Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Oh, I forgot...I really want to hear Texans start to call it "Texi"...especially if they live in "Dalli"!
Hel-LO-O-O, Dalli!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Sounds really, really lame. Maybe started by rappers who couldn't fit the whole name of the state in their lyrics?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM

92 posts, read 235,925 times
I'm not from California but a lot of teens here in Wisconsin call it Cali only for a certain reason. Cali sounds more like a destination to teens, here. When people say Cali here it's connotation is more of Los Angeles, San Diego, palm trees, beaches, surfing, and nice weather. Meanwhile the word California brings up all of California. That's how the word Cali works here. Many people here dream of being in California during our winters and call it Cali because of its connotation. I like to just call it California though.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Yes, live and let live. You can walk down the street is West Hollywood naked, singing and slapping your azz only to be greeted by laughter and people cheering you on. Say "Cali" and.....well normal people just don't say that word I'm not a California hater but this type of nonsense is precisely why people like to hate on CA.

Of course, natives DO use that word. Many have chimed in on this in the past. It is a big myth than only tourists use Cali

I suppose the shops sell merchandise with "Cali" on it just to tick off fellow natives Yes, that makes a lot of sense

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has connected the dots and realized that Cali is probably used in written form much more often than spoken. How many people do you hear say "LOL"? How often do you see it written? The same seems to be true for Cali.

This topic makes my head hurt every time it comes up.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotprincess View Post
I have noticed the trend to call this state "Cali." It does sound weird and does not flow nicely in my opinion. How do you fellow natives feel about this term?
I am not a native but I HATE that (non) word. No one refers to New York as "Yorki" or Texas as "Texi" or Oregon as "Ori".

Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am not a native but I HATE that (non) word. No one refers to New York as "Yorki" or Texas as "Texi" or Oregon as "Ori".
Actually I believe it would be NewYo and Texa respectively. I mean if your trying to achieve a comparative parity in your analogy.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
THANK YOU, and I said same in an earlier post, and I AM a native.

C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A. The End.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
People who hate the word 'Cali' but use the words 'SoCal' and 'NorCal' are pretentious and boring.

Same with anyone who thinks their opinion means more because they're a "native".

Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
If my name was OwlKaMyst I'd probably call myself Cali too
What exactly is that supposed to mean?
I have an idea, but I am careful to not assume anything, such as assuming that people who say 'Cali' are uneducated.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
What exactly is that supposed to mean?
I have an idea, but I am careful to not assume anything, such as assuming that people who say 'Cali' are uneducated.
It was a joke. About the length of and complex syllables in your screen name compared to the simplicity of Cali

You said your full name was long so you went by a shortened version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California