Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallred0905 View Post

Am I wrong for being sick of where I was born and raised and wanting something different?
Can't do anything about where you're born. You CAN do something about where you live as an adult. Living somewhere beyond the original nest is a good thing, at least for some appreciable length of time. (Rather sad to revisit the old hometown and see your old classmates still hanging around the same old haunts, even in the same old garages in the same old houses from when we were brats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 20,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL! Who cares?!! Do what will make you happy!

I hereby give you permission to do what you want --for you!
hahaha, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Can't do anything about where you're born. You CAN do something about where you live as an adult. Living somewhere beyond the original nest is a good thing, at least for some appreciable length of time. (Rather sad to revisit the old hometown and see your old classmates still hanging around the same old haunts, even in the same old garages in the same old houses from when we were brats).
That is true. I see all the people I knew growing up and most are doing the same stuff and personally as weird as it sounds, I dont wanna run into someone I know every singe time I go to town.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
That is true. I see all the people I knew growing up and most are doing the same stuff and personally as weird as it sounds, I dont wanna run into someone I know every singe time I go to town.
Small Town Blues - everybody knows what everybody else is doing, and feel the itch to pry into each others' personal business. Kind of like a micro NSA/Big Brother drama. Has a lot to do with why people get out of such places and head for the nations' population centers.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:

Oh man do I get this! I moved to a tiny town in the mountains in WA state. And me, a girl from the SF Bay Area. Total culture shock. EVERYONE knew my business and if my business wasn't interesting enough, they made stuff up. I hated small town life. Some people find it comforting, I felt it was stifling!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 PM

50 posts, read 115,365 times
Redding is probably one of the nicest cities in the USA to live in. I just moved there and love it. Where else can I hike, bike, golf, boat, run the river trail year round? 2nd sunniest city in the USA! It's like phoenix only with WAY more to do and see. A short drive you can get to Reno, Tahoe, Napa, The Coast, San Fran etc! I have gone to all those places several times a year as a nice weekend getaway. Riding my harley in Jan is priceless! Surrounded by beautiful mountains and 2 amazing lakes what else can you want? The home

If you can't get a job in Redding you can't get a job any other city. The motivated and educated have work in Redding, I agree it's not the big city jobs you find elsewhere but there is work. Work out of town or online and live in Redding if you can!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 PM

200 posts, read 453,913 times
As someone who has actually LIVED here in Redding since 1972 I can say that the motivated and educated are moving OUT of Redding to find work. My own daughter who recently graduated as Class Valedictorian with a Bachelor's degree from the University she attended finally was able to find a job in the Bay Area after a 6 month search since there was nothing here in Redding but part time minimum wage jobs.

Redding is also listed in Forbes as being the #5 city in the US for violence against women.. The Most Dangerous U.S. Cities For Women - Forbes

and in the top 10 cities for car thefts... Redding ranks among top ten U.S. cities for auto theft | Local News - Home In fact the 2 first 2 weeks in December we had over 30 cars stolen in the Redding area alone

Old 01-27-2014, 02:18 PM

10 posts, read 20,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Small Town Blues - everybody knows what everybody else is doing, and feel the itch to pry into each others' personal business. Kind of like a micro NSA/Big Brother drama. Has a lot to do with why people get out of such places and head for the nations' population centers.
well put!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
If you’re a retiree that likes the outdoors, it’s a nice place to spend your last years.
What good is having nice outdoor recreational opportunities if it's too hot to enjoy them? I hate having to spend summers indoors with the air conditioning.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
Redding is also listed in Forbes as being the #5 city in the US for violence against women.. The Most Dangerous U.S. Cities For Women - Forbes

Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ah the Redding past-time:

Get high on meth and beat the wife or girlfriend for smoking the last camel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California