Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's because most people who call our state "Cali" couldn't find Colombia on a world map if you held a loaded AK47 against their head and told them you'd shoot them if they couldn't find it in 5 minutes. And I mean a map with the country names right on the maps.

It's because they don't know there is actually a city named Cali. It is because they are from other states and think that Californians call our state "Cali." It's because a state name with 5 syllables is beyond their mental capacity. Quick: how many states have names with one syllable??? (ǝuıɐɯ :ɹǝʍsuɐ)

It's because they don't teach geography in our schools any more. They teach Section 8 -- how to live for free -- AFDC 101, how to have 8 children from 8 fathers and live like a queen without working, and they view people who work for a living and pay taxes as idiots.
For ****'s sake.

“There’s a woman in Chicago. She has 80 names, 30 addresses, 12 Social Security cards. … She’s got Medicaid, getting food stamps and she is collecting welfare under each of her names. Her tax-free cash income alone is over $150,000."

"You people" have had almost 40 years to get the details of this stupid, tire, famously debunked myth straight and you still manage to eff it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
For ****'s sake.

“There’s a woman in Chicago. She has 80 names, 30 addresses, 12 Social Security cards. … She’s got Medicaid, getting food stamps and she is collecting welfare under each of her names. Her tax-free cash income alone is over $150,000."

"You people" have had almost 40 years to get the details of this stupid, tire, famously debunked myth straight and you still manage to eff it up.
Well, when Ronnie R. useta tell a story, he'd tell nothin less than a whopper. Kinda like the world was created in six days. Book says so. Must be true, eh?

Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotprincess View Post
I have noticed the trend to call this state "Cali." It does sound weird and does not flow nicely in my opinion. How do you fellow natives feel about this term?
How does it sound "weird"? I'm not native to Cali nor do I live there, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is over the nickname with some people

Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
How does it sound "weird"? I'm not native to Cali nor do I live there, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is over the nickname with some people
It's adults reverting clumsily into reliving teenage years ("No, you really don't fit into that old shirt. Stop it!") The more this occurs, the more that Joe Clueless is fed more dubious "evidence" via interwebs that declare that this lame broslang is actually common in California.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:02 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
Sounds urban, try hard, and silly.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:14 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Of course the opinions of the natives matter. We live here, so we should know. Just because someone from England calls Los Angeles "loss-angel-EEZ" doesn't make it the correct pronunciation.

I'm a native of Orange County and I can honestly say I have never heard anyone my age or older say "Cali." Now, a few young'uns in their teens and twenties maybe say it. But they also say "the OC," so we can dismiss their speech as immature and media-driven.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, when Ronnie R. useta tell a story, he'd tell nothin less than a whopper. Kinda like the world was created in six days. Book says so. Must be true, eh?
Twas ever thus. The same guy who said he was at the gates of Auschwitz when it was liberated. Twice. Of course, he was in Culver City shooting PSA's for the Army at the time.

But I do note a new embellishment to this particular faery tale: now they're teaching welfare aristocracy in school.

S***'s depressing.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Twas ever thus. The same guy who said he was at the gates of Auschwitz when it was liberated. Twice. Of course, he was in Culver City shooting PSA's for the Army at the time.

But I do note a new embellishment to this particular faery tale: now they're teaching welfare aristocracy in school.

S***'s depressing.
And people here on this very forum say there's no upward mobility potential anymore - phbbbbt! Proof positive! From welfare scumbags to welfare Queens! A modern Pygmalion. Shaw would be proud.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:06 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Right, meaning it's a dumb kids' thing. Got recharged with ADHD text brat language (the kind that drives English teachers to drink heavily). It's stupid when wannabes use it, flat out embarrassing when adults do so.
It is quintessential brospeak, fodder for the types that admire the Justin Biebers and Jersey Shore tools of the world. Save yourself and your loved ones from this pernicious vacuous blather, and leave it rest in the trailer from whence it emerged.
Lol! Maybe it is all that, but so are plenty of other words used by kids. The funny thing is watching adults get all riled up by it, as if it some sort of assault to their native herritage. Half of you probably don't even live here or worse yet, whine endlessly about our taxes, the traffic, the water shortage, the road work and the government. Your native style sucks in my opinion.

Be thankful for the kids and their perniciuos vacuous blather (I'll have to look both of those words up). They are the ones spending all of the money to keep the economy affloat. And that's a well established economic principle, both in terms of the spending habits of those make next to nothing and the age demographic of those who spend the most. So let the poor kids who are making everyone else rich call this state whatever they want to.

And BTW, the whole "Cali is a city in South America" or wherver the hell it is is a lame response. Emits a pungant smell of someone trying to sound both educated and wordly. Somewhere someone in the city of Cali is reading this and calling you guys idiots right now.

Last edited by sacite; 08-16-2014 at 02:29 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 02:19 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Quote:
The OP is dated? Are you kidding? The term has been in pop culture for over a quarter of a century. It is tired. It is stale. It has ceased to be funky fresh.

It was dumb at the time and the fact most people come to that realization sooner rather than later should tell you all you need to know.
Why do you care?? What's the bigger issue. No one gets riled up about urban slang to this extent. So it's a lame word. Point conceded. I don't use it. I just could care less if someone else does. Cause that's what we do in California - we live and let live.

I'll tell you why I responded. As I stated, to bash someone for using a word to describe our state is to be exclusionary. That's not what this state is about. It accepts any and all people. And it's not "your" state. You don't have that sort of status here. In fact, no one does.

THAT is why the topic bothers me. It's not about the word. It's about some goober trying to claim the state and tell other people how to refer to it. OK president Reagan, I am sure your contrubutions here have earned that right. At least I have a logical reason for my opinion, grounded in some sort of thought process.

The question is, why does the word bother YOU?? Other than because it sounds dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California