Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:05 PM

221 posts, read 346,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Burlington is a tiny city, really a big town. Congested and crowded isn't something that comes to mind.
How much time a week do you spend in Burlington? Trust me, I spend ALOT. Possibly 40 DAYLIGHT hours or so. My wife and I also come from cities that are more than 10X bigger than burlington, population wise, so I'm not comparing it to that.

Still, for Vermont, and even not just for Vermont, Burlington IS considered very congested, crowded, and with horrid traffic at times. Simple fact. Getting around Burlington can be very frustrating at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
How much time a week do you spend in Burlington? Trust me, I spend ALOT. Possibly 40 DAYLIGHT hours or so. My wife and I also come from cities that are more than 10X bigger than burlington, population wise, so I'm not comparing it to that.

Still, for Vermont, and even not just for Vermont, Burlington IS considered very congested, crowded, and with horrid traffic at times. Simple fact. Getting around Burlington can be very frustrating at times.
168 hrs/wk when I lived there

Even the worst back ups on Main back to South Burlington can't really be considered bad traffic in the grand scheme.

Last edited by timberline742; 03-13-2015 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 06:46 AM

167 posts, read 247,088 times
Now y'all don't argue about that, I'll let you know when I get there loll!

I lived and worked in Montreal, work currently in the French Quarter in New Orleans, seen many holiday seasons, Mardi Gras, etc, so I know crowded too, and I'm not a fan. But I've never had a car so I don't know all the inconveniences of having one in a "congested city/town". Anyway, we'll see! I'll know Tuesday if I get the stay-at-home job so that will definitely change things!!!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
168 hrs/wk when I lived there

Even the worst back ups on Main back to South Burlington can't really be considered bad traffic in the grand scheme.

There aren't 168 DAYLIGHT hours in a week. The point was to count the time you actually spend doing, or trying to do something in this city(actually here right now, again, on lower main), not the time you sleep. Anyway, if there is one road worse than main st it's shelburne rd around 5pm. Talk about a nightmare.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
There aren't 168 DAYLIGHT hours in a week. The point was to count the time you actually spend doing, or trying to do something in this city(actually here right now, again, on lower main), not the time you sleep. Anyway, if there is one road worse than main st it's shelburne rd around 5pm. Talk about a nightmare.

You didn't ask how many daylight hours I spent there. I answered your question as asked.

Quote:
How much time a week do you spend in Burlington?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
Now y'all don't argue about that, I'll let you know when I get there loll!

I lived and worked in Montreal, work currently in the French Quarter in New Orleans, seen many holiday seasons, Mardi Gras, etc, so I know crowded too, and I'm not a fan. But I've never had a car so I don't know all the inconveniences of having one in a "congested city/town". Anyway, we'll see! I'll know Tuesday if I get the stay-at-home job so that will definitely change things!!!
lol let me know what you think.

My wife is from Milwaukee, which is huge, and we've both spent signifcant amount of time in Chicago and Boston as well. I'm from Haifa which has more than 300,000 people in an area 30 times smaller than Chittenden county. Burlington is not as bad as those places. But it's bad IMHO.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 PM

Well I got the job So now we're actually looking at a 3 bedrooms... Or 2 with an extra small room for an office/music room. I'm excited about finally getting some real good money but worried about finding the right place... I see A LOT of interesting places up on craigslist, so many more than a couple of months ago, but know that they will go fast and I can't do anything about it until June. I COULD ask my parents to go house hunting for us but not sure I feel comfortable putting them in that position. Anyway, if y'all see anything interesting in the Burlington area... let me know I'll make you some awesome shrimp po-boys when we get there!!!! Oriz and Vermontr this is your chance haha!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 PM

Looking at a house in Waterbury... And I'm in love! Looking at the town on google (of course it looks life June on the pics lol) and it looks so nice!!! Any thoughts?
Anyway, waiting for the realtor to call me back with more infos, but I'm really excited! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's up for rent now... COULD rent for May... But not April...

Old 03-24-2015, 05:41 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I like Waterbury..lots of good restaurants there! Where is your job located? If Burlington area....the winter commute on 89 can be tough in the winter during bad weather. You certainly won't be alone on that commute...lots of people do it!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:15 AM

I'm one of them lol...I do I-89 towards sometimes waterbury/stowe, sometimes further towards montpelier/barre - probably 4-5 days a week, including winter, rain shine or snow. It's really not that bad just make sure you have good winter tires and you're not trying to be a hero(don't do 75 mph in a blizzard) and you're good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT