Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 04:02 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times

Advertisements

I have a love/hate relationship with all the new development. I see it as a plus in areas like Kendall and the far end of the Seaport district where it has brought vibrancy to these areas that were once sterile wastelands of laboratories and warehouses. Too many artists displaced from the Seaport District though. (Pox on the developers for that.)

I'm displeased that so many of our town centers are becoming everytown USA. The developers come in and promise the good townspeople a beautiful vibrant town center where small businesses thrive on Main Street USA. Then the bulldozers knock down existing buildings. New shopping areas come in, but the independent business owner can't afford the rent. Then comes more bank branches, phone stores and chain restaurants. The green spaces, café tables and benches never materialize and what the people get is a really big parking lot instead.

Too bad we can't have the Mom and Pops and ethnic stores and new trendy independent businesses side-by-side in more of our towns. Sigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:09 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with all the new development. I see it as a plus in areas like Kendall and the far end of the Seaport district where it has brought vibrancy to these areas that were once sterile wastelands of laboratories and warehouses. Too many artists displaced from the Seaport District though. (Pox on the developers for that.)

I'm displeased that so many of our town centers are becoming everytown USA. The developers come in and promise the good townspeople a beautiful vibrant town center where small businesses thrive on Main Street USA. Then the bulldozers knock down existing buildings. New shopping areas come in, but the independent business owner can't afford the rent. Then comes more bank branches, phone stores and chain restaurants. The green spaces, café tables and benches never materialize and what the people get is a really big parking lot instead.

Too bad we can't have the Mom and Pops and ethnic stores and new trendy independent businesses side-by-side in more of our towns. Sigh!
I like when they build new massive apartment buildings, because there is a huge housing shortage. Every little bit helps. But yeah, unfortunately, a lot of Boston does seem like it could be anywhere. The Seaport is the most sterile, unwelcoming place I've been recently. Also, places like Fenway too are starting to feel pretty much exactly the same as other neighborhoods I've been to in New York, DC, Philly, etc. Hardly discernible anymore.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:56 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Boston has a great bar scene, probably the best sports scene in the country if not the world and of course a large amount of universities. But at the end of the day you can watch sports at any bar on the planet (HDTV helped alot), there's bars all over the place and if you already graduated why stick around?

We're already seeing businesses moving out of Boston due to the costs alone

Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 AM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
It's socio-economic cleansing, not ethnic cleansing, and unfortunately it's just a part of everyday life in any capitalist society - those with money will always get what they want.
I agree! Ethnic cleansing is what Slobodan Milosevic did in Bosnia or what the Hutus did to the Tutsi in Rwanda. If anything the 2024 Olympics will bring accelerated gentrification to Boston's last inexpensive neighborhoods. To liken this gentrification to ethnic cleansing (where some people were murdered) is rather insensitive.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:14 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
Geez, what's wrong w all U people? Can't you see Goyguy is just melodramatizing by using the term "ethnic cleansing"?

And why is he doing it? I pose that Q to you all. Bet most of you won't get the right answer. Here's a giveaway clue -

Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Boston has a great bar scene, probably the best sports scene in the country if not the world and of course a large amount of universities. But at the end of the day you can watch sports at any bar on the planet (HDTV helped alot), there's bars all over the place and if you already graduated why stick around?

We're already seeing businesses moving out of Boston due to the costs alone
If you've been to one bar in this city, you've been to basically all of them.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If you've been to one bar in this city, you've been to basically all of them.
Can't say I agree. That's not even true on Landsdowne St alone. Or at least it wasn't.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Can't say I agree. That's not even true on Landsdowne St alone. Or at least it wasn't.
Lansdowne??? There is no difference between Cask n Flagon, Game on, Bill's Bar, Lansdowne Pub, etc. Sports bar, sports bar, sports bar, tvs tvs tvs tvs.... 90% of all Boston bars are just so similar, it's hardly worth going anywhere far from where you live, since they are more or less the same. Other cities have a much larger variety of different kinds of bars is all I'm saying. Boston's cost of renting a space prohibits people with different concepts from taking a risk, thus, the tried and true and proven way usually triumphs here. Granted, things are a bit better in Cambridge and Somerville.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lansdowne??? There is no difference between Cask n Flagon, Game on, Bill's Bar, Lansdowne Pub, etc. Sports bar, sports bar, sports bar, tvs tvs tvs tvs.... 90% of all Boston bars are just so similar, it's hardly worth going anywhere far from where you live, since they are more or less the same. Other cities have a much larger variety of different kinds of bars is all I'm saying. Boston's cost of renting a space prohibits people with different concepts from taking a risk, thus, the tried and true and proven way usually triumphs here. Granted, things are a bit better in Cambridge and Somerville.
Well I guess my reference is a bit dated. I was thinking Avalon is quite different from Axis or Bill's or Cask - at one time there was even a bar owned by Aerosmith. Then the Rat was around the corner.

But still - Green Dragon, Town Crier - pieces of history.
Southie: World of its own.
How bout Slades or Wally's - Not exactly a typical Cheers scene

But I do agree a lot of gentrification is kinda sterilizing the whole town. Believe me, it could be worse. We literally have chain bars here in Dallas. At least there is SOME originality in BOS.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Well I guess my reference is a bit dated. I was thinking Avalon is quite different from Axis or Bill's or Cask - at one time there was even a bar owned by Aerosmith. Then the Rat was around the corner.

But still - Green Dragon, Town Crier - pieces of history.
Southie: World of its own.
How bout Slades or Wally's - Not exactly a typical Cheers scene

But I do agree a lot of gentrification is kinda sterilizing the whole town. Believe me, it could be worse. We literally have chain bars here in Dallas. At least there is SOME originality in BOS.
Sadly, bjimmy24 has a point. Although it could be worse.

Kenmore Sq/Lansdowne is nothing like it was 20 years ago. I used to live over there (figuratively speaking) and now I never set foot on Lansdowne. Southie hasn't faired much better. Seems like every year we loose another neighborhood watering hole. Only to be replaced by corporate owned clone.

Part of the reason I believe is liquor licenses are so expensive and so hard to come by, you need serious $ and political ties to get your hands on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston