Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 09:05 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not me. And I don't know any "liberals" who are "fed up." (And I used to be a registered Republican.) You go, Joe Biden.

Biden framed the Nov. 6 midterm election as a “battle for America’s soul”... Biden slams GOP's 'cultish devotion' to Trump as he stumps for California Democrats - Los Angeles Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You apparently have me confused with another poster with CA in his/her user name.
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...e-members.html
You're applauding Joe Biden promoting CA politicians. You believe there's a battle for Americas soul? What is at stake?

If anything, it's things like forcing gender discrimination on company boards like the law that was just bpassed by those CA politicians, that's rotting this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I disagree. He deliberately delayed the young immigrant in Texas from being able to get a legal abortion in TX before it would be too late.

So, does that make him honest? Not on your life.

We just heard I don't know how many speeches on how he rules by law, not his preferences. Even against bush, the president that appointed him. Even D's fearing that he follows the letter of the law too closely. D's best tactics were scrutinize his year book pictures and highly questionable accusation covered in FBI finger prints.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
We just heard I don't know how many speeches on how he rules by law, not his preferences. Even against bush, the president that appointed him. Even D's fearing that he follows the letter of the law too closely. D's best tactics were scrutinize his year book pictures and highly questionable accusation covered in FBI finger prints.
Sure. Did he follow the law with the young woman in TX? Yes. He made very convincing arguments about how it made sense to re-think the process, wait for this and that...

All this says is that he's very smart. He knows how to skirt the laws so that nobody could ever say he broke a law. He can say he is just really careful about deliberating all of the facts - so that it takes just long enough so the girl couldn't get a legal abortion under TX law.

Does that make him a man of integrity? Sure, he never broke any laws. But, he made sure that he screwed her by deliberating just long enough so that she couldn't legally get an abortion. Or, at least, that was his intent. Fortunately, there was a higher authority that her attorneys could appeal to, and who stopped his delaying games and got her the abortion she had a legal right to. And the reports said he was absolutely livid. And now that we know his temperament, it's very believable that he was livid in a crazy way.

This is why it's so frightening to put him into the highest authority, where there is no higher court.

Please, Ruth Ginsberg - don't ever die.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Quote:
Sure. Did he follow the law with the young woman in TX? Yes. He made very convincing arguments about how it made sense to re-think the process, wait for this and that...

All this says is that he's very smart. He knows how to skirt the laws so that nobody could ever say he broke a law. He can say he is just really careful about deliberating all of the facts - so that it takes just long enough so the girl couldn't get a legal abortion under TX law.

Does that make him a man of integrity? Sure, he never broke any laws. But, he made sure that he screwed her by deliberating just long enough so that she couldn't legally get an abortion. Or, at least, that was his intent. Fortunately, there was a higher authority that her attorneys could appeal to, and who stopped his delaying games and got her the abortion she had a legal right to. And the reports said he was absolutely livid. And now that we know his temperament, it's very believable that he was livid in a crazy way.

This is why it's so frightening to put him into the highest authority, where there is no higher court.

Please, Ruth Ginsberg - don't ever die.
Suck it up. You libs lose another one just like you will next month.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Kavanaugh rules for big business and the ultra rich, that's the goal of the federalist society and they are the ones who provided his name to Trump. Don't ever look to him to protect your rights.

https://www.citizen.org/sites/defaul...ons-report.pdf

Old 10-05-2018, 11:59 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Just got my California General Election Packet. Gavin Newsom is either so arrogant or lazy that he didn't even make a candidate statement. I mean, I know he approached the Lt. role with a the 1 day a week tops classification....but this dude can't even bother to make a statement?

We can't elect this guy. I'm voting Cox.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:01 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
The really disappointing thing about Collins, was that she said she believes a victim of attempted rape could actually not remember whose eyes she was looking into, while he was attempting to rape her. Does anyone with a brain in their head really, honestly believe that a woman wouldn't remember who, exactly, was trying to rape her and who she thought might actually kill her - especially when she knew who he was, by name and personal experience?

I just can't understand how anyone could possibly think she wouldn't remember who her attacker was. It's just a completely insane excuse to simply move the GOP agenda forward, regardless of the new devil they just made a deal with.

