Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 04:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

WAR AND PEACE
Tolstoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default An ethical pirate

Autonomous / Annalee Newitz, 1969-, c2017, Tom Doherty Associates, SF NEWI.

Subjects
• Drugs -- Side effects -- Fiction.
• Drugs -- Fiction.
• Robots -- Fiction.
• Scientists -- Fiction.
• Smugglers -- Fiction.

Notes
• "A Tom Doherty Associates book."

Summary
• Earth, 2144. Jack is an anti-patent scientist turned drug pirate, traversing the world in a submarine as a pharmaceutical Robin Hood, fabricating cheap scrips for poor people who can't otherwise afford them. But her latest drug hack has left a trail of lethal overdoses as people become addicted to their work, doing repetitive tasks until they become unsafe or insane. Hot on her trail, an unlikely pair: Eliasz, a brooding military agent, and his robotic partner, Paladin. As they race to stop information about the sinister origins of Jack's drug from getting out, they begin to form an uncommonly close bond that neither of them fully understand. And underlying it all is one fundamental question: Is freedom possible in a culture where everything, even people, can be owned?

Length
• 301 pages ;

Newitz breaks into SF – a rocketing tale of the near future, when everything can be property. Lots of cutting-edge tech, mecha, gene editing, big pharma. A splendid writer, often on tech issues in the nonfiction world. A worthy introduction to fiction. Some sex, drugs (a lot of discussion), a little rock 'n' roll.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Company towns are slippery all around

Company town / Madeline Ashby, c2016, Tom Doherty Associates, SF ASHB.

Subjects
• Acadians -- Fiction.
• Bioengineering -- Moral and ethical aspects -- Fiction.
• Family corporations -- Maritime Provinces -- Fiction.
• Offshore oil industry -- Maritime Provinces -- Fiction.
• Energy industries -- Technological innovations -- Fiction.
• Genetic engineering -- Fiction.
• Imaginary places -- Fiction.
• Serial murders -- Fiction.

Length
• 285 pages;

An unmodified human with a Korean background, an ugly duckling scraping by in a dying company town (an oil boomtown, @ that) awash in cutting-edge tech & human mods & the usual boomtown excesses. A sweeping story, a noir arc, one person carrying on for the honor of the clan? To preserve herself? To prove everyone else wrong? Lots of threads to follow, an engrossing story.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 PM

55 posts, read 35,199 times
I've been wanting to read Memoirs of a Geisha for quite some time! I think I'm going to bump it up on my TBR list. Currently I'm reading Great Expectations and a few other books that have been assigned (Making a Poem, North, etc.). If only we never had to sleep ... the amount of reading that could take place

Old 12-10-2017, 12:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I finished The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard. I was (as a review on the cover stated) "pinned to the page". I love her writing.

However, after I finished, I read some reviews on Goodreads and Amazon that poked sooooo many holes in the story itself, complained about the "secret' that wasn't so secret, pointed out historical inaccuracies and commented on unrealistic characters that I sort of felt like I was suckered into a not-so-great story by a very great writer. That isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world though!

Next up - The Best of Us (thanks for the recommendation Dawn et al)

Old 12-10-2017, 12:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Just finished reading The Circle.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:45 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
I feel like that too...so many hours that could be reading time...hate to turn out the light.

Memoirs is awesome, glad it's on your list!

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woollysocks View Post
I've been wanting to read Memoirs of a Geisha for quite some time! I think I'm going to bump it up on my TBR list. Currently I'm reading Great Expectations and a few other books that have been assigned (Making a Poem, North, etc.). If only we never had to sleep ... the amount of reading that could take place

Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woollysocks View Post

LOVED Memoirs of a Geisha..

Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,774 times
Just about to finish 'Brighton Rock' by Graham Greene. Why have I never read this before? It's a terrific read, about 1930s gang rivalry and one of the nastiest characters I've ever come across, 17 year-old Pinkie, who takes over a Brighton gang and thinks that murdering one person after another is the solution to all his problems. A chilling story of an immature sadist.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
I just finished the novel "Pachinko" by Min Jin Lee. I enjoyed it. Basically it is the five generation saga of a Korean family in Korea and then in Japan. For those readers who enjoy learning about cultures this is the book to learn about Koreans and the treatment they received at the hands of Japan.

All my teachers in elementary school were Japanese. We were stationed on Oahu, Hawaii and it was not long after the end of WWII. I loved each and every one of them. I can't imagine the vetting they went through in the early 50s to be allowed to teach in a school on a US military base. Their accents were thick. We kids had no problem understanding them but our parents had a hard time understanding due to accents. I can still sing a couple of Christmas carols in Japanese and Hawaiian. I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but I can sing those songs.

This book does not attack the Japanese but instead it tells us the story of how a Korean family made its way to Japan and how the two cultures clashed. I recommend it. The editing is perfect. The author's writing style is excellent and enjoyable to read.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachinko-Nati...by+min+jin+lee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books