Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times

Advertisements

Just because most people go through life without ever having, needing or wanting to defend themselves is never a valid argument against prepared if you so choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
How anyone enjoys shooting and killing a beautiful creature is beyond me ... it's horrific.
So you are a pure(ethical) Vegan?

I guess you don't live in an area that has wildlife or you would understand the balance of nature requires predatory hunting.

I have no problem with YOUR hatred for guns, what I have a problem with is people like you that want to impose that belief on everyone else.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I think a lot of what is missing is gun safety classes... in second grade, we had a police officer come in and talk about being safe, strangers and gun safety... how a gun with the bullets out can still have one bullet to shoot, how any gun should be treated as a loaded gun and never pointing a gun or dropping one... doubt they do this anymore.
I repeat: Training and safety lectures are meaningless without self-control and good, common sense ... and, observing human history over the past 10,000 years or so, I'd say confidence in human self-control and good sense is misplaced.

That said, I do not say this in opposition to gun ownership -- including as a self-defense weapon, if you so choose ... I'm just sayin'. There is no simple "right" or "wrong" answer to this issue. Reality is: guns were invented ... they exist ... genie's outta the box ... ain't going back in ... now everybody's got to watch out for nuts and criminals -- and lapses of judgement, errors of assumptions, mistaken stimulus, and bad tempers. Was far less problem in the days of the long-bow ... even less in the days of the stone hammer. But, 'leave it to Beaver' to come up with 'New and Improved!' all the damn time.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
So you are a pure(ethical) Vegan?

I guess you don't live in an area that has wildlife or you would understand the balance of nature requires predatory hunting.

I have no problem with YOUR hatred for guns, what I have a problem with is people like you that want to impose that belief on everyone else.
Yes.
And even people who do eat meat are allowed to have an aversion to the experience of killing a creature ... despite the seeming hypocrisy.
We are complex beings and it is possible, if one isn't rigid in their thinking, to reconcile that fact that many people's bodies do need meat and, at the same time, many of those same people have love and empathy for an animal and do not want to directly partake in the killing process and can't relate to those who actually enjoy the act.
Yes i do live in areas with wildlife ... between the redwoods of coastal California and the mountains of Idaho, i live immersed in nature.
And like i said to another poster, even if there were no need for predatory hunting (to mitigate the imbalance that humans created in the first place), you who love hunting would still be hunting.
It's the enjoyment of the act of killing an animal that is, to many, distasteful.
And it's not about imposing a belief.
(I don't have the power or desire to impose anything on anyone.)
It's about wanting to walk in the woods without having the fear that i (or my dog) will be shot by an idiot with a gun.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
It's about wanting to walk in the woods without having the fear that i (or my dog) will be shot by an idiot with a gun.
Well, if it's any comfort, the open seasons on vegans and dogs are really short - unless you walk into drug cartel territory of course. Then it's every vegan, man, woman and dog for themself.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
........ Reality is: guns were invented ... they exist ... genie's outta the box ... ain't going back in ... now everybody's got to watch out for nuts and criminals -- and lapses of judgement, errors of assumptions, mistaken stimulus, and bad tempers. Was far less problem in the days of the long-bow ... even less in the days of the stone hammer. But, 'leave it to Beaver' to come up with 'New and Improved!' all the damn time.
I dunno, I think we may be living in the most peaceful era in human existence. I remember reading about how the main cause of death for older men (middle-aged to us) in paleolithic cave-dweller times seemed to be having their skulls bashed in, presumably mostly by other human males.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I dunno, I think we may be living in the most peaceful era in human existence. I remember reading about how the main cause of death for older men (middle-aged to us) in paleolithic cave-dweller times seemed to be having their skulls bashed in, presumably mostly by other human males.
Well, as the channeled spirit of a 10,000-year-old neanderthal who over time went on to become a professional Taoist sage (about 4,000 years ago) and then later took up the role of peripatetic philosopher and finally onto becoming a rogue anthropologist -- it has been my experience and observation that the causes of death in the paleolithic were quite diverse ... running from the violence you cite -- to all manner of sicknesses caused by infections and bad teeth and lots and lots of pneumonia -- to quite an exciting array of accidents (especially while hunting and fishing), of which drownings were not uncommon -- and, perhaps the most common: "garden-variety" starvation (forgive the dark humor and pun).

I recall one remarkably hirsute inventor who managed to ignite his own body hair while dancing a macabre celebration upon discovering how to make fire. Another chap, some years later, inadvertently managed to find himself downhill of a giant stone he had fashioned into a rudimentary wheel which he was in the process of dislodging for its maiden voyage into a valley below. And I'll never forget -- *tea spurting through my nose here as the visual comes back to me* -- ah, but I digress ... don't wish to bore you all afternoon. Back to the point I was going to make: Over all the years of my travels through the ethers of time, the discovery of gunpowder has remained unparalleled -- until recently, as I observe all the tinkering going on with genetic crops and various 'boutique' laboratory diseases, that is. I suspect we are about to see a new age of self-destruction.

Ta.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
You may laugh now, but after my body hair burned off and I jumped into the water, I was a babe magnet. The ladies couldn't stop stroking my chest while grunting softly. So I invented two beauty aids for men with one stone, "shaving" and taking a bath.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,104 times
Who cares if you can't open carry? What exactly are you going to do with an unloaded gun if you actually need to use it to defend yourself? Throw it at someone?

The only thing open-carry is good for is scaring those people who have an irrational fear of guns, and/or an attempt at feeling like a tough guy. CCW is good, because it actually has a use, what with you actually being able to LOAD it. CCW permits are apparently hard to get in CA though, unless you're rich/powerful/famous.

That said, though I'm for CCWs and gun ownership, we need improved screening of mental illness (which would help cut down on incidents like the mass shooting in AZ earlier this year).

Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You may laugh now, but after my body hair burned off and I jumped into the water, I was a babe magnet. The ladies couldn't stop stroking my chest while grunting softly. So I invented two beauty aids for men with one stone, "shaving" and taking a bath.
I thought you died! ... So good to hear things worked out ... although I continue to prefer all bodies return to being as hirsute as bears and dogs ... 'more combs -- fewer razors' is my campaign these days ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California