Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
" perniciuos vacuous " (I'll have to look both of those words up)
Really? Wouldn't you be better off looking them up (and proof reading) before ridiculing them?
Just asking. Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
How does it sound "weird"? I'm not native to Cali nor do I live there, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is over the nickname with some people
How's life back in Maray?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthsrtu View Post
I agree. I'll deliberately start using the term "Cali" now more since I know it irritates California natives.
Then do everybody a favor and add it to your collection of neck tatoos.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Why do you care?? What's the bigger issue. No one gets riled up about urban slang to this extent. So it's a lame word. Point conceded. I don't use it. I just could care less if someone else does. Cause that's what we do in California - we live and let live.

I'll tell you why I responded. As I stated, to bash someone for using a word to describe our state is to be exclusionary. That's not what this state is about. It accepts any and all people. And it's not "your" state. You don't have that sort of status here. In fact, no one does.

THAT is why the topic bothers me. It's not about the word. It's about some goober trying to claim the state and tell other people how to refer to it. OK president Reagan, I am sure your contrubutions here have earned that right. At least I have a logical reason for my opinion, grounded in some sort of thought process.

The question is, why does the word bother YOU?? Other than because it sounds dumb.
What is the question posed in the title of this thead? You are simply having difficulty processing the resounding answer.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Lol! Maybe it is all that, but so are plenty of other words used by kids. The funny thing is watching adults get all riled up by it, as if it some sort of assault to their native herritage. Half of you probably don't even live here or worse yet, whine endlessly about our taxes, the traffic, the water shortage, the road work and the government. Your native style sucks in my opinion.

Be thankful for the kids and their perniciuos vacuous blather (I'll have to look both of those words up). They are the ones spending all of the money to keep the economy affloat. And that's a well established economic principle, both in terms of the spending habits of those make next to nothing and the age demographic of those who spend the most. So let the poor kids who are making everyone else rich call this state whatever they want to.

And BTW, the whole "Cali is a city in South America" or wherver the hell it is is a lame response. Emits a pungant smell of someone trying to sound both educated and wordly. Somewhere someone in the city of Cali is reading this and calling you guys idiots right now.
If our "native style sucks"...then why are you so motivated to write novels in our forum?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Dear Sacite:

Please invest in:

1. Dictionary

2. Encyclopedia

3. Some form of spell-check.

Use all 3 before further discussion of native Californians' feelings about use of the term "Cali", which was the original post.

Very truly yours,

A Native Californian

Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I agree. I'll deliberately start using the term "Cali" now more since I know it irritates California natives.
Hella irritates me so its a 2 way street.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJudge View Post
There's nothing wrong with having common traits. If you use Cali, that means you're from out of state. Be proud of it, as we're proud we're not. Tupac was from New York. anyways, it's a dead giveaway. Oh well. Enjoy being from somewhere else.
I use Cali at times and I was born and raised here. Never heard this logic in my life, honestly.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:49 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I own two .45 and a 12 gauge. They can feel free to correct me any time they would like.

Woooo! Another keyboard ninja!

Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 PM

11 posts, read 16,376 times
Cali is the gold standard, considering I spent most of my time there in the bay area we where baylyfe but cali is hella cool for a nickname, don't know why all the hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California