Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Utopia is hard to find.. one can insulate one's self from the world with money..I doubt there is a utopia

I do wonder about places that put an emphasis on family.. religion.. service to others... whether they exist and whether these attributes would change my perceptions.. or in the case my reality

When I first moved to Redding I loved it and felt safe here.. now ab109.. homeless.. flocks of dopers coming to grow.. all the lowlifes that come with them.. all have changed our area exponentially in just several years... rarely did we have a pursuit,, now we have one every day,, rarely were there OIS shootings,, we've been having one a month.. beginning to feel like where I came from.. I do think I see it from a different vantage point than most people

My wife and I have concluded there is no utopia in the US anymore.. so we will look for a place with less density,, fewer people gnerally means fewer services ..less government.. lower taxes..

Kalifornia is about too many people vying for too few resources,,, and half of us paying for the other half of sick lame and lazy.. change that and utopia just might follow
I originally was thinking, what foreign country would you like? Mostly came up empty. Perhaps Paraguay or Uruguay. Almost everywhere else is going to be way too liberal for you I think. Good luck anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogobats View Post
there is a midwest state.. that has religion, believes in community, and prioritizes family values. its a liberal state but the se part of it has a conservative view. its affordable, has low crime, great education and a good hospital. the only con....its a big one.. real winters, however, there are 4 seasons.

hint. Its north of Iowa and west of Wisconsin. The area i speak of..hmmmm. its easy to figure out, if you are looking for what you say you are.

its not utopia... but its close.
Another con: it's one of the 13 states that taxes Social Security, and it's the one that taxes at the highest rate.

13 States That Tax Social Security Income

Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,075 times
Good advice.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I grew up in St. Paul. Was a regular blood donor to the mosquito bank. Read pogobats' review and utopia conclusion. Laughed so hard I couldn't type a response. By all means, I think everyone unhappy with California should move to Minnesota. Can't think of a better lesson.
And when they move back, they can share all the great Minnesota sayings they learned with us LOL. They crack me up!

Old 11-19-2014, 09:17 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
This technique may be a good working way to get away from possible confrontation, but the point is that law-abiding citizens have a right to live without having to engage in this--should be able to walk without having to look over their shoulder or live in fear, bend their head down when confronted by these criminals or come up with "excuses" why they don't want to give handout and have their dignity violated this way. This state fails to provide this dignity and safety in almost all parts of it. I found situation was way better in mountain towns vs. valley towns.

A while ago I had aggressive padhandlers threaten me (even threaten to fight me)... now, after years of sport, my look had changed and these junkies don't approach me anymore. Look at the city of South Lake Tahoe: you get junkies mess with people in the street or places like laundromats....THIS CHANGES once the border to Nevada is crossed (Nevada border pretty much cuts through town, even though it's a technically a different city on the NV side). NV is a carry state and their sheriffs don't mess around as well --so the lowlife scum just falls off about right at the border. Whatever crimes they like to commit--they try to stick to California side, where people are not likely to pack. CA is a free party for thugs to harass, assault and steal from law-abiding people, all sponsored by the lunatic government. With increasing meth and other drugs infestation--this is creeping all over the country, though... And in the Western coastal states now you're either in the wealthy enclave or in the dumps where it's not safe. Standards of people are getting lowered more and more and they're starting to feel that this is normal to be harassed, hassled and threatened and just chalk it up quietly. Another problem is in Kaliffornia self defense can get you in trouble and people may fear unlawful prosecution for self-defense even more than being harmed by criminals...truly sick. Perhaps one should seek the harshest climate to live in, in hopes this may deter the thugs from moving in all over the place.
lol you are kidding, right? I spent 14 years living in Reno and it has a huge meth problem. Drive around Reno sometime you won't go far without seeing panhandlers, homeless people and all of the same sorts of folks that you claim are only in California. And I hate to break it to you but even though Nevada has somewhat more liberal carry laws, it is still not legal to shoot people just because you decided that they are a 'thug'.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Utopia is hard to find.. one can insulate one's self from the world with money..I doubt there is a utopia

I do wonder about places that put an emphasis on family.. religion.. service to others... whether they exist and whether these attributes would change my perceptions.. or in the case my reality

When I first moved to Redding I loved it and felt safe here.. now ab109.. homeless.. flocks of dopers coming to grow.. all the lowlifes that come with them.. all have changed our area exponentially in just several years... rarely did we have a pursuit,, now we have one every day,, rarely were there OIS shootings,, we've been having one a month.. beginning to feel like where I came from.. I do think I see it from a different vantage point than most people

My wife and I have concluded there is no utopia in the US anymore.. so we will look for a place with less density,, fewer people gnerally means fewer services ..less government.. lower taxes..

