Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Julian has a paper? Of course it is possible that if one corners, even accidentally a pig will react.

But, I see pigs frequently, I see rattlesnakes frequently, I see bears frequently, and see sign of lion, but, no forest creature has ever behaved aggressively toward me, nor anyone I know.

I know of a pig shooting, the guy used a .357, the bullets penetrated the pigs hide about 3/4 of an inch.

I think, carrying a pistolo for protection in wildland is completely unnecessary

I do carry a pistolo in wildland, but only to shoot my own stock if necessary. In 60 years of wandering in wildland, I have never felt the need to be armed aside from that one need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 05:34 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Julian has a paper? Of course it is possible that if one corners, even accidentally a pig will react.

But, I see pigs frequently, I see rattlesnakes frequently, I see bears frequently, and see sign of lion, but, no forest creature has ever behaved aggressively toward me, nor anyone I know.

I know of a pig shooting, the guy used a .357, the bullets penetrated the pigs hide about 3/4 of an inch. A .357 is more than adequate for a backup gun but I'd go a heavier mag to hunt wild hogs. Especially ones that have been caking themselves in mud.

I think, carrying a pistolo for protection in wildland is completely unnecessary

I do carry a pistolo in wildland, but only to shoot my own stock if necessary. In 60 years of wandering in wildland, I have never felt the need to be armed aside from that one need.
I smell flip flop just to argue. First you say you have never heard of a pig acting crazy then contradict yourself with the "Of course they will react". Which is it?
Even a .9mm will go further into grissle on a hogs back than 3/4 inch. A .357 is more than adequate for a backup gun but I'd go a heavier mag to hunt wild hogs. Especially ones that have been caking themselves in mud. Good for you if you feel like not carrying. I like the option of carrying. Now I'll be forced to carry a carbine. So be it. There are a few joggers and riders that I bet wish (if they were alive) they had the option of carrying. The woman being dragged off recently would have had time to shoot the cat that was dragging her if she was armed. Only some brave people seeing what was happening and tossing big rocks drove the cat off. Young or sick cats don't act like other cats.

I can carry on private property sure, it's public land I'd still like the option to. I'm not going to cheer lead even more of our rights being eroded like some of you.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I smell flip flop just to argue. First you say you have never heard of a pig acting crazy then contradict yourself with the "Of course they will react". Which is it?

Perhaps I would have met your approval if I had said, they may react, and no, I have never heard of a wild pig actually being aggressive. I see them frequently in the hills, they are far more concerned about going where they want to go than with me, or anyone else I have ever talked to.

Even a .9mm will go further into grissle [gristle] on a hogs back than 3/4 inch. A .357 is more than adequate for a backup gun but I'd go a heavier mag to hunt wild hogs. Especially ones that have been caking themselves in mud. Good for you if you feel like not carrying. I like the option of carrying. Now I'll be forced to carry a carbine. So be it. There are a few joggers and riders that I bet wish (if they were alive) they had the option of carrying. The woman being dragged off recently would have had time to shoot the cat that was dragging her if she was armed. Only some brave people seeing what was happening and tossing big rocks drove the cat off. Young or sick cats don't act like other cats.

Since I am not a woman jogger, I don't worry much about cats Cats are ambush hunters, generally you don't know you are got, till you are got. And again, in 60 years in the hills, I have never felt threatened by any animal. I saw my first cat when I was four years old, the cat walked right through camp while I sat at the table. There are only two animals in the lower 48 that typically go after people, Griz and Gators. We have precious few of those in California.

I can carry on private property sure, it's public land I'd still like the option to. I'm not going to cheer lead even more of our rights being eroded like some of you.

That was a right wing comment, not a logical comment. I have no interest in knowing what the gun laws are or are not, I will do as I please, as do millions of gun owners. Both my wife and I own a selection of firearms, but I don't make a fetish about guns as seems to be common among some, nor will I whine about laws I don't agree with.

