Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 05:50 AM
Status: "I have read 25 books this year!!!" (set 18 hours ago)

448 posts, read 196,272 times

Advertisements

What pulled me was the title. I haven't read the prequel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 07:22 AM
Status: "I have read 25 books this year!!!" (set 18 hours ago)

448 posts, read 196,272 times
I changed my mind. Now I am reading:

Old 04-07-2021, 06:37 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Just finished "Valentine" by Elizabeth Wetmore https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52377380-valentine

Felt middle of the road to me, I'm giving it 3 stars.

I also started "American Dirt" by Jeanine Cummins, but abandoned it at the half way mark.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:35 PM

3,832 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
I also started "American Dirt" by Jeanine Cummins, but abandoned it at the half way mark.
Curious why you abandoned "American Dirt"? I've heard good and bad about the book.

I just started Sunflower Sisters by Martha Hall Kelly.

"Inspired by true accounts, Sunflower Sisters provides a vivid, detailed look at the Civil War experience, from the barbaric and inhumane plantations, to a war-torn New York City, to the horrors of the battlefield. It’s a sweeping story of women caught in a country on the brink of collapse, in a society grappling with nationalism and unthinkable racial cruelty, a story still so relevant today."

I don't think the narrative ' a story still so relevant today' is a fair comparison. I'm only a few chapters in and the whippings and cruelty depicted is not acceptable towards anybody today.

Not sure how I feel about the book so far.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...ha-hall-kelly/

Old 04-07-2021, 06:09 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Curious why you abandoned "American Dirt"? I've heard good and bad about the book.
A thread here about the book. (I haven't read it.): https://www.city-data.com/forum/book...ican-dirt.html

Old 04-08-2021, 05:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
The Flicker of Old Dreams by Susan Henderson was disappointing. I still don't know why I keep reading some books. It's about a rundown small town in the middle of nowhere where people are unhappy but are too lethargic to leave.

Next on was After the End by Amy Plum. The beginning started well, even though it's a YA book. But the book ended in the middle of the story. Not a nice "wow, where's the next book in this series" ending but an abrupt ending as if the page count was achieved.

I started Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon last weekend. I had to stop myself before finishing it too quickly since I have a reading buddy for this book. Heart wrenching, butterflies in my stomach. I guess I'm 17 again when I read this book I do hope it ends as well as it is going!

I also began A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor about the flower selling girls of late 19th century London which is quite good so far.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:10 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Turned into a great read. Another non-fiction writer to add to my list. Learned about the origins of the geology that caused the eruption, and the man whose theories were discounted and years after his death, they turned out to be true. One of many facts and personalities throughout this amazing story that add to it's readability.

I initially started reading the kindle ebook, but on a whim I got the hardcover and found the kindle was severely shortchanging the reader on illustrations; maps, diagrams, drawings - so I finished the last 2/3 with an old fashioned book.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post

I just started Sunflower Sisters by Martha Hall Kelly.

"Inspired by true accounts, Sunflower Sisters provides a vivid, detailed look at the Civil War experience, from the barbaric and inhumane plantations, to a war-torn New York City, to the horrors of the battlefield. It’s a sweeping story of women caught in a country on the brink of collapse, in a society grappling with nationalism and unthinkable racial cruelty, a story still so relevant today."

I don't think the narrative ' a story still so relevant today' is a fair comparison. I'm only a few chapters in and the whippings and cruelty depicted is not acceptable towards anybody today.

Not sure how I feel about the book so far.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...ha-hall-kelly/
I felt it was a very tedious read and I just kind of stalled out at about the half way point. I really didn't want to waste my time slugging through it to the end and I wasn't very impressed with the writing.

For me, I'm almost always drawn in more by the writing, than the actual story...

Thanks for posting that review CA4Now, i had never seen it, and it was interesting to read. I was thinking it was "just me" not being impressed by the book!

Old 04-08-2021, 06:26 AM

Just finished "This is Where I Leave You" by Jonathan Tropper https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ave-you?page=2

This was a 3.5 star read for me.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:46 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
The Flicker of Old Dreams by Susan Henderson was disappointing. I still don't know why I keep reading some books. It's about a rundown small town in the middle of nowhere where people are unhappy but are too lethargic to le
I also began A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor about the flower selling girls of late 19th century London which is quite good so far.

I have had Memory of Violets on my TBR list for a long time and this is a good reminder to maybe look into it!
I think it was mentioned here (several) years ago.

I just finished Miss Benson's Beetle by Rachel Joyce and it was very different. Some of the plot was a bit much, but overall the writing is great and the characters are so well developed.Just take a leap of accepting some of the story and it works out beautifully.

Going to try Universe of Two next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books