Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallred0905 View Post
ok, I read this forum quite often and really wanted to move to Oregon, but I don't think that will happen. Is Redding really that bad!?!?!
I just moved here, and I like it. Read this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...l#post33109464

Keep in mind that I don't have to worry about the job market. I'm on a fixed income, and live in a low-income senior apt building downtown. So, if the job market might affect you, you should check that out, too.

craigslist: redding classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 20,293 times
employment is horrible there. I am mainly into steel fabrication and there is not much there, on CL at least. I have personally only driven through and stopped for a rest on our way to and from Oregon, and I loved it there. I enjoyed the scenery and the town seemed ok. I am always looking for somewhere new that is affordable and economically feasible but Redding isn't it I guess...

thank you for your reply.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
employment is horrible there. I am mainly into steel fabrication and there is not much there, on CL at least. I have personally only driven through and stopped for a rest on our way to and from Oregon, and I loved it there. I enjoyed the scenery and the town seemed ok. I am always looking for somewhere new that is affordable and economically feasible but Redding isn't it I guess...

thank you for your reply.
Whoa, that's a trip! If I may date myself... Just 2 blocks away from me is a steel business. Not sure what they do, but I walk by it all the time:

Gerlinger Steel and Supply Company Inc.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 PM

LOL, there is some stuff there, but not working minimum wage for a job like that. Thanks for the link, maybe I will shoot them a email and see about employment. My fiance is a CNA and has been for 8 years so work is easy for her to find I would imagine...

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM

200 posts, read 454,152 times
I just want to say that IF someone REALLY does want to retire to Redding and is living on a fixed income I would recommend The Pilgrim House. It is in a much safer area in Redding than downtown and is just minutes to shopping at the Mount Shasta Mall and other ammenities. There is a waiting list but of all the places in Redding for retirees, it is the only one I would even consider. More info is here... Affordable Housing Communities, Senior Housing Communities, Housing for Seniors Hope this helps! :-)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
I just want to say that IF someone REALLY does want to retire to Redding and is living on a fixed income I would recommend The Pilgrim House. It is in a much safer area in Redding than downtown and is just minutes to shopping at the Mount Shasta Mall and other ammenities. There is a waiting list but of all the places in Redding for retirees, it is the only one I would even consider. More info is here... Affordable Housing Communities, Senior Housing Communities, Housing for Seniors Hope this helps! :-)
Looks wonderful! Alas, I'm not old enough yet for that community. I'm in a 55+ building. Will have to wait a few years :-)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 PM

301 posts, read 520,015 times
Tallred:

Had to chuckle at your observation. Gerlinger's will offer higher than minimum wage, but not much higher. My spouse worked for them for 10 years, but left for greener pastures.

Also available in Redding along those lines are TORR Industries, Industrial Steel & Fabrication, D & J Steel, and Pape Machinery. Worth a look. And yes, your CNA fiancée would have no problem finding a job there. Lots of retirees needing medical care.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 AM

13 posts, read 46,070 times
I have gotten a lot of good information from this site. I guess the best way to decide, is to take a trip and look at all of the small towns around Mt. Shasta. I think Redding has been blasted so much, I am not sure, but the job situation does not bother me, as I am 65 and while it would be nice to have a little part time job. Moving from Dallas and moving for the last time is a little scary as I single woman, but I am pretty tough. Worried more about the health care. I have wonderful doctors here and awesome hospitals. Finding a new doctor, dentist, aesthetician, etc. scares me more. I do not smoke dope. Even though I grew up in the sixties, I finished all of my wild days back then. I appreciate all of the data you guys have given me. It will not be anytime soon, but hopefully, I can move back to my favorite state......I love California and want to get out of this concrete jungle..........Peace..... Out !!!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
Tallred:

Had to chuckle at your observation. Gerlinger's will offer higher than minimum wage, but not much higher. My spouse worked for them for 10 years, but left for greener pastures.

Also available in Redding along those lines are TORR Industries, Industrial Steel & Fabrication, D & J Steel, and Pape Machinery. Worth a look. And yes, your CNA fiancée would have no problem finding a job there. Lots of retirees needing medical care.
Hey thank you for the input! I have been in the steel industry since I was 17 so I have a fairly vast knowledge of sales, fabrication, processes and techniques. I will look into all those listed companies and see if anyone is hiring. Once again, greatly appreciated, thank you.

Am I wrong for being sick of where I was born and raised and wanting something different?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Am I wrong for being sick of where I was born and raised and wanting something different?
LOL! Who cares?!! Do what will make you happy!

I hereby give you permission to do what you want --for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California