Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
But, but Governor! You leave me nothing to cling to, except my religion.
I sorta cling to my education, career, wonderful life, and friends ...
I don't believe i have even thought about my gun in the past 4-5 months until I saw this foolish legislation ... There go the ignorant fear mongers though.. claiming people w/ guns are religious nut bag conservatives...

You almost had me fingered w/ that comment .. LOL /s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
This is a result of open carry groups in California trying get more recognition or change the law to allow live ammo while open carrying. I forget which but they scared the people I to voting Open carry completely out. I guess it wasn't much good anyhow seeing how you couldn't carry loaded....what's the point? I wouldn't open carry knowing that everyone around me knew it was unloaded...sounds like you're begging for trouble.
Which is the result of California's asinine no CCW issuance in the populated counties...

Old 10-11-2011, 02:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Can you explain the reason why you need to CCW at work in a corporate office? I own a gun and would like a CCW and I couldn't imagine being that big of an idiot to try what you are suggesting ... Appeal to extremes much?

Most companies have bans... Again, CCW is not allowed in a lot of places. uninformed ignorance is rearing its fearful head.

The beauty of CCW is that you most probably have never noticed it and the people were all around you.. Millions of people have CCW and the scenarios you non-gun owners paint don't happen.. Magical aint it?

My background .. I work in one of those nice cozy corporate offices just like you ... am very well educated and hey, I happen to own a gun and would have a CCW if I was allowed.. When would i CCW? When I do motorcycle rides out into BFE ... when I in a bad neighborhood ...

Not when I am strolling the mall or at work.. Where do you people come up w/ this stuff?

Been watching too many movies bro.
This is scary. You and I are starting to agree on things.

I have a CCW and there are 40 states in which it's recognized and honored. I never carry when out and about in my local area. No reason to. The only time I do is when we travel to the city or out of state on the periodic trips we take. No one ever notices when I'm armed and if anyone ever did notice a slight "bump" under my shirt and ask me what it was I'd simply respond, "Emergency equipment" which is what it is and all that it is.

Bottom line: It ain't no big thing. If it was I probably shouldn't have the CCW.

One interesting twist in my state is that not only do we have a "Castle Doctrine" when it comes to home defense but it also extends to being in your car. Hmmm! Wonder if that's why I've yet to read an account of a car-jacking here. Not sayin' there aren't any but haven't run across a story about one yet.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Two choices, either open carry goes to Court (again) or this wins.

Peruta v. County of San Diego - Calguns Wiki

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Too Funny, let me rearrange this a bit.
Quote:
When would he CCW? When he does motorcycle rides out into BFE

poor guy has

Been watching too many movies bro.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Two choices, either open carry goes to Court (again) or this wins.

Peruta v. County of San Diego - Calguns Wiki
Most people have no clue how much litgation is working its way through the courts on these issues.

Litigation Past and Present - Calguns Wiki

Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
When it comes to life-threatening emergencies, a delayed response by police is highly unlikely.
In a life threatening situation you have seconds to respond and neutralize the threat, not minutes. A police cruiser could be driving down the street right outside your home when they got the call, and you would still be dead unless you had the means to protect yourself. YOU are responsible for your defense and protection, not the law or any other organization. This fact is something that the leftwing loons just do not get or will not accept. California has the most restrictive firearms laws in the nation according to the pro gun groups, and now Moonbeam has made it worse. In many places in California it would be easier to get a permit to drill for oil at the busiest intersection in town than it would to get a CCW permit. As others mentioned, the map posted earlier is out of date. It sure is in Orange County. Our new lady sheriff does not like guns, coming from LA as she does, and has made it extremely difficult to get a CCW. Not only that but she has revoked many valid permits already in force. The previous sheriff may have been a crook, but at least he respected the 2nd Amendment.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
In a life threatening situation you have seconds to respond and neutralize the threat, not minutes. A police cruiser could be driving down the street right outside your home when they got the call, and you would still be dead unless you had the means to protect yourself. YOU are responsible for your defense and protection, not the law or any other organization. This fact is something that the leftwing loons just do not get or will not accept. California has the most restrictive firearms laws in the nation according to the pro gun groups, and now Moonbeam has made it worse. In many places in California it would be easier to get a permit to drill for oil at the busiest intersection in town than it would to get a CCW permit. As others mentioned, the map posted earlier is out of date. It sure is in Orange County. Our new lady sheriff does not like guns, coming from LA as she does, and has made it extremely difficult to get a CCW. Not only that but she has revoked many valid permits already in force. The previous sheriff may have been a crook, but at least he respected the 2nd Amendment.
Aside from the fearmongering hyperbole -- Hawaii has the most restrictive gun laws ... good news: very low violent crime rate there ...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
This is a result of open carry groups in California trying get more recognition or change the law to allow live ammo while open carrying. I forget which but they scared the people I to voting Open carry completely out. I guess it wasn't much good anyhow seeing how you couldn't carry loaded....what's the point? I wouldn't open carry knowing that everyone around me knew it was unloaded...sounds like you're begging for trouble.
I suspect the same thing, that the open carry proponents were demonstrating to support their right to open carry, and was on TV news coverage a few or several months ago. If that's the case then I believe they hurt their cause more than helping it.

The way I understood it you could carry your ammunition too as long as long as the gun wasn't loaded. For example, empty gun in holster and live clip on belt in clip holder. Please correct me if this is wrong (anybody).

I support our Constitutional right to own and bear arms, but I can't imagine myself ever wanting to carry a firearm whether open or concealed. Furthermore I'd be very uncomfortable if I went into a restaurant or store and saw armed customers. I'd probably rather leave than patronize the business. In my opinion guns should be kept at home or on the firing range (or out in hunting territory during season).

So I'm in favor of banning open carry at least in heavily populated areas of California (like Los Angeles). It doesn't seem to matter as much to me if the carry is happening in sparsely populated areas like the mountains or desert.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Not when I am strolling the mall or at work.. Where do you people come up w/ this stuff?..Been watching too many movies bro.
Movies, how about the news?

Work - Somebody goes postal
Store - Gabby Giffords, need I say more?
Mall - Robbed in the parking lot
School - Columbine

I thought the whole point of having a CCW was that you never know when you'll need it. I tend to only leave my home when I'm going to places where CCW's are not allowed (work, stores, restaurants etc.) so where is the benefit? In your case it seems like you would only "carry" when you're going for leisure rides to nowhere which proves my point about impracticality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California