Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Do you remember 2002? I do - and it wasn't tremendously different than it is today other than the housing bubble was just ramping up. I'd wager in ten more years things won't be much different than they are now. What you've outlined is utter paranoid fiction on a tin foil hat scale.
Totally agree.... remember the 2012 "gloom and doom" ..."end of world" nonsense....it appears to have been recalculated to 2022!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM

208 posts, read 318,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Thanks for referring senior citizens, youth population and working class people as "free loaders" and hoping for their death.

Uh, no...senior citizens who worked their whole lives and paid into the system are not free-loaders. Working class people who WORK and pay taxes and are productive members of society are not free-loaders.

Those that sit on unemployment for 2+ years and want further extentions because they have no intention of actually returning to work...free-loaders.

Illegals that come here and get free medical care, education, etc. without paying any taxes and taking jobs away from actual Americans...free-loaders.

The "youth population" that think they're entitled to have everything handed to them without actually having to work for it ...free-loaders.

Welfare recipients that make no effort to get off and continue to pop out babies(even though they already get free birth-control), buy $7/pack cigarettes and $20 cases of beer with their "free" money...free-loaders.

Georgetown law students that can afford to go to Georgetown Law School
but wants me, a taxpayer, to pay for her $9/month pills...free-loader.

Twenty-something able-bodied males standing at the food-stamp line with no intention of being productive people...free-loaders.

People that work and pay taxes...don't like paying for free-loaders.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 PM

457 posts, read 757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Uh, no...senior citizens who worked their whole lives and paid into the system are not free-loaders. Working class people who WORK and pay taxes and are productive members of society are not free-loaders.

Those that sit on unemployment for 2+ years and want further extentions because they have no intention of actually returning to work...free-loaders.

Illegals that come here and get free medical care, education, etc. without paying any taxes and taking jobs away from actual Americans...free-loaders.

The "youth population" that think they're entitled to have everything handed to them without actually having to work for it ...free-loaders.

Welfare recipients that make no effort to get off and continue to pop out babies(even though they already get free birth-control), buy $7/pack cigarettes and $20 cases of beer with their "free" money...free-loaders.

Georgetown law students that can afford to go to Georgetown Law School
but wants me, a taxpayer, to pay for her $9/month pills...free-loader.

Twenty-something able-bodied males standing at the food-stamp line with no intention of being productive people...free-loaders.

People that work and pay taxes...don't like paying for free-loaders.
I see, you believe in the Cadillac driving welfare queens theory.

1. Senior citizens get a lot more out of the system than they put in. Healthcare is expensive now and people live longer. But I won't call them "free loaders". As a responsible society that's what we do, take care of people.

2. Illegals don't "take" jobs, but they are given jobs by Americans and they pay sales taxes. They also productive by producing goods and services for the society, not sure how that is being a free loader

3. Young people are seeing the rules are being changed. No one is demanding an entitlement. But suddenly the rules are changed - a. college tuition is getting prohibitively expensive, including in-state tuition b. - people who enjoy pensions themselves are calling for cutting retirement benefits for the younger generation c. - employment opportunities in the US over the last decade has been the lowest since WWII. So no they are asking for everything to handed to them.

4. Not sure where you are pulling your information from. Yeah, welfare recipients are living such a wonderful lavish life, driving their Cadillacs and enjoying their lives.

5. Most 20 something able bodied person and unemployed people will LOVE to get back to work. Uncertainty of unemployment benefits and the meager amount that it provides is certainly not a motivation to stay unemployed.

Yes, as with any system, there will be people abusing it. But what % is that ? It is a small minority. Even for those who abuse the welfare system -I certainly don't wish them to "fall on the ocean and die". Your anger is misdirected. A handful of poor people are not the problem this country faces.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I see, you believe in the Cadillac driving welfare queens theory.

1. Senior citizens get a lot more out of the system than they put in. Healthcare is expensive now and people live longer. But I won't call them "free loaders". As a responsible society that's what we do, take care of people.
I don't know, Sonny Boy. My memory may be a triffle challenged now and then but I seem to recall, if even vaguely, monthly amounts coming out of every paycheck I ever received for Social Security and Medicare and at the slow pace I'm using the latter, there should be some left over for you.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Quote:
I do not know where people come up with these ideas. Illegals pay exactly the same taxes as everyone else.

I have seen no white Americans lining the roads in the vegetable fields crying about the illegals that took their jobs. I think, in fact, you won't see white Americans anywhere near a weeding or harvesting crew.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I do not know where people come up with these ideas. Illegals pay exactly the same taxes as everyone else.

I have seen no white Americans lining the roads in the vegetable fields crying about the illegals that took their jobs. I think, in fact, you won't see white Americans anywhere near a weeding or harvesting crew.
And why is that? Could it just possibly have anything to do with the working conditions, benefits, and wages not being competitive? It's a little bit of the "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Did the hiring of illegals occur after corporate farms couldn't find Americans, or did Americans stop wanting this type of work after corporate farms realized they could pay illegals far less, and subject them to substandard working conditions?

You see this in other countries too. In Germany there are certain jobs mostly taken by immigrants (often Turks). The same argument is made there. In some cases it is the result of a labor shortage that existed decades ago but perpetuates today due to depressed wages and poor working conditions. I know that where I grew up in the Northeast, those Americans who supposedly will not clean houses, pick crops, landscape, and so on do indeed clean houses, pick crops, and landscape.