And God help them when their daughter or granddaughter faces a situation where she was raped or attacked, or wanted an abortion and Kavanaugh supports some crazy right wing agenda to deny her the right to make her own decision regarding her own body, or sides on rapist's allegations that just because nobody else was there who is willing to be a credible witness - it must not have happened.

What's happening is absolutely frightening. I feel like this must be what it felt like in Germany when Hitler was coming into power. People must have kept thinking - no, this can't really be happening, surely things will go back to sanity...

Fortunately, we can change things, but people must vote. It's our only defense. And it's no laughing matter. We simply must start voting for sanity and empathy and reasonableness.
You're right. A woman would definitely remember her attacker and my heart goes out to Mrs. Ford and any young girl, woman, young boy or man who is violated in such a vicious way. I commend her for being brave enough to come forward, although I do feel she wasn't given the opportunity to give her testimony in private and THAT was a tactic used by politicians.

Politicians are scum. They will do anything to win and this has now become an all out war of right vs. left. Collins' statement wasn't attacking Ford. It was about how we've come to a point where accusations of something are taken as fact without evidence but that's an exhausting discussion that's been going on elsewhere on City-Data.

As for Kavanaugh, I don't think he was a choir boy in high school or college. Many young men aren't. Every parent should be driving that home to their children now because I see a change in the future. How they act today will make a difference later.
Used to be a time when you could act like a hooligan and get away with it because you changed when you grew up but as we're seeing in today's political climate, you better be on your best behavior after birth or you could end up sitting before a committee some day explaining what you did and why you did it when you were a kid.

This is pretty much how I feel about Newsom. Anyone who paid attention to politics in California over the years knows his history. He's no pillar of society either. Of course, if I had been judged on my teenage history, I doubt anyone would have given me a job. I breathe a sigh of relief those days are behind me.

Still looking forward to an exciting election this year, though.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:06 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Just got my California General Election Packet. Gavin Newsom is either so arrogant or lazy that he didn't even make a candidate statement. I mean, I know he approached the Lt. role with a the 1 day a week tops classification....but this dude can't even bother to make a statement?

We can't elect this guy. I'm voting Cox.
I made a similar comment earlier in this thread. His statement is blank. Apparently, you and I aren't the only ones asking that. On the news the other night, a reporter asked him the same question (as she had gotten a lot of questions from voters on this). His answer was that a candidate must accept the cap on donations agreement (sorry, can't remember what it's called) and he wasn't willing to do that so his statement was omitted. (his words, not mine) I guess he feels money means more than telling people like you and me (and others) what he believes is best for the state and why we should vote for him. He's an ass. (my words not his)

Old 10-06-2018, 06:33 AM

26,736 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
You're applauding Joe Biden promoting CA politicians. You believe there's a battle for Americas soul? What is at stake?
You can't read the article?

Biden framed the Nov. 6 midterm election as a “battle for America’s soul,” urging voters to put a check on the president.

Former Vice President Joe Biden accused President Trump’s Republican allies in Congress of choosing “party over country” as he campaigned in Orange County for Democrats running for the U.S. House.

“The truth itself is being thrown aside in favor of a cultish devotion to the whims of one man,” Biden told hundreds of campaign volunteers Thursday at a Cal State Fullerton rally, citing the confirmation hearings of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

“Look at the behavior of Republican senators during the recent testimony of Judge Kavanaugh. Look at the behavior of this president every day,” he said. “Lies have never been more brazen. Blind rage and brute partisanship has never been more palpable.”

Biden attacked GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of Costa Mesa for his friendly posture toward Russia. He called Rohrabacher’s Democratic challenger, Rouda, “a fighter for California, not an apologist for the Kremlin.”

Biden also berated Trump for his equivocation last year when neo-Nazis marched in Charlottesville, Va., chanting “the same exact anti-Semitic bile heard in the streets of Nuremberg in the ’30s.” He went on to conflate their ideology with Trump administration policies.

Quote:
If anything, it's things like forcing gender discrimination on company boards like the law that was just bpassed by those CA politicians, that's rotting this country.
Your opinion, not mine. That was the topic of NewToCA's thread (which was pointed out to you before).

Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 AM

26,736 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Good point.

No matter who wins in November, the next governor won’t resemble most Californians.

In a state where Latinos outnumber whites, women outnumber men and the median family income is just under $64,000 a year, both gubernatorial candidates are white men who earn more than a $1 million a year.

Once again, the next governor will not resemble the average Californian - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California