while I try to figure out what exactly the character is saying. I will try the next book in the series, 1633.

Currently back to reading the Discworld series - never realized how prolific Pratchett was!
Which is the first book in the Discworld series? I've never read any of the books. I started one once and had trouble getting into it and it bothered me that I didn't know which order it was in the series. Does it matter which book you read first? There are an awful lot of the discworld books.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Which is the first book in the Discworld series? I've never read any of the books. I started one once and had trouble getting into it and it bothered me that I didn't know which order it was in the series. Does it matter which book you read first? There are an awful lot of the discworld books.
The Colour of Magic is the first book of the Discworld series. Here's a link to the reading order: Discworld Reading Order - Terry Pratchett I started reading the series randomly but found that a few were sequels to previous books. Now I look the series up on goodreads to figure out which one to read next.

Hope you enjoy the book. I must admit that I thought the first book was so-so when I read it but my son had given me 4 books to read, so I read the next and quite enjoyed it. I really enjoy his sense of humor and the cleverness.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Well I just finished "My name is Lucy Barton " and it was good I read it in two days ... finally one that was not so disturbing . Dreaming Spies by Laurie R King is next and I hope that one is just as good . I'm sorry Laurie King decided to kill off Mary Russell as she was a fave character of mine .

Old 10-30-2016, 07:24 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Believe it or not - I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow. I say believe it or not because I started it and loved it over a month ago (work, pesky, pesky work got in the way!). I really enjoyed it but my enjoyment was seriously impacted by reading it on the Kindle. I am going to try to get a cheap "real" version to go back and re-read parts. Russian names in novels have always been a confounder for me and I admit to losing track of some of the characters. This book deserves a re-read, but in a paper version.

The ending surprised me and confused me a bit - again, a re-read is in order.

One strange question for those of you who read this beautiful book - Why did every single chapter title begin with the letter A?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books