Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,288,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Racism isn't limited to white people. Blacks are some of the most racist people I know.
Yes blacks can be racist. The difference is that when black folks are racist it results in other peoples feelings getting hurt. When white folks are racist it often results in denying people employment, housing, medical care, legal rights, etc...Minor difference, right?

Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,321,722 times
Medical care???

Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yes blacks can be racist. The difference is that when black folks are racist it results in other peoples feelings getting hurt. When white folks are racist it often results in denying people employment, housing, medical care, legal rights, etc...Minor difference, right?
Maybe blacks should stop being such helpless victims. I know some older Chinese, Korean and Indian immigrants, and they were made fun of and shunned for their poor English and criticized for their smelly ethnic foods. And instead of playing the race card and complaining to state agencies, they worked two jobs and pooled their family resources to buy real estate. And they would rent their apartments to others of their same culture. At work, some still remember how they were shunned 15 years ago when they first started their jobs, but they didn't let it get to them, they worked hard and today they are respected workers.

I just don't think that blacks are dealing with their underdog situation at all well. Their idea of fighting for their rights are holding rallies that many times turn into smash and grab looting of innocent businesses in their neighborhoods. But the much better way would be to channel their anger and frustration into making their children study hard at school. Black children need tiger parents. No amount of public money can replace their culture's poor parenting skills.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:52 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,734 times
Quote:
I just don't think that blacks are dealing with their underdog situation at all well.
Good thing you're here to offer them such constructive advice. I'm sure they appreciate it.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
racists are people that are polar bear hunted or mugging targets of boko haram types. they are white people that can run fast.
boston has plenty of them. im not a racist but je suis charlie et jessica chambers.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:34 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,695 times
Hey Snow White, racism is not about interpersonal slights.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Medical care???
Look up the racial disparities in health outcomes and treatment. It is an eye opening study.

I will say this, Massachusetts does actually quite well in this regard, so it is something Boston should be proud of. Much of that due to Health reform.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Maybe blacks should stop being such helpless victims. I know some older Chinese, Korean and Indian immigrants, and they were made fun of and shunned for their poor English and criticized for their smelly ethnic foods. And instead of playing the race card and complaining to state agencies, they worked two jobs and pooled their family resources to buy real estate. And they would rent their apartments to others of their same culture. At work, some still remember how they were shunned 15 years ago when they first started their jobs, but they didn't let it get to them, they worked hard and today they are respected workers.

I just don't think that blacks are dealing with their underdog situation at all well. Their idea of fighting for their rights are holding rallies that many times turn into smash and grab looting of innocent businesses in their neighborhoods. But the much better way would be to channel their anger and frustration into making their children study hard at school. Black children need tiger parents. No amount of public money can replace their culture's poor parenting skills.
There is a difference between the immigrant experience and the african american experience. We need to recognize that before even speaking about this topic. I am an immigrant black man myself and recognize that as an immigrant i had certain advantages. African immigrants are now viewed as the model immigrant group and the highest educated group in the nation.

We need to examine the reasons for that, much of it is hard work and stable parenting, but it would would be ignorant to ignore the direct effect institutionalized racism has had on the african american family in the US.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Racism from blacks is a matter of the victim lashing out after centuries of violent injustice whereas white racism is the institutional kind that you mostly don't notice unless you're on the receiving end. My feeling is, things get better every year but there's still a long way to go.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:44 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,549 times
I went to school, lived, and worked in boston for 7 years. Aside from
Black immigrants, I don't think I interacted with a single black person that was on the same socioeconomic level as I. The caveat being I majored in engineering and work in construction so I have not interacted with many women either ( half kidding). I spent some time in dc on assignment and interacted with more blacks professionals than I did in 7 years in boston. Now I live in the ex burbs and don't see any black people ever, regardless of class.

But is this racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston