Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Geez, what's wrong w all U people? Can't you see Goyguy is just melodramatizing by using the term "ethnic cleansing"?

And why is he doing it? I pose that Q to you all. Bet most of you won't get the right answer. Here's a giveaway clue -
My guess is that he's trying to be provocative. From the little we can glean from his posts here he's smart enough to know that he's using a loaded phrase. He certainly not the first to use the phrase in this context (for instance the book The Slaughter of Cities: Urban Renewal as Ethnic Cleansing), but for the most part those that do are trying to get a response.

I'm not sure that I agree with his thesis that the Olympics are a grand scheme to remove certain populations from Boston. I can't argue that it wouldn't be a likely outcome, though. I suspect such upheaval could be in the future no matter what and the Olympics would only just speed things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 04:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
And why is he doing it?
To make his concern seem more important than it really is on its own merits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I suspect such upheaval could be in the future no matter what and the Olympics would only just speed things up.
The only constant is change.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:13 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Southie hasn't faired much better.
That and someone told me Southie no longer has any authentic Irish restaurants either where you can get old fashioned shepherd's pie, fish n chips, and strong workman's tea, etc. Unless someone else can tell me this isn't true.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:59 AM

374 posts, read 655,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The Fairmount line is a joke. Unless they plan on running it with subway frequency with subway fares it will be nothing more than a costly waste of resources.
At least $200 Million for DMU units. What happens when one set breaks? They will not be able to maintain the limited frequency.

The elimination of the weekend service on the Needham line is what actually caused this DMU project to move forward. The restoration of the weekend service had to be balanced by service in a distressed area in order to secure federal funding.

Bill

Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Whereabouts on the SS do you think they would flee? my wife and I make six figures combined and can barely afford it..
anywhere along route 24 route 28 (an extension of Blue Hill Avenue) and 138 where theyve already been pushing the minorities, especially blacks. Stooughton, Milton, Holbrook, Canton, Avon, Randolph, Quincy, Braintree, Brockton, Bridgewater, Norwood, Norfolk. The towns where the housing prices remain stable and somewhat reasonable and have 40b housing, an old housing stock, limited bus service, limited connection to downtown boston, and a lack of biotech firms. ..If youve gone to any retail or entertainment areas in this region you will notice there are already many african americans in comparison to other parts of suburban boston.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:29 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
anywhere along route 24 route 28 (an extension of Blue Hill Avenue) and 138 where theyve already been pushing the minorities, especially blacks. Stooughton, Milton, Holbrook, Canton, Avon, Randolph, Quincy, Braintree, Brockton, Bridgewater, Norwood, Norfolk. The towns where the housing prices remain stable and somewhat reasonable and have 40b housing, an old housing stock, limited bus service, limited connection to downtown boston, and a lack of biotech firms. ..If youve gone to any retail or entertainment areas in this region you will notice there are already many african americans in comparison to other parts of suburban boston.
Even in those towns prices have gone up a lot (except Brockton which is a special case).

Old 07-22-2015, 08:03 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lansdowne??? There is no difference between Cask n Flagon, Game on, Bill's Bar, Lansdowne Pub, etc. Sports bar, sports bar, sports bar, tvs tvs tvs tvs.... 90% of all Boston bars are just so similar, it's hardly worth going anywhere far from where you live, since they are more or less the same. Other cities have a much larger variety of different kinds of bars is all I'm saying. Boston's cost of renting a space prohibits people with different concepts from taking a risk, thus, the tried and true and proven way usually triumphs here. Granted, things are a bit better in Cambridge and Somerville.

Agreed, tv's everywhere and fake gastropub and farm-to-table food in most of these places. I will go to some so called sophisticated restaurant downtown or in the burbs and there will be tvs and more tvs. Even my grocery store Market Basket has huge flat screen tvs blaring soap operas and CNN in areas of the store.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

Part of the reason I believe is liquor licenses are so expensive and so hard to come by, you need serious $ and political ties to get your hands on one.
Liquor licenses and the cost of leasing the newly renovated buildings drives out independent business owners.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Compare the South End of the '70s to the Park Slope North it is today, then come back and talk to me about ethnic cleansing in Boston with "establishment" power behind it. And spare me the right-wing condescension of "maybe this will motivate 'those people' [quotes added] to 'better themselves.'"

For that matter, pay a visit to my own community (dating back to 1988, since the question is bound to be asked in a baiting sort of way.) These days Central Square is besieged by single-story commercial blocks falling in favor of pharmaceutical R & D office towers and generic high-rises blatantly marketed to the wealthy and transient. My immediate neighborhood (Riverside, aka The Coast) is experiencing property-value hikes beyond all reason and the destabilization which inevitably follows right behind. I deliberately sought out an area with rich human diversity in which to live - a suburban upbringing can do that to a person. Now an integral part of what makes The Coast special is being decimated. Who, after all, can blame a Barbadian immigrant's descendants who have owned the same house for 90 years when a speculator offers them an outlandish price to leave, and they take the money and run? I didn't sign on for living someplace where I now could never afford to move into, where the sweaty aftermath of a garage-band marathon leads to not a nasty pizza slice but...sustainably grown radish-top salad in a laboratory atmosphere? WTF!!! Hipsters and English-challenged international students, bonded through smartphone slavery and social ineptitude, are no match for what their money is pushing out. Watching helplessly as one's own neighborhood descends from spicy to bland is not exactly the best feeling in the world. And that's what is clearly in store for the Boston communities that the Olympics-defending reality deniers are saying is transpiring on its own anyway. Funny, last I checked there still wasn't a single yoga studio or laughably pretentious "coffee shop" or tricked-out-bicycle store anywhere on Humboldt Ave to be found.

My "people" are WASP, I'm a first-generation Ohioan by birth, and my family's roots on both sides run deep in the Carolinas. So I'm not clear on just where exactly it was "my people" were gentrified away from or "those-people"-paranoia frightened away from or whatever that epic-fail over-reach was trying to get at. Myopia on the primary issue at hand isn't exactly remedied by stating the obvious. You don't know me.
Transplants have a clearer view of the big picture than do natives bound to their turf and their narrow migration patterns. Try to appreciate the perspective one of us is trying to bring to the table in the face of frantic denial.

This is one of those times where trying to engage in a battle of wits with unarmed people is anything but fun. It's downright scary.

NOlympics!
I was in Kendall yesterday. Everyone walking around looked like zombies. All plugged into their devices with no expression, pale and anemic skin that knows no sun.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I was in Kendall yesterday. Everyone walking around looked like zombies. All plugged into their devices with no expression, pale and anemic skin that knows no sun.
Well, at least they are not the zombies of the drugged out kind....count your blessing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston