Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Just finished Small Great Things, and I both liked it, had my views changed on the subject in general, and disagreed with some. That's a decent accomplishment for a book.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Finding Grace by K. L Slater. Very good and held my interest until the end.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Fifty pages in and I'm enjoying it. In a strange kind of way it strikes me that America was both very different from today yet much the same back then. Of course I have to admit I'm probably predisposed to enjoying tales of road trips. Time and $$$ permitting I've long been of the opinion it's something everyone should have the pleasure of doing at least once in their life. I've been fortunate to make two laps of America on the ground, just an astoundingly beautiful and varied country. Now if I could only convince my old bones I should do it again, I seriously thought about driving to Reno from the east coast last year but finally came to the conclusion that along about Nebraska I'd probably start wondering why?
Oh, good! I'm almost finished it -- it's such an old-school sweet tale. You're so lucky to have done that trip. Twice! Also, good for you for knowing your limitations last year. Sometimes theory is wiser than putting it into practical play.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:55 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, good! I'm almost finished it -- it's such an old-school sweet tale. You're so lucky to have done that trip. Twice! Also, good for you for knowing your limitations last year. Sometimes theory is wiser than putting it into practical play.

I'm trying to work my way back to being old enough to know better but young enough(at least in thought) to do it anyway.

Last edited by burdell; 04-23-2019 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm trying to work my way back to being old enough to know better but young enough(at least in thought) to do it anyway.
Hahaha!!! Let me know when you've cracked the code. And what the code is.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
I've read three books in Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series and have started on the 4th. https://www.goodreads.com/series/40769-harry-bosch

It's an excellent police/mystery series centering around a police officer in LA.

The series on Amazon Prime is good too if anyone is looking for something to watch.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I've read three books in Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series and have started on the 4th. https://www.goodreads.com/series/40769-harry-bosch

It's an excellent police/mystery series centering around a police officer in LA.

The series on Amazon Prime is good too if anyone is looking for something to watch.
I watched a few episodes of it several years ago. The dialogue was EXCELLENT. (I wish that I'd continued but I'm just not a TV watcher. As to the book series, I'm not a series reader. It seems that I have a problem with commitment. )

Old 04-23-2019, 04:05 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post

I've read every book of Connelly's, even all the Bosch series. My favorite mystery/crime writer....always waiting for the next one.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I thought someone on here had recommended The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg. But I can't find it when I look through this thread.

I'm halfway through and OH MY GOSH!! It's a very elderly woman who has a red address book she was given as a teenager. Her great niece sees it and asks her to write to her about who the people are in the address book, many of whom have "dead" written by their names. So the chapter titles are names of people.

Fabulous.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha!!! Let me know when you've cracked the code. And what the code is.

For me at least I think the code is in my user title: Never lose your sense of wonder..........or wander

I've watched friends' young grandchildren and what seems their continual fascination with the world and all the new things they see/do everyday. I think curiosity keeps us involved in the world and see the desire to learn new things, see what's around the corner or on the other side of the hill as good things.

And I try to laugh and to listen to some good music everyday!

And to follow the sage advice of one of my favorite philosophers, Yogi Berra: It ain't over 'til it's over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books