Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 AM

496 posts, read 395,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Don't get me wrong, I have liked some of King's books. Just not for a long time.

I was just musing on the idea, "Why doesn't King just quit writing and retire?" when I realized, he's addicted to writing! It would be as impossible for King to quit writing as you or I to quit breathing.

I predict that one day when he dies he will be in the middle of writing a book.
But in true SK fashion he will finish it from the other side or inhabit Tabitha's body to finish it.

Have you ever read anything by Tabitha King? I was quite taken with a few of her books that I read many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Marlowe, is Stand by me by SK? I couldn't find it in the Kindle store.
Oooops. I accidentally mislead you. My apologies.

The story is called The Body, but it was made into a movie called Stand By Me.

The Body originally appeared in a 4-story collection called Different Seasons. As I remember, all the stories were good.

*****I just went back and read synopses of two of the stories, The Breathing Method and Apt Pupil. Both sound very dark and I probably would not read either of them today.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
But in true SK fashion he will finish it from the other side or inhabit Tabitha's body to finish it.

Have you ever read anything by Tabitha King? I was quite taken with a few of her books that I read many years ago.
If there is any way for King to continue finishing his last book posthumously I'm sure he will figure it out. Who knows? Maybe he will continue writing from beyond the grave, and maybe being dead may even enhance the realism of his works!

Honestly I was never a King fan, maybe read 6-7 of his books before I tired of that genre. A few more Koontz and similar authors, but I'm just not into the genre any more. I moved to fantasy and then to urban fantasy. If I go back to anything it will be mystery, suspense, thrillers. I do have favorite authors in those genres to catch up to.

Recommending anything King-like to me, I appreciate the thought but it is wasted effort.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Quote:

I've read a few by Tabitha and the one that stuck with me the most was Pearl.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Dawn, good to hear you finished and like A Piece of the World. Ketabcha, thanks, now I am adding The Chilbury Ladies Choir to my list. Sigh.

Since Thursday, I read The Couple Next Door and The Afterlife of Stars. Both 3-1/2 stars. The former is 3rd person present tense which isn't my favorite and it wasn't as gripping as I had hoped. The latter I wanted more I think, like the story ended a couple of chapters too soon for what I wanted.

About to start Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Dawn, good to hear you finished and like A Piece of the World. Ketabcha, thanks, now I am adding The Chilbury Ladies Choir to my list. Sigh.

Since Thursday, I read The Couple Next Door and The Afterlife of Stars. Both 3-1/2 stars. The former is 3rd person present tense which isn't my favorite and it wasn't as gripping as I had hoped. The latter I wanted more I think, like the story ended a couple of chapters too soon for what I wanted.

About to start Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris.
Aw, I'm sorry that you didn't like The Afterlife of Stars as much as I did.

I hope that the one that you're starting now is a winner for you.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Aw, I'm sorry that you didn't like The Afterlife of Stars as much as I did.

I hope that the one that you're starting now is a winner for you.
I didn't read the entire description but had a preconceived idea that it was going to be more like City of Thieves. I blame myself for it. I did like it though.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I didn't read the entire description but had a preconceived idea that it was going to be more like City of Thieves. I blame myself for it. I did like it though.
I can see how you could have thought that. I guess, from more recently having read The Book of Jonas, I thought it would be more like that one. The Book of Jonas was better, though.

I just stopped working (it's after 10:00 p.m.) and I need a wind-down, but something light. I read up to 2% of Spill, Simmer, Falter, Wither and I was already sobbing. The author described how the dog walked out of the shelter with his body so low to the ground as if he was weighted down by fear and my eyes flooded. I returned the book to my library immediately.

I'm going to read Marlow's suggestion of Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson. Girlhood and accidental fame won't make me weep. Well, maybe because my girlhood is gone and I'll never be famous, accidentally or otherwise.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:23 PM

The Book of Jonas is on my list.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
The Book of Jonas is on my list.
I know. I just hope that you like it more than the other one. I *loved* this one. (I emailed the author. That's my tell-tale sign of adoration.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books