It would be nice to see some honest debate on this in the country. Both sides seem hell bent on telling only part of the story. Taxes is a good example. The anti-illegal immigrant crowd cites that they pay no taxes. That is a half truth. They pay sales taxes when they but goods. You are also spewing half truths. They do not pay EXACTLY the same taxes. Most pay no state and federal income taxes. Yes, some do. Most do not. Another example of telling only part of the story is this whole "they just take the jobs we won't do" line. Yes, for reasons I mention on top this may be the case. But let's not gloss over the jobs you see this happening that Americans absolutely will take. Construction is a great example.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
And why is that? Could it just possibly have anything to do with the working conditions, benefits, and wages not being competitive? It's a little bit of the "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Did the hiring of illegals occur after corporate farms couldn't find Americans, or did Americans stop wanting this type of work after corporate farms realized they could pay illegals far less, and subject them to substandard working conditions?

You see this in other countries too. In Germany there are certain jobs mostly taken by immigrants (often Turks). The same argument is made there. In some cases it is the result of a labor shortage that existed decades ago but perpetuates today due to depressed wages and poor working conditions. I know that where I grew up in the Northeast, those Americans who supposedly will not clean houses, pick crops, landscape, and so on do indeed clean houses, pick crops, and landscape.

It would be nice to see some honest debate on this in the country. Both sides seem hell bent on telling only part of the story. Taxes is a good example. The anti-illegal immigrant crowd cites that they pay no taxes. That is a half truth. They pay sales taxes when they but goods. You are also spewing half truths. They do not pay EXACTLY the same taxes. Most pay no state and federal income taxes. Yes, some do. Most do not. Another example of telling only part of the story is this whole "they just take the jobs we won't do" line. Yes, for reasons I mention on top this may be the case. But let's not gloss over the jobs you see this happening that Americans absolutely will take. Construction is a great example.
The solution is simple, we had it in the 1950s with the Bracero program: 1) enforce immigration law; 2) provide temporary legal status to guest workers, with protection from exploitation but without the ordinary benefits of citizenship.

Many liberals don't like it because of its salient non-egalitarianism. Many conservatives don't like it because, well, they just don't like Mexicans. But the solution is fair to everybody - to the Mexicans who want to work, and to the Americans who need the workers. Everyone is happy but the racists and the ideologues.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:17 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The solution is simple, we had it in the 1950s with the Bracero program: 1) enforce immigration law; 2) provide temporary legal status to guest workers, with protection from exploitation but without the ordinary benefits of citizenship.

Many liberals don't like it because of its salient non-egalitarianism. Many conservatives don't like it because, well, they just don't like Mexicans. But the solution is fair to everybody - to the Mexicans who want to work, and to the Americans who need the workers. Everyone is happy but the racists and the ideologues.
Yeah, the way I see it there should be no debate about illegal immigration, only about the rules for immigration.

I can't explain for the life of me how liberals took the side they did. Ditto for the conservatives. If stereotypes are to be believed, the liberals should be anti-immigrant. Illegal immigration represents worker exploitation at its finest. Companies are exploiting desperate people who are willing to work for less than a fair wage. Americans are forced out of industries because those companies pay below market wages and have substandard work conditions. How can an ideology that supports worker rights (e.g. strong support for unions) also support worker exploitation? If conservatives represent greedy companies who will do anything for profit, how can they be against illegal immigration? Why aren't they all for this cheap supply of labor?

I'm not sure why Mexicans are being singled out either. Maybe because they represent the largest single ethnic group of illegal immigrants? It's safe to say however, that in every large immigrant community in America there are tons of illegal immigrants. Mexicans are hardly alone, but they are all that conservatives discuss.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 AM

208 posts, read 318,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Show me one illegal that's filing a state and federal tax return and paying state and federal taxes, not to mention things like excise tax in some states. Yes, I'll give you they pay sales tax...ok, 5-10% depending on the state, and it's on what they buy only. Far cry from someone who has to pay 10-25% of their income in federal tax, 5-10% in state tax, 1% in excise tax, and 7.5-16% in social security/medicare/self-employment taxes. Hmmm, far cry from 20-50% of your income. Bottom line is...no, they sure as heck are NOT paying the same taxes as me, my neighbor, and most other Americans. They also get to send their kids to public school...tax payer supported.
And behold...here in our fields where farming is the biggest industry in the community, they hire white American teenagers to work the farms all summer. Amazing what happens when you teach youngin's about a hard day's work. Then again, they are long-standing family owned farms, not big American companies, but none of our high welfare-recipient Puerto Rican population is coming and standing in line for a job. The free money is too easy.

It's true, there are two sides to every issue, but it's simply not accurate to say illegals pay their...in our liberal President's words..."fair share."

Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Total rubbish! I was unemployed for almost two years after being laid off. First time ever in my adult life too and let me tell you, I didn't choose to remain that way for so long. When you have people with masters degrees applying for the same jobs you are just so they can also get any work they can, the competition means you're gonna be unemployed for a while so yes, extend those benefits. Also, in order to collect unemployment, you had to have worked at some point to pay into it. Never will you get out what you put in anyway. Yes I am happy to be working again now. Half the people I work with have also come from other fields where there's no work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California