I have also wandered through many of this planet's cities, usually in the rough port areas, and again, have never felt the need to carry a weapon. Personally, I think those who feel the need to carry a weapon as a matter of course are deeply insecure. They are, for most people a crutch for their sense of manliness.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Quote:
........ I do carry a pistolo in wildland, but only to shoot my own stock if necessary. In 60 years of wandering in wildland, I have never felt the need to be armed aside from that one need.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
I am sure you have a point, in there, somewhere,

Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The homeless people aren't the real danger, MT. If they were any good at crime, they'd have a decent home and plenty of toys.
I agree with this. My point with my example of the homeless is that there are fewer and fewer cops around and that is not going to change any time soon....so people should be aware that there's a real possibility that the cops may not be there in future situations where they'd normally have been present in the past.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,998 times

Boom .. roasted

Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Even a .9mm will go further into grissle [gristle] on a hogs back than 3/4 inch. A .357 is more than adequate for a backup gun but I'd go a heavier mag to hunt wild hogs. Especially ones that have been caking themselves in mud. Good for you if you feel like not carrying. I like the option of carrying. Now I'll be forced to carry a carbine. So be it. There are a few joggers and riders that I bet wish (if they were alive) they had the option of carrying. The woman being dragged off recently would have had time to shoot the cat that was dragging her if she was armed. Only some brave people seeing what was happening and tossing big rocks drove the cat off. Young or sick cats don't act like other cats.

Since I am not a woman jogger, I don't worry much about cats Cats are ambush hunters, generally you don't know you are got, till you are got. And again, in 60 years in the hills, I have never felt threatened by any animal. I saw my first cat when I was four years old, the cat walked right through camp while I sat at the table. There are only two animals in the lower 48 that typically go after people, Griz and Gators. We have precious few of those in California.

That was a right wing comment, not a logical comment. I have no interest in knowing what the gun laws are or are not, I will do as I please, as do millions of gun owners. Both my wife and I own a selection of firearms, but I don't make a fetish about guns as seems to be common among some, nor will I whine about laws I don't agree with.

I have also wandered through many of this planet's cities, usually in the rough port areas, and again, have never felt the need to carry a weapon. Personally, I think those who feel the need to carry a weapon as a matter of course are deeply insecure. They are, for most people a crutch for their sense of manliness.

I can only aspire to be as brave and mentally tough as you some day. Until then I'll hedge my bets and carry. By the way the guy that was killed before the woman was a fully grown man.

Please do tell how I can quit using my crutch oh chest beater. I'm not breaking any laws by carrying an empty carbine. It is my option. If I'm walking in at 3 am to a stand and come across a lion's kill he may move out he may not. Just because YOU have been lucky so far doesn't mean it can't happen to you. Drug traffickers are thick in these parts too .but your response will be to advise me to just stay out of the woods as you have repeatedly in the past. It's public land and I will do as I please but I want to hedge my bets.
I voted for Obama but not next go round. How you manage to inject partison garbage into every conversation is beyond me.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Perhaps it's the former cop in me but I tend to see things that raise my antennae that others who haven't worked the streets might miss. While in-service I never fired a gun but in qualification and drawing it was a very rare occurrence and only when absolutely necessary and prudent. Although I'm certified to "pack," I rarely do. On those very few occasions I exercise the option it all depends upon time and place and is merely a precaution. Chest-beating has no place in my decision. Protection does. One never knows! No different than home protection.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps it's the former cop in me but I tend to see things that raise my antennae that others who haven't worked the streets might miss. While in-service I never fired a gun but in qualification and drawing it was a very rare occurrence and only when absolutely necessary and prudent. Although I'm certified to "pack," I rarely do. On those very few occasions I exercise the option it all depends upon time and place and is merely a precaution. Chest-beating has no place in my decision. Protection does. One never knows! No different than home protection.
Better to have it and not need it then verse visa

I've been around guns all my life and I don't think twice about it until now when someone is trying to void me of that security. I was raised on a farm, carried for quite some time in my profession and as you, have never had to use it. There are times though that if I wasn't armed I would have felt pretty vulnerable.

I won't carry into a store but while I'm in the Desert and the border is in sight I will. If my big bad gun makes some scaredy cat tough No one in the Country even flinches when they see guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California