Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 02:43 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
us
“Us”?

Old 11-01-2020, 03:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I may not agree 100% but well thought out and well written. But a question; why can't those who are not yet vaccinate wear masks but otherwise take the risk?
While masks offer a little protection to their wearers, their main purpose is to protect others from those who wear them, who might be asymptomatic carriers of Covid-19 who might well inadvertently and unknowingly help spread the virus.

Some people seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of protecting your brothers and sisters, and instead focus entirely on their own (very minor) discomfort and inconvenience. But by wearing a mask, you are helping keep others from being forced to "take the risk".

The idea of social responsibility and behaving in ways that foster the common good seems to be very alien to some, sadly enough.

If you are questioning why people can't just wear masks and live in normal (i.e. unsocially distanced) ways otherwise, it's because eventually the masks have to come off, if those normal ways include eating in restaurants, visiting bars, and other activities which include close contact with others.

All it might take would be one close contact with someone who is asymptomatic - or someone who is infectious and knows it but just doesn't care - and who puts even mask-wearers at risk.

Even masked individuals who are unknowingly infectious have spread the virus. I lost my cousin to such a situation.

So taking all possible precautions makes excellence sense, when faced with something so lethal, that has caused and continues to cause great tragedy and loss for hundreds of thousands of people.

My mask stays on whenever I leave my car or my yard (or whenever anyone else sets foot in my yard). No one comes into my home minus a mask, and my social life is presently all virtual. I order groceries and get them placed bagged into the back of my car. Doctor visits are by telephone. Just wish I could get a virtual flu shot tomorrow...

Everything else can wait.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 11-01-2020 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-01-2020, 03:34 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
While masks offer a little protection to their wearers, their main purpose is to protect others from those who wear them, who might be asymptomatic carriers of Covid-19 who might well inadvertently and unknowingly help spread the virus.

Some people seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of protecting your brothers and sisters, and instead focus entirely on their own (very minor) discomfort and inconvenience. But by wearing a mask, you are helping keep others from being forced to "take the risk".

The idea of social responsibility and behaving in ways that foster the common good seems to be very alien to some, sadly enough.
Agreed.That is why I am in favor of masking anyone who may be a carrier, symptomatic or asymptomatic, until a vaccine proves generally effective and there is any significant disease penetration in the relevant area.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I guess you will be okay to wear it in the future if government decides that it's good idea to have citizens wear it during annual flu? How about if it's decided that everyone should get annual flu vaccine, you also okay with it? It's basically slippery slopes that we as socciety going down
Haven't had the flu lately, have you?

Old 11-01-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Agreed.That is why I am in favor of masking anyone who may be a carrier, symptomatic or asymptomatic, until a vaccine proves generally effective and there is any significant disease penetration in the relevant area.
Yes - and that description includes just about everyone. I think it would help the general feeling of uncertainly and gloom and doom if a reasonable accurate, if approximate, schedule of how and when distributing and administering the vaccine would be likely to occur could be made public.

I know I'd feel a lot more reassured if I knew that by, let's say, May - I could get vaccinated and be able to loosen up a bit: visit friends and relatives. Eat out. Resume club meetings (most of the members of the two groups I belong to are also high-risk). Go to in-person church services. Shop for new clothes. Borrow library books (they're open now, but I am still too high-risk to take that chance). Take short overnight trips - just for starters.

It would so good to have those unremarkable activities to realistically anticipate, and I expect that's true for most. I also think most of us will never take things for granted again, after enduring and I hope surviving this terrible, tragic time. I know I will never forget.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:54 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It would so good to have those unremarkable activities to realistically anticipate, and I expect that's true for most. I also think most of us will never take things for granted again, after enduring and I hope surviving this terrible, tragic time. I know I will never forget.
That is one reason I look forward to going to work even more, and tennis, despite a moderately bad tendonitis.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:56 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
That doesn’t really make sense. At some point you have to reopen. Under Newsom’s color system, there is no way to fully reopen. Any system should have a category to reopen as normal.
I’m sure they’ll update it when it’s safe to do so. Considering that we’re starting on the uphill curve of a big spike and that nothing will be done at a national level at least until late January (or later if Trump is re-elected), I don’t think we’ll be in a safe place for at least 6 months (assuming the vaccine rollout is successful).

Old 11-01-2020, 05:48 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
I will never receive a vaccine shot for COVID-19 because I live alone, work from home since 2016 and I have cats not kids and all of my family is in Heaven.

I do not do flu shots either.

I also do not believe in Western Medicine.

Herbal teas and herbs and a healthy diet coupled with lots of sex by my own device
have kept me feeling good.
I know a guy that lives in these conditions. He's serving "50 to life" at Corcoran. (Only got 37 years to go!)

Unless he gets the 'rona. Then he's a free man...

Old 11-02-2020, 07:11 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I know a guy that lives in these conditions. He's serving "50 to life" at Corcoran. (Only got 37 years to go!)

Unless he gets the 'rona. Then he's a free man...
According to Gov. Newsom, prisoners whose crimes were violent and those classified as sex offenders are not eligible for early releases due to Covid. Those with domestic abuse cases also are not eligible.

Old 11-05-2020, 04:16 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Despite COVID-19 spike, few individual behaviors are changing:

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-pol...onavirus-index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California