Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I can't .. have .. it .. both ways... .. Yeah, I can't possibly lawfully possess a CCW and ascertain which places I can lawfully conceal carry and decide when it makes sense to CCW .. Again, you present this false image that people take showers w/ their guns .. Relax dude ...
You can continue talking about some fantasy world that doesn't exist or accept the reality that CCW laws in the most gun friendly states are pretty restrictive. In Texas you can't carry a CCW in schools or in any business that posts a sign prohibiting you from doing so.

Quote:
You don't strike me as someone who is informed or thinks logically .. Neither of these opinions has anything to do w/ the discussion though.
You're the one who brought up mortality statistics. I just find it ironic that somebody who wants to carry a concealed weapon, ostensibly to protect himself from danger, chooses to engage in statistically risky behaviors.

Maybe you could also look up the statistics of accidental shooting deaths by legal gun owners and compare it to the risk of being killed by a criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
... your juxtaposition of words implied that ...
Call a spade a spade ..
... they didn't imply anything through juxtaposition ... you just put your foot in your mouth ...
Call a spade a spade? ... that's what you call demeaning people at every turn?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,108,600 times
Quote:
This just in ...
Number of deaths for leading causes of death
Heart disease: 616,067
Cancer: 562,875
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
Diabetes: 71,382
Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 46,448
Septicemia: 34,828

Yes, the #5 leading cause of death in the U.S are morons.. The idiot who doesn't use a turning signal .. The idiot who runs lights, doesn't stop at stop signs.. The person talking on their cellphone while driving .. The j*ck wagon who finds other things so important in life that they dont pay attention and cause accidents that kill people ..

And again, i point out people's ignorance in equating crime events/statistics about people who illegally posses firearms w/ those who legally posses firearms.

This just in, 10 dumba**es not using turn signals just put people in the hospital today ..

The cases you site are rare and pale in comparison to the amount of idiots not paying attention on a daily basis that kill people ... and still, the number of crimes committed by LEGAL gun owners is very low.

You don't need a CCW at work so give me a break .. Stop being foolish.
If you were inclined and had reason to be fearful on the commute to work .. you simply grab your holster on the way out your house .. CCW to your car.. and when you get to your job ... un-CCW and walk in.

In my case, I would CCW for instance if I was strolling through Oakland .. or San Jose .. at times when i am doing trips on my motorcycle .. roadside safety in case something happens .. there are many cases ..

The realization an intelligent gun owner has is that a gun doesn't make you invisible .. there are times when having one on you reduces risk for you a great deal and there are times when it doesn't...

Carrying one becomes as routine as picking up your keys when you head out the door .. It really isn't that serious and the fear/seriousness for which non-gun owners have about it freaks me out as it seems to spawn from ignorance.
I hear/see more car-accidents and related deaths every day than I hear/see about people getting shot!!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Leading cause of death among black men 15 to 25, murder
Leading cause of death among white men 15 to 25, dumb accidents "Hey ya'll watch this!"

Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Leading cause of death among white men 15 to 25, dumb accidents "Hey ya'll watch this!"
....or "Hey dude watch me!"

Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 PM

253 posts, read 349,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Leading cause of death among black men 15 to 25, murder

Trolling right along...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
In a life threatening situation you have seconds to respond and neutralize the threat, not minutes. A police cruiser could be driving down the street right outside your home when they got the call, and you would still be dead unless you had the means to protect yourself. YOU are responsible for your defense and protection, not the law or any other organization. This fact is something that the leftwing loons just do not get or will not accept. California has the most restrictive firearms laws in the nation according to the pro gun groups, and now Moonbeam has made it worse. In many places in California it would be easier to get a permit to drill for oil at the busiest intersection in town than it would to get a CCW permit. As others mentioned, the map posted earlier is out of date. It sure is in Orange County. Our new lady sheriff does not like guns, coming from LA as she does, and has made it extremely difficult to get a CCW. Not only that but she has revoked many valid permits already in force. The previous sheriff may have been a crook, but at least he respected the 2nd Amendment.
I realize this is not an equal comparison...

Last Thursday, not too far from home, I came upon a home with thick smoke pouring out from every crack and crevice and an older hysterical woman thinking her husband may have been inside...

I called 911 and it took over 8 minutes for the first truck to arrive with several more over the course of 15 minutes.

8 minutes for a burning home with the belief someone was inside...

No matter what anyone says... the first critical minutes... you are basically on your own.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
California residents can have just about any kind of gun in their homes without needing a CCP. Even assault weapons are ok if you register them and pay an extra fee, I think it was $200.

The home is where you most need a gun anyway, unless you're wandering around a high crime area at night. Save some trouble and get a defender-type shotgun, there aren't any problems with getting long guns, and they're more effective than a handgun.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
California residents can have just about any kind of gun in their homes without needing a CCP. Even assault weapons are ok if you register them and pay an extra fee, I think it was $200.

The home is where you most need a gun anyway, unless you're wandering around a high crime area at night. Save some trouble and get a defender-type shotgun, there aren't any problems with getting long guns, and they're more effective than a handgun.

I was able to hike in most of the County that are rec areas with unloaded open carry. Brown has now made me a criminal for wanting to pack some type of weapon that doesn't weigh over 6 lbs. Now, every hiker will be calling fish and game on me cause they will think I am hunting in a area not legal.

I had a lion take down a 4 point buck about 200 yards from my favorite bow hunting spot. It's also criss crossed in a known smuggling route.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM

158 posts, read 332,450 times
[quote=.highnlite;21246513]Leading cause of death among black men 15 to 25, murder
Leading cause of death among white men 15 to 25, dumb accidents "Hey ya'll watch this!"[/quote]

That's hilarious Sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

I can understand owning a gun for this reason. But this whole notion of walking around town armed to the teeth is bothersome. Yes, I know about the gans and other thugs having weapons, but where do we draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I was able to hike in most of the County that are rec areas with unloaded open carry. Brown has now made me a criminal for wanting to pack some type of weapon that doesn't weigh over 6 lbs. Now, every hiker will be calling fish and game on me cause they will think I am hunting in a area not legal.

I had a lion take down a 4 point buck about 200 yards from my favorite bow hunting spot. It's also criss crossed in a known smuggling route.
So you hiked with this thing unloaded. What goood was that doing you again?? I'm trying to figure it out. What if someone came upon you suddenly? Would you be able to load and fire before they did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California