Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Amazon has a full line of groceries available, there is no need to go to the grocery store at all one can get all the groceries including organic ones as well as plastic bags from Amazon Pantry. Lets boycott the big grocers that pushed, bribed, and arm twisted the politicians for this.
Go for it, I will continue using the same reusable bags that I have been using for the past 10 years.
Quote:
Store owners say plastic bag ban causes more shoplifting - seattlepi.com
Easy answer to that one is, any stores you bring into the store are subject to inspection when you leave the store.
Quote:
These situations happen alot in California in jurisdictions that passed similar ordinances as well but the Left leaning one sided media continues to censor it.
Prove it, or at least provide a few examples of it, cause I call BS on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Are Americans so pathetically spoiled that they need to be bribed with complimentary bags in order to not steal stuff? And if so, should that be pandered to?
The issue with shoplifters is that when purchased items are universally bagged by clerks its easy to tell whether someone is about to walk out with a unpurchased item or not. But when people carry large amounts of unbagged items out of the store or in large bags they brought in from outside even after purchase its very difficult to tell whether they had been purchased or not or whether it was brought in from a different store.

btw This is not just an unique to American issue, this has happened in the UK and it happens anywhere around the world where politicians are bought into implementing this Buy your own bag scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Easy answer to that one is, any stores you bring into the store are subject to inspection when you leave the store.
Much easier said then done, Store owners are generally not allowed compel customers to show a receipt or search their bags or they may risk serious legal liabilities. Not to mention bad publicity or lots of angry customers that were once loyal to the store.

One exception is membership warehouses where receipt checking is under condition of the membership signed by the member. Though even there they cannot physically block a shopper from leaving to see their receipt, instead they can only passively notify the member that membership may be terminated or not renewed if receipts are not checked at the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
More people use bin liners to line their bins than use shopping bags? Astonishing.

There's a sound statistical foundation. "If one goes out on a field", that's rigorous.

There is an infinite
Most people do reuse the bags they get from shopping for many household purposes and containing household trash including all those other plastic wrappers from the supermarket is one of the most important reuses of such bags. The handles really help in securely keeping such lose items from flying away from the dumpster/trash can particularly during the collection process.

Maybe I should say out on the field rather I should say out on the streets.

I was on i5 at a rest area and I see a keep California beautiful which does suggest travelers carry a plastic bag to contain their garbage to prevent them from blowing away until they reach a trash can.
Quote:
Go for it, I will continue using the same reusable bags that I have been using for the past 10 years.
If you are really an environmental activist why are you still shopping in a supermarket? 99.7% of the items in supermarkets are pre wrapped in layers of plastics and you would need to drive there in a vehicle filled with plastic parts and fossil fuels which you burn more with the weight of reusable bags in the back. Yet you "environmentalists" mainly frat over the 0.3% use of plastic at the checkout stand. Go to a mom and pop farm instead where they use far less plastic or better yet grow your own food.

Also so many supermarkets such as Lucky and pharmacies in San jose and bay area had to install anti theft barriers since these ordinances started due to the skyrocketing shrinkage loses due to reusable bag related theft. They never had to do so in the past.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 01-10-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
The issue with shoplifters is that when purchased items are universally bagged by clerks its easy to tell whether someone is about to walk out with a unpurchased item or not. But when people carry large amounts of unbagged items out of the store or in large bags they brought in from outside even after purchase its very difficult to tell whether they had been purchased or not or whether it was brought in from a different store. btw This is not just an unique to American issue, this has happened in the UK and it happens anywhere around the world where politicians are bought into implementing this Buy your own bag scam.
Much easier said then done, Store owners are generally not allowed compel customers to show a receipt or search their bags or they may risk serious legal liabilities. Not to mention bad publicity or lots of angry customers that were once loyal to the store.
One exception is membership warehouses where receipt checking is under condition of the membership signed by the member. Though even there they cannot physically block a shopper from leaving to see their receipt, instead they can only passively notify the member that membership may be terminated or not renewed if receipts are not checked at the door.
Most people do reuse the bags they get from shopping for many household purposes and containing household trash including all those other plastic wrappers from the supermarket is one of the most important reuses of such bags. The handles really help in securely keeping such lose items from flying away from the dumpster/trash can particularly during the collection process.
Maybe I should say out on the field rather I should say out on the streets.
I was on i5 at a rest area and I see a keep California beautiful which does suggest travelers carry a plastic bag to contain their garbage to prevent them from blowing away until they reach a trash can.
If you are really an environmental activist why are you still shopping in a supermarket? 99.7% of the items in supermarkets are pre wrapped in layers of plastics and you would need to drive there in a vehicle filled with plastic parts and fossil fuels which you burn more with the weight of reusable bags in the back. Yet you "environmentalists" mainly frat over the 0.3% use of plastic at the checkout stand. Go to a mom and pop farm instead where they use far less plastic or better yet grow your own food.
Also so many supermarkets such as Lucky and pharmacies in San jose and bay area had to install anti theft barriers since these ordinances started due to the skyrocketing shrinkage loses due to reusable bag related theft. They never had to do so in the past.
Guess what, the law passed, it is not going to be repealed in the foreseeable future, so why not save yourself a lot of typing and just find the most convenient way you can to deal with it?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Ummmm, I was just shopping at one of my favorite stores, which just happens to be a vegetarian market & deli. I really like the place and had decided to pickup a few hot entrees, fruit, and Yukon potatoes.

