Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I loved American Rust. I'm just starting And the Mountains Echoed.
I just started Mountains Echoed, it's true, but it's so slow and boring, it's hard for me to read . It's hard for me to even pick it up and start reading it. Did anyone else find it that way, and if so, can you tell me when it starts getting better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 AM

563 posts, read 1,269,829 times
In the Garden of Beasts

Old 07-11-2013, 01:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,604 times
How to be happy
How to live without fear and worry
Essentials of buddhism
Ayurvedics of beauty

these are the books I am reading and finished except the fourth one.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just finished Book 3, A Storm of Swords and am ready to start Book 4, A Feast for Crows. So far Book 3 is my favorite. Many readers have commented Book 4 is their least favorite because 1/4 of the book focuses on one main character. Fantasy is not my favorite genre, but the GOT series is addictive.

I'm not usually a fantasy person either, but I have LOTR in my book pile as well. Maybe after SoIaF. I've had a love/hate relationship so far while reading A Game of Thrones. It is SO slow going a lot of the time, but I really want to know what happens. So far A Clash of Kings is moving along nicely.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
In the Garden of Beasts
How is that book? I've been planning to read it forever, am totally into German history.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
In the Garden of Beasts
Great book. I couldn't put it down.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times
Love My Rifle More Than You: Young and Female in the U.S. Army by Kayla Williams

I got it from the "Free Books" section at the Maxwell Air Force Base library in Montgomery, AL; I love libraries that have "Free Books" sections because you can actually find some pretty good books there even though the books are usually 5 – 10 years old. (When I'm finished reading the books I always donate them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.)

I'd definitely give this book 4 out of 5 stars. If you've never been in the military, it may be a tad hard to follow; however, if you're a woman with a lot of male friends, a lot of what she says may sound familiar – some of it a little too familiar, especially when she discusses the guys who tried to cross the friendship line.

The book is brutally honest and somewhat graphic when describing some of the "shenanigans" that go on between military men and military women when they're both deployed overseas away from their husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, significant others, etc.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and learned two new dirty/inappropriate/sexist jokes along the way, neither of which can be repeated in this PG-13 forum .

Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
In the Garden of Beasts
Great Book!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Have we talked about "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave? A very beautifully written story about a young Nigerian girl and an Englishwoman whose lives connect in Nigeria and then again in England. Love it!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:48 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times
Death and Dying in Central Appalachia by James Crissman who is a professor of sociology. The book talks about how people handled the whole dying process back then compared to now. I know it sounds macabre lol, but it's actually a very interesting book. I'm really into Appalachian culture type of books because I love the region. I have traveled through the mountains of Eastern Kentucky many times and remembered seeing family graveyards in people's backyards and was fascinated by the practice. So, I went searching for a book at my local library on the customs of the dying process in the Appalachian region and found this jewel of a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books