Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Yep, them good patriotic republican growers, kinda depend on it. Now, you say, "what about the Democratic growers?

I say, "find me one". Now remember the need for illegal labor in agriculture due to a lack of American Citizens wanting the jobs is, primarily in fresh produce, crops that cannot be machine harvested.

You will notice I do not comment on illegal labor in other uses, unlike some, I only comment on what I am knowledgable on.
There's no lack of American citizens who would work agricultural jobs .... IF the pay was a living wage, so they wouldn't have to sleep 5 to a room when they're not in a bunkhouse. Citizens also tend to expect benefits such as a bit of help on health and dental insurance etc. Not to mention safe working conditions.

Sure, slave labor and exploitation results in a low product cost, and that can help a company beat out the honest competition. But what if all factory farmers were forced to be honest about hiring illegals, or even hiring legal immigrants if there are citizens who want the job?
PERM Fake Job Ads defraud Americans to secure green cards fo - YouTube

One of the things I notice about ag jobs is that they're simply not often advertised in ordinary newspapers that people read. You'd think that if farmers want citizens to work, they would advertise in popular newspapers. What they actually do is simply rehire the Mexicans who worked there in the past. Very efficient, but maybe we need to be moving beyond efficiency to do what's right.

If we break our own laws for convenience, that breeds contempt of laws in general, and that will lead to an even faster breakdown of society. Aside from being just plain wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If we break our own laws for convenience, that breeds contempt of laws in general, and that will lead to an even faster breakdown of society. Aside from being just plain wrong.
In Blythe California: "You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows."

Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Yep ..... there are some dumb little ordinances, so the solution to that is to break any major law that is inconvenient, rather than to persuade the city council to strike the ordinance.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
I find it humorous when people (rightwingers) use the term Moonbeam.
Would you feel better about "Less is better" for your beloved Governor? If only Pat Brown was still alive...

Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
In Blythe California: "You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows."
No bull? Cali even has gay cattle?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 AM

Presumably the cows don't have to be having sex.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Would you feel better about "Less is better" for your beloved Governor? If only Pat Brown was still alive...
If you will allow me an editorial mark..... DMS

Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
If you will allow me an editorial mark..... DMS
Ok, you have me stumped: Dangling Modifier?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Doesn't Make Sense. I have no idea what point you were trying to make.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
You still don't get it, it has nothing to do with wanting illegal labor, that is nonsense and not something a rational human would think.
Good patriotic Republican growers made California dependent on illegal labor, that is a fact. Not a wish, not a belief.
There is not a grower in the state that would shed a tear if every illegal left tomorrow, as long as there is someone in the fields to do the work.
The poor slaves drive to the fields in Mini Vans, Suburbans, Pick up trucks, Ford Mustangs. They get a day off each week, poor things, they go to church, then to the park to barbecue, just like real people. They live in homes with large flat screen TeeVees. They watch soccer, and drink lite beer, just like real people.

You should do three things:
1. know your subject before you post.
2. Think about what you are going to post, post rational thought, not belief.
3. Don't post nonsense.
There is that word again, Republican. No ag guys are other than Republican huh. Geezuz. Let's take a poll on how many CD viewers think how most of your posts rank on the "rational" scale. I've never seen so many excuses why people need to "break the law".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California