Great, until I got to the checkout and overheard a clerk ask the customer ahead of me if she wanted to pay 10 cents for a paper bag.

HUH?! This market has never used plastic bags, and the price of the paper bag was always automatically included in the overall price of groceries.

Buyer beware, because unless I'm missing something, this sounds like exploitation.

BTW, they also had their own reusable cloth bags on prominent display for sale at 99 cents.
I’ve noticed that some stores now automatically provide either “credits” or 5 cent refunds if you bring your own bag. This includes one store which initially exploited the new bag law by charging people for previously “free” paper bags.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 PM

516 posts, read 429,152 times
Trump will legalize plastic bag use in America on Jan. 21 2017

Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I actually profit from this law. We get 5c back per bag. We get on average .10c to .15c per trip.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I’ve noticed that some stores now automatically provide either “credits” or 5 cent refunds if you bring your own bag. This includes one store which initially exploited the new bag law by charging people for previously “free” paper bags.
True the whole thing is a buy your own bag scam. The big grocers such as Safeway and Albertsons want to stamp out their competition by lobbying the state to mandate price fixing so they can profit off bag fees without fear of customer complaints or shopping elsewhere. Therefore they subject markets even those who don't use plastic bags such as Whole foods to comply with their charging scheme. There is a lot of corruption involved including bribery and backroom deals with the politicians and Grocers. In an unprecedented move the fee was also exempted from the state tax so they get to keep all the profits.

A much more sensible legislation is to provide tax breaks for stores who reduce their total plastic use in their products and rewards customers for reusing and recycling plastics.
This is what whole foods has done for the past few years. Now there is very little plastic containers within Whole Food's aisles compared to any other grocery store

Quote:
Guess what, the law passed, it is not going to be repealed in the foreseeable future, so why not save yourself a lot of typing and just find the most convenient way you can to deal with it?
2sleepy Why do you care so much what I choose to do? Are you moderator or a progressive cop on this website. This state was a much better place before we have too many people like you lobbying and taking office here.

If Trump can take office it would not be unbelievable for the same thing to happen to California and vote out all the mess you progressives got our state into. Believe me San Diego and OC freeways/streets had virtually no street litter prior to November but ever since November 8 garbage had been piling up at an alarming rate on roadsides just like in the Bay Area. Many of the laws violate both the federal and state constitution but is allowed to slide due to the corrupt court system. Believe it or not strictly speaking in CA the bag fee actually requires a super 2/3 majority vote to pass.

If you and others are real environmental activists why don't you all boycott those evil supermarkets which are filled with evil plastics. Rather than cheering just because you just reduced 0.2% of it. Guess what they are just going to use more much plastic prewrapping on fruits. I seen it all in San Jose alternative plastic proliferated after their feel good single use bag ordinance.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 01-10-2017 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Guess what, the law passed, it is not going to be repealed in the foreseeable future...
Now get with it, sleepy; citizen says that they're still counting the absentee ballot votes.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Let me start by saying I do not live in CA at present. But, has anyone considered that re-use of bags will bring insect eggs, bacteria and fungal spores into the stores? Look for an increase in cockroaches and fruit flies in the produce aisle.

Very few people will launder/disinfect their bags every time after they have used them, and while most of us live in a 'bug free' environment, not everyone does.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
has anyone considered that re-use of bags will bring insect eggs, bacteria and fungal spores into the stores? Look for an increase in cockroaches and fruit flies in the produce aisle.

Very few people will launder/disinfect their bags every time after they have used them.
Most people put their fresh vegetables inside one of those flimsy plastic bags provided in the produce section first. Same with meat, etc.

No one needs to wash their recyclable bags after every use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California