Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:14 AM

50,244 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Why do those constantly defending the state thread crap on threads of those trying to move out of CA. It's almost like they want even more people to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 10:03 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why do those constantly defending the state thread crap on threads of those trying to move out of CA. It's almost like they want even more people to move here.
I've thought the same thing for quite some time. And then they try to turn the subject matter around and always imply everyone is picking on them. Complete hypersensitivity. I find it very helpful to hear from others. Some of us are actually thinking about leaving the state and do value comments from others and whether they have had success doing it. It's simply childish the way people act on this forum related to any criticism or helpful hints from others. I noticed the same thing happened to your thread.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
A lot of us left for financial or other reasons even though we still love the state. I don’t post here much anymore but still pay attention to what’s happening, as it’s still the best of the 50 states (even if your average person can’t afford to live on the coast anymore).
We left in the early 80s as well as many we knew to go to work in DC. Some returned, probably most, but we know some who did not. We still have family and friends there but many have left since returning. For most of us it wasn't just the col, it was the crowds, the traffic, and it just didn't seem as much like home as when we were growing up. We still do visit once in awhile and came close to moving back about 20 years ago. We would have moved to Paradise. I guess God was looking out for us, cause lord knows Paradise is anything but now. We still like Sacramento better than anywhere we have lived in the state. Now, I can add another reason CA has lost so much of its charm for us: Homelessness and I have to admit politics. My niece who is about to retire actually will be locating in Pres. AZ I never thought she and her husband would leave the L.A. area but she says between the homelessness and the politics she has had it. My brother who lives in NO. CA feels the same. He has put his house on the market and intends on moving to southern part of Or.

I still don't understand why people who no longer live in CA should not post on the thread, especially if they have something to add or advise to offer. I don't understand why someone would post just to dump on the state, but even then tit is a public forum and everyone has a right to throw in their opinion

Old 08-20-2019, 10:22 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
... close to moving back about 20 years ago. We would have moved to Paradise. I guess God was looking out for us, ...
Interesting that god was looking out for you and not all those other residents

Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
I've followed the forum for Prescott for a few years. It seems it's nearly become a "Little LA" as so very many folks from SoCal have relocated there. Of course this is virtually all retirement age folks (like myself) so it's very much geared toward senior living.....not a bad thing. Many get tired of the trappings that come with mega population densities.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Funny that while I post in CA forums, still, after moving to AZ about 5 months ago, I don't miss visiting or the concept of CA at all. Strange since it was my home since the early 80s, and I loved it then. Greatest state of all. But then, we all know what happened. Freedoms declined, the word 'ban' starting creeping in whenever it has something to do with non progressive lifestyle, and it really became un-fun. Also the crowds, the homeless growth, the tolerance and almost encouragement of drug abuse, taxes, the list goes on. Even with the oppressive heat in summer AZ, compared to the perfect coastal CA summer climate, I still have zero melancholy about leaving the CA. That's how bad CA got for me.

And I hope AZ doesn't follow in CA's footsteps. This is one of the last great free states. All progressives pls stay in CA, you've got your utopia.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:55 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
I moved first to Redwood City back in 82. It was the years of promise and great income, which indeed it WAS for me and most of my counterparts who came there at that time. The 80's in the Bay Area was a wonderful time. Traffic was no nightmare. Heck you could run 90mph many times of the day on I-280 from SF to San Jose and make amazing time with no traffic issues. In 84 we moved to our first home in Half Moon Bay. It was amazing to take the little Hwy92 over the hills to the coast. There was a building moratorium at that time which kept it nice, small and quiet. (except on hot summer days the East Bayers came in droves making it a mess). But otherwise it was peaceful and quiet. As the interest rates began to hike up and the cost of living did as well in the early 90's we finally threw in the towel in 93 and moved to a much more tolerable Salt Lake City. 24 years I stayed there until we finally had enough of their massive growth, hikes in taxes and unreal traffic issues. March of 2018 Had a nice home built out of state in a rural community and am loving the small town life without growth, traffic, crime and rude people. It took a lifetime to find it but finally did. I did first look at Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Washington but after finding too many negatives with all those went elsewhere and feel this move was dead on the right way to go. It may not be for everyone and for that I'm glad.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:03 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Funny that while I post in CA forums, still, after moving to AZ about 5 months ago, I don't miss visiting or the concept of CA at all. Strange since it was my home since the early 80s, and I loved it then. Greatest state of all. But then, we all know what happened. Freedoms declined, the word 'ban' starting creeping in whenever it has something to do with non progressive lifestyle, and it really became un-fun. Also the crowds, the homeless growth, the tolerance and almost encouragement of drug abuse, taxes, the list goes on. Even with the oppressive heat in summer AZ, compared to the perfect coastal CA summer climate, I still have zero melancholy about leaving the CA. That's how bad CA got for me.

And I hope AZ doesn't follow in CA's footsteps. This is one of the last great free states. All progressives pls stay in CA, you've got your utopia.
It's too late

Mark Kelly leads Martha McSally in new poll

Old 08-20-2019, 06:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

Surprisingly this is how I have begun to feel. I love the State, born and rasped there, started multiple businesses there, lived all over SoCal. But the last couple of trips depressed me. The things you mention are bad and only will get worse. My wife and I have even found it hard to want to visit. May be there this November, but not absolutely sure now. I miss CA, but it is the much better CA of the past.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:32 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
...I still have zero melancholy about leaving the CA. That's how bad CA got for me.
How unfortunate.

It's like another perfect day, we love L.A. (and California)!

The Ten Healthiest States in the U.S.:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...the-us?onepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California