Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 09:15 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times

Advertisements

I finished this book today at the doctor's office:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 11:34 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times
Bibliotherapy!!! I love books that provide excellent advice in a laconic fashion.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:46 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
The Portland 2020 Riots. (Tommy Clark)

Lately I was thinking about how uniquely intense and mismanaged Portland's Antifa riots seemed to be.. As other cities got their 2020 riots under control, or rioters lost steam, Portlandia's continued for months. While trying to find some insight online, I saw this title.
It's a brief, firsthand account from a Portland cop, who actually ended up in the news after an altercation with a protestor. Decent read so far.. I'm gonna try and share some of his experience in the Portland forum, if the subject of the riots comes back up..

Old 10-21-2022, 09:00 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Back to nonfiction...Picked up It Could Happen Here: Why America Is Tipping from Hate to the Unthinkable And How We Can Stop It by Jonathan Greenblatt at a Friends of the Library book sale. After that, I have an illustrated version of Canterbury Tales, which I haven't read since high school, but I couldn't resist.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Not among my usual types of books but have been going through the Craig Johnson series featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire which I understand was made into a TV series?
I'm only on the 6th book but wonder how many parts of his body will remain functional if the series continues in the same way

Old 10-22-2022, 07:15 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Go West, young woman ...

"This book has a miraculous quality.... As a memoir this is hard to put down; if you are seeking a better American future you should pick it up."--Timothy Snyder, New York Times best-selling author of On Tyranny

INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER ^ A celebrated foreign policy expert and key impeachment witness reveals how declining opportunity has set America on the grim path of modern (read more)

Shelf Location
Collection----------------Shelf Location
Adult Nonfiction---------339.22 HILL

Title
There is nothing for you here : finding opportunity in the twenty-first century / Fiona Hill 1965- , c2021, Mariner Books.

Subjects
Hill, Fiona, -- 1965-
Women public officers -- United States -- Biography.
Opportunity -- Economic aspects -- United States -- 21st century.
Opportunity -- Social aspects -- United States -- 21st century.
Political culture -- United States -- 21st century.
United States -- Politics and government -- 2017-2021.
United States -- Economic conditions -- 21st century.
United States -- Social conditions -- 21st century.

Summary
Foreign policy expert and key impeachment witness Fiona Hill reveals how declining opportunity has set America on the grim path of modern Russia--and shows how we can return hope to our forgotten places. In this deeply personal account, she shares what she has learned, and explains that only by expanding opportunity can we save our democracy.

Length - viii, 422 pages ; chapter notes, index

Brilliant writing on rising through education, when it was more possible in UK & the US. Through grit, hard work & talent, Hill rose far beyond what was expected of her, by her society. She argues that we - the West & Russia - need to make higher education a priority & more accessible for anyone who wants to rise, & help rebuild cohesive societies.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:57 AM

So a thread in another part of the forum about banned books in Michigan inspired me to detour from my regularly scheduled reading last night. Downloaded Eleanor & Park, which has been challenged in the latest library uproar, this time in Dearborn. I remember my now adult daughter reading it as a teenager, but I never picked it up myself. It's truly wonderful, and I wish I had read it sooner. Tender and touching, it takes me back to the '80s. I read some portions aloud to my husband last night, and he loved it, too. It will probably end up on my list of favorite young adult novels.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:23 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Back to nonfiction...Picked up It Could Happen Here: Why America Is Tipping from Hate to the Unthinkable And How We Can Stop It by Jonathan Greenblatt at a Friends of the Library book sale. After that, I have an illustrated version of Canterbury Tales, which I haven't read since high school, but I couldn't resist.
Thanks, I ordered this for my dad a couple days ago and had it sent to him. It looks really good. He usually passes his books on to me when he's done.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thanks, I ordered this for my dad a couple days ago and had it sent to him. It looks really good. He usually passes his books on to me when he's done.
I took a detour to read a book on the latest challenge list in Michigan as detailed in a previous post, but I'll get back to Greenblatt's book shortly. I was very intrigued by the introduction when I picked it up at the Friends of the Library sale. Nice of you to think of your dad that way. My husband and FIL pass books back and forth, too, and I love the way it keeps them connected.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:12 PM

137 posts, read 16,725 times
The Bromance Novels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books