Kalifornia is about too many people vying for too few resources,,, and half of us paying for the other half of sick lame and lazy.. change that and utopia just might follow
So, let me get this right...Redding was wonderful, then AB109 passed and it turned into a rat hole. You are aware that the only thing AB109 did was change parole responsibilities from the State to Counties and direct that State Prison sentences be served in County Jails for felons with no violent/serious priors right? And you do know that AB109 is statewide, right? So please explain how AB109 ruined Redding.

It makes no sense that felons from all over the state would have flocked to Redding because of AB109, so perhaps these 'lowlifes' are local residents who who can't find legitimate jobs or afford a place to live...think about it.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So, let me get this right...Redding was wonderful, then AB109 passed and it turned into a rat hole. You are aware that the only thing AB109 did was change parole responsibilities from the State to Counties and direct that State Prison sentences be served in County Jails for felons with no violent/serious priors right? And you do know that AB109 is statewide, right? So please explain how AB109 ruined Redding.

It makes no sense that felons from all over the state would have flocked to Redding because of AB109, so perhaps these 'lowlifes' are local residents who who can't find legitimate jobs or afford a place to live...think about it.

Sheesh... come here and see for yourself

READ my opinion again

Its not just ab109ers,,, although we are flooded with them,, its the dopers.. social misfits and welfare recipeints that seem to comprise an inordinanant amount of this community.. shasta county is a social welfare county

Go to walmart winco or foodmax on check day and watch them come out of the woodwork.. many of the ab109ers are without housing so they live in homeless camps and commit further crimes because thats what they know how to do and its a way to survive..the paro;e office got shut down and they got shifted to probation,, and the caseload skyrocketed... so theres little supervision..so they act up... in larger counties more resources are available by default... and of course major counties where government runs lots of resources get allocated...
COR just had a crime symposium on how to address its issues.. one of the suggestions was busing criminals out of town and paying other counties to take them... that should tell you how frustrated the community is and how overcrowded our jail is... unless you get arrested for a serious part one felony its a cite and release.. and many felonies are Or'd

The dopers got beat back but only temporarily... grow season is right around the corner.. this time at least we can pull plants immediately (until they get to spend some of their dope money on an injunction.. which they will lose)....and no grandma were not coming for your plants... only if you act stupid and cant get along with your neighbors... but for the idiots hiding behind 215 growing for profit... you're done.. and yep..dopers flocked here from all over the country to grow.. we know that from the out of state persons arrested and from intel gained from pro dope websites... emerald triangle fame...

You have a nice day

Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 PM

78 posts, read 140,097 times
Redding is a beautiful place. There is a lot of drugs, crime, mental illness, and homeless. This is unfortunate.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,319 times
Quote:
As a policeman my opinion is that Redding is going into the toilet.. this happened very quickly.. over a period of five or so years

Medical MJ has ruined the place with so many stoners all over now and the problems they bring... and lets not forget Jerrys Kids being let out of jail onto the streets.. the criminal homeless population has exploded..along with crimes of violence and an overworked/understaffed ,pitifully so, PD and Sheriffs Office.

I'm armed all the time.. and my property is a fortress... more so that weapons don't end up in the hands of crooks

That being said...

This is WAY WAY better than SoCAL for quality of life

In 30 minutes Im in the wilderness.. provided I don't stumble on a grow all's good... and while its a PITA to be heavily armed its probably necessary now

10 minutes Im on the lake... and a 30 minute cruise has me alone again

My wife makes 25 an hour, which for Redding is good money, when she is qualified to make 150 an hour... I make great money teaching at the college( top step 64 an hour).. and I have my SOCAl retirement.. so we are blessed...

There are so many people without work here that end up in the hopeless social welfare grinder

Dont come if you dont have a job

Come if you can afford property because there are killer deals

Come if you think its your right to carry a concealed weapon.. our Sheriff thinks its your right. Unlike L.A where I came from where only if you were highly connected (corruption at its best) could you obtain one

I want to move simply because Kalifornia tax structure is eating me alive

Finally.. please only come if you have all your teeth.. Shasta County still has a plethora of Wal-mart aliens that lack most of theirs
Thank you for your review - I definitely paid attention to what you wrote. And you helped my husband and I make up our mind to cross out Redding as a relocation possibility. It's been almost 4 years since your message, have things in Redding got any better or have they got worse? We are trying to escape the heat and humidity in the Southeast and are looking for a safe place to retire. Any ideas? :-) Thank you!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:11 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Paxton View Post
Thank you for your review - I definitely paid attention to what you wrote. And you helped my husband and I make up our mind to cross out Redding as a relocation possibility. It's been almost 4 years since your message, have things in Redding got any better or have they got worse? We are trying to escape the heat and humidity in the Southeast and are looking for a safe place to retire. Any ideas? :-) Thank you!

You would escape the humidity of the SE in Redding......but, definitely not the heat. A good portion of California is quite expensive in regard to housing. What sort of a budget would you have in retirement? Would you be looking to buy or rent? The answer to those 2 questions would be helpful to potential respondents to your postings question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California